1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tire Pressure Sensore...seems to be duplicating antoher sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I input the ID of the new sensor and was expecting to see low pressure since it was sitting next to me. Instead it showed the same pressure and temperature as another tire. There is a code "C2126 Transmitter ID not Recieved (Main)". I'd think if the new sensor was dead it would do like the dead one and show "n/a". Has anyone seen this? I'll google some more

Edit: Ok redid checking the sensor and this time it said "n/a" and the temp says -40 so it seems dead. It's supposed to be new. Has anyone received a new but dead sensor?

#1 Jeffrimerman, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    what tool are you using

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    if the old sensor is laying around then it's probably being read

4. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm using Toyota Techstream. The old sensor stopped sending a signal a couple weeks back it was just "n/a". When I input the new sensor it started just showing data for another sensor. When I disconnected everything turned off the car and went back later to redo then the new sensor was now "n/a". So neither the old or new one is working. I messaged the seller to ask for another sensor. I've checked and changed sensors a few times so I know I did it right. I sent the seller a picture of the ID off the sensor and the ID that shows on the computer so for sure it's the same. I wonder since some sensors can be programmable is it possible the ID on the new sensor has been wiped?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the sensor wasn't in the tire and the tire mounted on the car at the time the car couldn't read it, where was it exactly? (I know, you said "right next to me", but you didn't say exactly where you were.)

I'm not sure what the range limits are for the car's receiver. Also, I think the transmitters conserve battery by not transmitting if there hasn't been motion or a pressure change. Sitting next to you at atmospheric pressure probably doesn't inspire it to sing.

6. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've installed them before and the car reads just fine if they are not in the tire. They just need to be in the same proximity. It was sitting with me inside the car as I usually do. I definitely wouldn't expect the car to sense them if they were in the house someplace but I understand you should ask to make sure. I was in my car. My computer cable is just a few feet so I set the laptop on the passenger chair while I'm in the driver's seat. Are their wireless obdII tools so I can do it from in my house? From the few I connected to my IS250 they worked immediately and showed almost no pressure and if you lightly squeeze them then they show more pressure. In fact to make my tire light go out before I zip tied 2" rubber hoses to them to simulate correct pressure till I got them installed.

The other 3 sensor show pressure and temperature even when the car has been sitting a while but maybe I need to put pressure on the sensor for a while to get it to kick on. I'll google some more but so far nothing like that popped up. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I would throw the old sensor away at least a block away because it can be read 20ft away even when sensor is dead

8. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I think you need the more expensive techstream cable to do tpms

9. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeeeaaahhh no. That's not how computers work. Sorry I don't mean to sound silly but when you erase a sensor from the ecu and then when you check the ecu 10 times and the ID is still gone it doesn't come back to life and haunt the ecu. There are 16 other live sensors in my neighbors garages within 20 feet with fully charged batteries so those would more likely do something. Also the ID showing up is the new sensor so it's impossible for the old sensor to force it's way in if it died weeks earlier. The ecu will only communicate with with the IDs that are in it. The cable I have has done it many times maybe 20+ times but somehow can't address this one sensor doesn't make sense. What you're saying is that the sensor isn't dead and that it's ID is still in the ecu which is the opposite of anything stated.