1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New temp sensor, same problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KittyDrivr, Dec 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KittyDrivr

KittyDrivr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! So. I have a question because I'm just completely stumped. I recently changed my temperature sensor in my 2011 prius. I bled the air out of the system (maybe still didn't do it long enough(n)) It will be fine for about 15-20 min and then while driving, the temp light comes on. I'll turn on the heat (which sometimes I have and sometimes I don't) and it will take a few minutes, but the temperature light will flash and then go away. If I'm still driving, it will do the same thing another 10 min down the road. I used my scanner and its pulling P0117. I know that's low volt ect sensor. BUT! I put a brand new one in! Is it faulty? I have no leaks, all hoses are attached. I'm at a loss. Any help would be soooo appreciated Thank you so much for taking the time out to read this:D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #2 bisco, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your problem may be the engine coolant water pump or the thermostat. My bet would be the water pump.

How many miles on your Prius?

#3 Brian1954, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  4. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If there are no codes other than P0117, the most likely candidate would be a short in the ECT sensor wiring harness. And given that the problem has persisted across two sensors (neither of which needed to be replaced without first ruling out the harness), it is even more likely.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  5. KittyDrivr

KittyDrivr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! Thank you for replying to my question :D So. I have about 150k and the heater was working totally fine before the temp sensor. The other day while I was driving, just around town, it took awhile for the temp light to come on, then when it did, I turned the heat on (just cool air) and then the check engine light came on (first time doing that since sensor change) and then the heat turned nice amd warm. I'm stumped(n)

bisco likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The ECT is simply a temperature sensitive variable resistor. If you still got the old ECT; get some boiling water and hook it up to an ohm meter. Dip the ECT into the boiling water - there should be a resistance change. The water temperature reading should correlate to the engineering specifications of the ECT. If the ECT it good, it can only be a wiring or ECU issue.

Brian1954 likes this.
  7. KittyDrivr

KittyDrivr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!! I actually changed the temperature sensor, so it's a brand new one. Haha that's why I'm stumped. The car runs great! No leaks, coolant is fine, its just that dumb sensor. I'm beginning to think I just got bad one. It was a Duralast so I thought it would be a good one(n)

8. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Imagine for a moment that your hand has just lost all sensation, and you dip it into a pot of still water. If the water happened to have been at room temperature, no harm done. Different results entirely if the water had been boiling a minute ago, but of course you can't immediately tell because there is no feedback from the temperature sensor (your skin).

With P0117, the car is in a similar situation because the coolant temperature sensor is not reporting anything. The ECM just assumes the coolant temperature to be a fixed 80 °C, but that assumption may be very far off the mark and lead to an engine overheat, and then you're looking at a repair that is may be a couple of orders of magnitude more expensive.

P0117 specifically reports that there is a short somewhere in the ECT sensor circuit. The only three places that the short could be in are the sensor, the wiring harness that connects it to the ECM, and within the ECM itself. Your working assumption was that the original sensor went bad, so you replaced it with a new (aftermarket) one. Why do you still think it is the new sensor that is faulty and not the wiring harness?

#8 Mr. F, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    BiomedO1 likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten a bad new part - that's why you need to test, rather than just throw parts at it. There's also a lot of counterfeit parts floating around out there, kinda like those mis-spelled brand name stuff you find at the dollar tree or flea market..

Just saying...

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long have you had, since new, recent acquisition, somewhere in between? Intake manifold and EGR been cleaned?

11. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let's start back at the beginning:
    You are not telling us the full story. Why did you replace the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor? Did the high temperature light come on and also a check engine light? Did you scan for trouble codes before changing the ECT sensor?

How does the ECT sensor work? It is in contact with the engine coolant and the resistance of the sensor changes when the coolant temperature changes. As the engine coolant increases in temperature, the resistance of the sensor decreases. See post below made by the very knowledgeable ChapmanF:
    [​IMG]
    Also ChapmanF wrote, "The ECM will log a P0117 if the ECT resistance gets so low it looks shorted. But that would correspond to a coolant temperature above 284 ℉ (140 ℃)."

So here is my theory what is happening with you Prius.
    The engine is overheating. The high temperature light comes on. The P0117 trouble code is triggered because the engine coolant temperature goes higher then 284F. The check engine light turns on because of the P0117.
    The ECT sensor is working correctly and did not need to be replaced.

So the main question is why does the engine overheat? My guess is that the engine coolant water pump is going bad and needs to be replaced. So this post is the "full story" which I did not have the time to write in my post #3 above.

In post #5, you said that you have 150k miles on your Prius. Water pump problems usually occur at 150k and higher.

I did some searching on this forum for similar problems that you are having with your Prius and found the following posts:

#11 Brian1954, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would interpret it differently: if you follow a graph of the ECT sensor's resistance, you see that coolant would have to hit 284 ℉ (140 ℃) before a normally-functioning sensor would look like a short circuit.

But what that's really telling you is that a normally-functioning ECT sensor really isn't ever going to look shorted, because 284 ℉ is well above the boiling point of the coolant at the pressure limit of the cap. If the coolant got close to that temperature, the clouds of sickly-sweet steam billowing out of the engine compartment would get your attention before a check-engine light would. (With any luck, you would already have noticed the red overheat light coming on at 248℉.)

So in my interpretation, I would lean more toward P0117 likely indicating that there really is a short circuit somewhere, such as some insulation scraped or chewed off the sensor wiring somewhere. Such a problem, of course, would likely still be there after putting in a new ECT sensor.

CR94 likes this.
  13. KittyDrivr

KittyDrivr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate everyone helping me:D So. when I had to change the temp sensor it was because it kept pulling up code P0118. Due to the fact that the temperature light would come on and stay on and the check engine light as well. Everyone I spoke to said I should change my temp sensor so I did. It ran great and then out of nowhere the temp light started to come back on and do its whole thing. I'm beginning to think it may be the wiring harness as well. How hard is that to change and where is the best place to get it from?

14. KittyDrivr

KittyDrivr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! So. Quick question. Where is the best place to get a temperature sensor wiring harness from. And. How hard is it to change yourself?

15. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before considering replacement, you would still want to verify that the fault exists in the wiring harness before you go about replacing a $1000 cable. D6 is the ECT sensor connector, D28 is the larger ECM connector, and you need to check for continuity between D6-2 and D28-64, and between D6-1 and D28-65. Check also that there is no continuity between D6-2 and body ground.

Only one branch of the wiring harness connects to the ECT sensor. The same harness (part no. 82121-47111, colored blue in the image below) also connects to multiple other sensors and actuators in the engine bay, and replacing the whole thing is, as one might imagine, no walk in the park. It may be easier to repair the harness in place, but you'd first need to determine the location of the damage by visual inspection.
    [​IMG]

And if you were inclined to actually replace the entire harness, a local salvage yard or the Toyota Parts website are good places to start.

CR94 likes this.