1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tire Tests from Tirerack.com

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 4, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good deal. Keep us posted on your results. Many people notice either zero mpg hit from the new tires and some even see a gain. Once they break in there will definitely be a gain. :)

2. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still love my ProContact with EcoPlus. This is the tire I would buy again. I got them for $74 each back in March 2011. Now, they are selling for $82 each.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are a great tire from an economic and safety/performance standpoint. They are not the best for mpg, however. Then again, none of the tires they test are great for mpg. :) I'm happy to see the Defender did so well though. This test pretty much nailed my decision to recommend them over the Ascend.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice to see a comparison with the ProContacts in there. I do still like the tires, but don't like the mileage hit. Odd that they don't seem to include mileage in this latest comparison. Unless I didn't read closely enough.

Ah... here it is: "Due to a technical issue we are not able to publish fuel consumption results for this test."

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. They didn't include the mpg information which I find very vexing! I am writing them to see if I can find some unofficial information. I really need to see how the Defender did against the ProContact in terms of mpg. Personally I had no issues with wet weather and the AVID Ascend but I trust TireRack enough not to recommend those tires for people in wet climates anymore.

7. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A REALLY odd question, has anyone installed performance tires on their Prius? My experience tells me that better rubber = more fun. I'm willing to trade some mpg for more smiles. Has anyone done this? Any results? I'm thinking of the Dunlop Star Specs if anyone's curious.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed they have. Expect about 3-4mpg loss or more depending on the tire. Besides the mpg loss, UHP tires tend to wear out MUCH faster so you'll replace them much sooner than you would most good LRR tires. The trade off is better grip. IMO it's better to just upgrade to 17s and use a LRR tire on those. The grip and handling is MUCH better than any 15" tire and the mpg is about the same as an UHP 15" tire.

Since you have a GenII with its undersized tires, you may be better served by going to a wider LRR tire. You'll get better stability and braking and not lose much in mpg if you choose the right tire.

9. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fantastic! Thank you!

10. Paulprius2005

Paulprius2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the advantages of going to 17" tires on my 2005 Prius? It's time to replace tires and looking for best MPG and most miles. Recommendations? Thanks?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you currently run 15" tires then you will suffer a pretty big hit in mpg by going to a 17" tire. There is nothing you can do currently to avoid the hit.

For the best mpg with a decent lifespan the Energy Saver A/S is the way to go. The Bridgestone EP422 is a good tire although most feel it is inferior to the Energy Saver A/S but it is also much cheaper with the $70 rebate. Assuming both tires get a $70 rebate the EP422 is $262 for 4 and the Energy Saver A/S is $386 for 4. The Energy Saver A/S is about 2mpg better than the EP422, however. Wear is good on both tires.

The Defender seems like a good choice but you trade mpg for tread life and a little better performance. Same with the Continental ProContact with Eco plus.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what really confuses me: how do the winter tires end up getting better mpg than the all-season tires? That can't be right? Almost makes me want to get winter tires and keep them on year-round.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They generally have a softer sidewall which may be better for reducing hysteresis. They also have a soft compound which may reduce rolling resistance as well. The problem with using them year round is they will wear out very quickly in warm weather because of that softer compound. So while you may get better fuel economy with a good LRR winter tire, you'll be replacing tires much more often.

16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the noobness, but can you quantify "much more often"?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In hot weather you would probably have to change tires every 10k miles. I would also worry about handling and traction reduction in hot weather.

18. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a lot. How often do you change all-season tires?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the tire. Most tires I recommend should last 40, 000 to 80, 000 or more depending on how you drive.

20. Maine

Maine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just found this forum, first post. I have a set of Michellin tires on a 2007 and I just swapped for winter studless snow tires. I went with Dunlop Graspic DS3's because they were all that were available in a decent snow tire locally.. I've always used either Nokian's, Blizzak's or Graspics..

I went from averaging 44 MPG over the last two tanks to 51 MPG on the last tank. I am finding it hard to believe that the tires can make this big a difference but apparently they can...???