1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Target for Thieves

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Mar 2, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thieves have long since targeted vehicles for radios, air bags, HID head lights, ashtray change, I-Pods & Lap-top computers.....

But the newest craze is 'Catalytic Converters' as they all contain small amounts of platinum, rhodium & palladium and due the the sharp price increase that continues to rise. Are going to make these items a hot commodity. Thieves can get upwards of $80. to $150. a converter.... :blink:

Thieves have already been hitting out-side A/C condencers for the 'DIRTY COPPER' screens they average $100.00 a unit. Gee it only takes a thief 5 mins to remove the copper from the out-side unit. so if they hit 6 units in one day?? :blink: :huh: thats $600.00 for 25 mins worth of work. Providing you dont get caught.. ;)

whats the world coming to?

2. sbradyny

sbradyny New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Down here in South Florida, they were cutting the convertible tops on brand new Honda S2000's, and stealing the seats. The "boy-racers" were putting the seats into their souped-up Honda Civics.

As for "What is the world coming to?" I saw a bumper sticker the other day...... If you are not apalled by now, then you are not paying attention." :(

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Theft is universally condemned. But white-collar crime steals more property, and kills more people than street-crime, yet the police put the preponderance of their resources into fighting street crime, to the almost-total neglect of enforcement against white-collar crime.

Source: The Teaching Company's lecture series Explaining Social Deviance, taught by professor Paul Root Wolpe, professor of sociology at the University of Pennsylvania

If there's something of value, and it's accessible, somebody will try to steal it. But it's noteworthy that people feel more threatened by, and demand more police action against, the more visible but actually less costly street criminal, than the far more damaging board-room criminal.

The above-mentioned course, BTW, talks a lot about how a society decides what is "deviant." It's very insightful. There are no clear-cut answers, but it's depressing to see the lack of logic or common sense that goes into the social determination of what sort of actions to condemn, many of which do not harm society in any way.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good luck squeezing under a Prius, cutting out the catalytic converter and then removing it. :eek:

Thieves like to hit SUVs because of their ground clearance. Their larger converters probably have more precious metals too.

No, I'm not worried about theft of my cc. :)

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 3 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]399493[/snapback]</div>
    You remind me of a guy I once knew . . . [not for very long. he drove us nuts. thankfully he moved out of state] . . . no matter the topic, he tried to divert it into a liberal rant about how something or another was much worse than the topic at hand.

GEE . . . I THINK I WILL TAKE THE CUE AND GIVE IT A TRY FROM A CONSERVATIVE ANGLE: :p

Murder:
    Murder is universally condemned. But . . . every day the police do nothing about the murder of innocent unborn children.

Trespassing:
    Trespassing is universally condemned. But . . . every day the military does noting about the invasion of our nation by hoards of people illegally crossing our borders.

Blah, blah, blah-blah-blah! Give it a rest dude! :rolleyes:

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Apparently catalytic converter theft is a big problem here in Winnipeg. Last week there was a writeup in the Winnipeg Free Press - or was it the Winnipeg Sun, whatever - about a Kia dealership that had a few SUV's vandalized. Nothing was immediately apparent, until somebody fired up the vehicle for a test drive and the Check Engine was on. The motor was also very loud

They brought it into the shop, and ... surprise! A missing chunk of the exhaust system where the catalytic used to be. The Kia dealership was in the process of installing CCTV security. Other dealerships contacted by the newspaper refused comment.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Mar 3 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]399732[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, Sufferin', we're well aware that you don't like to hear views you disagreee with.