1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) events – Prius Gen 3, 2011 model in UK

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenJuice, May 2, 2014.

1. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I slight misunderstanding here, so I apologise if I was not clear. I do not normally have my foot on the gas pedal when adjusting the speed in cruise control. Once cruise is on, I take my foot off and just use the cruise stick on the steering column to go up or down in speed. This is why I couldn't be *sure* if a possible explanation for the pedal movement could lie with the cruise control mechanism.

I did have my foot on the gas pedal for the SUA events when they occurred, and each time the gas pedal distinctly dropped away from my foot.

And this remains an important part of the unexplained puzzle - what could possibly cause the pedal movement?

I went out on the Motorway to test out what happens with DRCC today. The version of cruise control on this car is the Toyota Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Speed increments are set at 5mph steps for each movement of the Cruise stick. The car will accelerate by itself, without your foot on the gas pedal, in three situations:
    1. Setting a higher speed using the stick on the steering column
    2. Hitting 'Resume' after braking
    3. When locked on the car in front using Dynamic Radar, and the car in front accelerates, or if you pull out into the next lane, with the cruise set at a higher speed. Once the car radar detects the road ahead as clear it will accelerate to the set speed.

For each test, I rested my foot gently on the gas pedal to feel any movement. *There was none*.

Although the third situation was the most difficult to test properly, I think this reasonably eliminates the DRCC as a possible mechanism for pedal movement.

What of the suggestion that the gas pedal is not releasing fully, leading me to think that the car is accelerating?
    My historical posts will indicate my interests in hypermiling techniques with assisted instrumentation, firstly with the Gen 2 and now in the Gen 3. Over the years, this does develop a sensitive right foot. If traffic conditions allow, my regular practice for pulling away from a stop situation is to gently get the car rolling on electric only (HSI to the left). This was the situation on that first SUA event. There were no other moving cars on that road. The evidence for acceleration was tactile (I felt being pushed into the seat), auditory (I heard the ICE come on and revs increase) and visual (I saw the speed indicator rise and the RPMs rise on the Scangauge to around 1950 - 2100). I had to control and hold the speed with my foot on the brake, removing the tactile evidence of acceleration, but could still hear and see evidence of the ICE revving, all the time until I pulled in to came to a halt, all the time with my foot on the brake.
    Later, I did consider that the car must still have been in S1b of the warmup cycle at that time (coolant temp <40C), but the RPM in that stage (when your foot is off the gas pedal) is around 1280, significantly and noticeably lower. There was a later SUA which took place after S4, which reasonably eliminates the warm-up cycle as a possible link - in other words, it can explain the ICE-on, but not the pedal motion and SUA.

At this time, I have no other ideas of what could explain the gas pedal motion, and would be grateful to receive any.

Thanks for the p.m., it is much appreciated. So far I have been fortunate not to receive criticism, although I am we'll aware that there will be many who would view my post with incredulity and disbelief. If you are in this position, do check out my other posts over several years and you will see that I am not that kind of person.

I did get down, and used a big torch! There was nothing there and also no indication of any kind of 'sensor' under the pedal.

I decided to replace the floor mat, which if your experience is the best explanation so far received, may prompt the SUA event to happen again. I have another eleven days before the car goes in for 'diagnostics' so there is an opportunity for more testing. These photos show the floor mat back in exactly the position when I removed it yesterday - hooked into place and stopping short and well below the bottom of the gas pedal.

You will see that I have a minimalist approach to keeping the car clean and clear of clutter - it helps with hypermiling as well!

photo 2.JPG
    photo 1.JPG

I will indeed report back on what they say. If anyone has any ideas on any other tests I could do, let me know.

At the very least, I do have one indisputable and witnessed event that the car was not behaving correctly. For two of the SUA events, I slipped the car from Drive into Neutral and a yellow triangle appeared with a continuous alarm sound. Today, I tested the normal operation of this several times. If you slip the car from Drive to Neutral, you just start slowing down - there is no warning sign and no alarm and this is the normal behaviour.

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Greenjuice for the additional information and clarification. It could be any number of things causing your car's strange behavior; software, electromagnetic interference, mechanical interference, etc. You didn't indicate if your car has ever been in an accident. Also the DRCC could be the cause of some/all of the problems, whether it's turned on or not. If you can create a reproducible event before taking the car to the dealer, that would allow you to demonstrate to the Service Technician what is happening, to avoid the possibility of having the car returned with a "can't reproduce problem" result. I'm sure we're all curious to find out what the problem is and how it was fixed.

GreenJuice likes this.
  3. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had to get a front panel beaten out a year ago after someone turned into me when I was stationary at a junction. Low speed scrapes and mysterious dents that appear in supermarket car parks are part of life in London!

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked and my gas pedal is completely different. It has thick plastic and not metal wire arm. Is this because the LHD vs RHD thing?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must have been a pea under the first one.:cool:

6. CharleneBlake

CharleneBlake New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you able to get videotape of the problem in progress to post on YouTube? Post the dashboard lights as well.

So, WHY is Toyota trying so hard to CONVINCE its own customers and the public that its vehicles suffer from SUA caused only by 1) improperly placed or type of floor mats (huh?); 2) sticky accelerator pedals (like those pesky sticky Sienna minivan sliding doors?); or 3) pedal misapplication (oh...the little old lady theory?). Why does it IGNORE the recent findings of the electronic experts?

Michael Barr, renowned embedded systems expert, after studying Toyota’s ETCS-I far longer than NASA did, found the existence of faults in the software which could lead to a real-world, potentially-catastrophic SUA event with a number of potentially ineffective fail-safes. Imagine flying down the road in a Toyota with no functioning brake override to exit a software task-death! Isn’t that a bit like being on a high-speed roller coaster and having the track fail to keep you on? And want to know the most SHOCKING part? Toyota reportedly didn't have a copy of the code in their OWN monitor chip! Michael Barr and company had to SHOW them! Can we just say, “Scary!”

Toyota cites that there is no electronic cause for SUA in its vehicles based on the short-duration investigations by NHTSA and NASA. Michael Barr and other experts have shown these studies to be scientifically seriously flawed. First, the ETCS-I software investigation was extremely limited. Only a SMALL FRACTION of the embedded software was tested by NASA.

Secondly, Toyota misrepresented the presence of EDAC RAM (error detection and correction random access memory) while indications of this issue were apparently redacted in the original NHTSA report. This misled NASA into NOT LOOKING INTO a number of potential sources of failure – which they may otherwise might have.

If and when you consult Toyota, you will not be impressed with what it tells you. The to runt is Toyota doesn't want to address the ELECTRONIC component of its sudden unintended acceleration.

Get as much video evidence as you can BEFORE you bring it in for diagnostics. Keep an extra copy for safekeeping if you share with Toyota. Many owners who know they were not at fault in accidents have been told by Toyota that they are to blame.

I've shared some very good links on the Toyota and Lexus sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) matter on Twitter.

GreenJuice likes this.
  7. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I understand what you say.
    As an intermittent problem, I would need something like a GoPro rigged up to do a continuous loop. It won't be easy to prove that my foot was not on the gas pedal at the same time, but capturing the yellow triangle when shifted to Neutral might help. I am kind of getting myself mentally prepared for what you say. In the end, I know I will be completely in their hands and might have to just live with it. If others find themselves in a similar situation, I hope my postings will show that is is OK to keep safe if it happens.

8. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greenjuice,

Back when we were all running around in little circles with the original Toyota unexpected acceleration events, quite a bit of attention was spent by various and sundry at exactly how, on the Prius in particular, pedal movement got its way into the engine controller.

It turns out that in the 2010/2011 models of the time, the acceleration pedal was a spring-loaded arm. At the pivot point were a pair of Hall-effect sensors whose electrical outputs went straight into the engine controller. It's pretty clear that the engine controller did a analog-to-digital (ADC) conversion on the Hall outputs of the pedal sensor, compared the two for sanity, then went on its merry way.

You'll note that this is true fly-by-wire. There's no cable in there. I've owned cars for quite a time, plenty of which had cruise control. Those cars, some with fuel injection, some without, largely had cables going to the air mass throttle (fuel injection) valve in the air intake or, on the carbureted cars, the throttle valve in the carburetor body.

In those cars with cables (non fly-by-wire) that also had cruise control, the cable either ran through the cruise control mechanical system or there was a second cable that attached to whatever throttle valve there might be. In either case, when the cruise control was active, as the cruise control added or removed throttle, the pedal in the car would move up or down.

But, as we're all having fun pointing out around here, the Prius isn't like that. The cruise control is done in software inside the engine controller, which is inside the passenger compartment somewhere. The throttle on the internal combustion engine is directly controlled by a servo with feedback sensors: There's no cable back into the passenger compartment. Finally, there's no actuator inside the car attached to the pedal, which might, if one was madly guessing, be providing that force-feedback that these older cars might have.

OK. Let's say that you're right about the pedal moving. Then I call loose car-part shenanigans:
    1. Loose bolt that holds the pedal/pedal arm in place.
    2. Loose bolt on the switch that that turns off the cruise control, if there is one. There's one on the brake pedal, for sure; there may be some switch on the gas pedal arm that's come loose.
    3. Wires that have disconnected themselves from on high and are lying across the gas pedal.
    My suggestion: Slide the driver's side seat all the way back, put the back down as far as you can, put your body in there so your head is down where your feet would normally be, and start grabbing anything that looks likely and start pushing and pulling. And looking around. Look for funny draped wires, control cables for the air conditioning, anything that Really Shouldn't Be There. Bet you find something.

KBeck

GreenJuice likes this.
  9. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK thanks KBeck. That makes a lot of sense.
    If the gas pedal is simply spring loaded, with a sensor at the pivot point, and no servo or actuator to provide any force-feedback then it can only be that the pedal must have been physically pushed.

I can understand why anyone reading this would think 'the OP is a fool'! So I am more than grateful to you for taking the time to respond to my posts!

So I have had my head down there for the last half-hour, tugging at anything loose. There is only the SGII cable shown on the top right of the second photo, which is held with a tie. I even tried changing my shoes to a larger boot to see if my foot could have been catching on anything.

I am left with the unexplained yellow triangle when shifted to Neutral and friendly-jacek's posting that his gas pedal looked different to mine, making me wonder if there might be a unique spec to this car (the 'Safety Pack' option was a bit pricey and perhaps not popular).

Your post has given me some leads and I appreciate that very much.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just looked at mine which is an early built 2009 RHD gen3. It's exactly the same as far as I can tell, including the little curl round part at the bottom of the accelerator.

Wonder if the US spec has a special one?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably. we got the ones made in indiana that stick.(n)

12. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:

So the car went in for its ‘diagnostic check’ today. It was always going to have been an interesting day. I just didn’t realise HOW interesting it was going to turn out!

Background:
    I spent the last week trying the reproduce the SUA with no success. I even found an old spare car mat and doubled up on the existing mat (secured with cable ties) for a few days just to test out Grumpy’s experience, as he is the only person who has posted an experience like mine.

I also tested out all several situations of shifting from Drive to Neutral to see if I could get the yellow triangle and alarm to come on. Tried it while accelerating briskly, while accelerating in Cruise Control and also with ‘Resume’ on C.C. Same result each time – the car just ‘pips’ once, no alarm and no yellow triangle.

Today, I prepared the car as I always do before a service. I emptied it of all contents; checked the mat again and took a reading on the trip meter, before driving it to Jemca.

At the Garage:
    I decided my best strategy was to focus on the problem with the yellow triangle & alarm, which I said happened when I shifted from Drive to Neutral. Then, when asked why I was doing that, I *first* explained that I was an experienced Prius driver who really believes in these cars, but I had experienced some unexpected events and then went on to describe the SUA; including the fact that one of them was experienced by another driver, so not just me. I could sense that this was not going down well....

End of the day:
    So I get a call that the car is ready for collection…..

The good news:

a ) they have taken the opportunity to fix the recent recall issue.

b ) all diagnostic checks are clear and they cannot find any problem with the car. (I think we all expected this!)

The bad news:

c ) they tell me that when they found the car, one side of the drivers mat had come off its clip and the whole mat was found rotated and slipped under the accelerator!

You all know from my previous postings how aware I was that the mat is always to be blamed first. The journey to the garage was 4.6 miles. I had checked the mat obsessively over the last 2 weeks *and* before I left the house. There was *no way* I would have left the mat in a position like that, let alone without realising it!

d ) they tell me that they took the car for a good test drive and nothing happened. I checked the reading on the trip meter when I got home. The round trip was 9.2 miles. That test drive would have been less than the measurement error of 0.1 miles!

e ) they then tell me that I should not have shifted the car from Drive to Neutral. They say a ‘senior engineer’ has looked into this and you ‘always’ get an alarm and yellow triangle if you shift to Neutral when driving! They then 'advised' me not to do this again. I said I had been testing this extensively over the previous weeks and then explained what I found normally happens when you do. The service rep said, ‘well I hear you say one thing, by my senior engineer is telling me something else’.

Summary:

So there you have it. Good news is that I can now reassure my mother-in-law that the car has been *fully* tested and there is *nothing* wrong with it (she was a passenger for two of these events, one with me driving, the other when my wife was driving)!

Sad news is that (going in with *absolutely* no intention if picking a fight, and actually asking for help) I now realise what it feels like to come up against Corporate Toyota! They certainly DO NOT want to know!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't do the following when the car is in Ready.

Get the Toyota rubber mat, pop the carpet mat on top and carefully let it slide under the accelerator with it depressed ever so slightly (like when you're doing 30 mph) and see what happens.

I think Toyota are so scared of being sued about SUA that they automatically go onto ignore mode. Personally I think it was always a trapped accelerator as happened to me. But there again, it doesn't mean that's the end of it. At least you know what to do now should it ever happen again.

14. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But what if you did conduct that experiment, and regained control by shifting to Neutral?

On testing of my Prius, functioning normally, there is no yellow triangle and no alarm. The triangle and alarm during my SUA events we all witnessed by my passengers - so perhaps here our experiences may differ....

iPhone ?

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That would be your risk. Mess it up and it could end disastrously.

The idea of doing it when stationary and switched off (and also for the benefit of other people considering this) is that you can play about and see how it is possible for the accelerator to stick with the mats getting caught up without the risk of crashing, hitting someone innocent or worse.

16. Slotredfish

Slotredfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I posted on another thread with a similar experience. We look at this as a small percentage on vehicles effected. In our case we still do not know why this happened to our vehicle. This is our second Prius and are looking at purchasing another Prius Prime.
    Thank you for posting this incident so others can learn.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking for your other thread now, thank you for sharing your experience