1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New tires at 105 k mpg is way down from 52 to 46 and the drive is off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jendbbay, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

We had a complete set of new tires put on at 60k miles and then this past June, when we are at around 105,000, we bought another set of tires, because when we came in with a flat, they showed me that there was a tear between the bottom and the side, which they claimed had occurred because I had failed to get routine alignments.

I admit to that one sin -- not getting alignments. I was easy prey for them and readily agreed to buy a whole new set, because I didn't like the idea that I would get one new tire and then have 3 older ones. It was a little shy of when we would need them, but I figured I might as well be safe.

So, off I drove with my new set. The car seemed fine on the way home. However, this is not my car. My husband drives it 75 miles minimum each day and he hates the drive since the tires were replaced. He no longer gets his normal 52 MPG, which really disappoints him, and the car feels unstable, floats around, does not stay true, and is late in responding when he tries to turn it a bit to change lanes.

He took it back in and had the alignment checked and they found it was out of alignment again??
    They fixed the alignment again, and he still has the same complaint.

I have to decide whether to drive 90 miles from Santa Cruz to the Luscious Garage in San Francisco, because I am inclined to trust them more, or return to the Firestone Dealership to whine some more. I have appointments at both shops and will cancel one, when I make up my mind. This has to be attended to tomorrow, because we are going out of town on Sunday.

Previous notes to the list have been responded to with suggestions like "Make sure the front tires toe in" and "new tires are always funky like that." I kind of remember that the old tires took a while to wear in, but not this long. I talked to the Firestone manager just now to make sure she knew about the toe in thing and she does. She said she would be absolutely sure she had it done right for us if I bring it in tomorrow. The thing is, I have to pick. Do you think this is worth going in to the widely recognized Luscious Garage or should I go back and whine at the Firestone dealer again? The car drove perfectly before early June when it got the flat.

Any advice?

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I haven't had ours replaced yet but I understand it is quite common for the mpg to drop 5 until the tires are worn in. How long have you had them? And what Firestone tires and size did you have installed? How much air pressure? I'm sure the wheels were balanced.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell us what kind of tires (old/new) and pressure used.
    Be sure to read the TireRack.com article on new tires. If my memory serves, exactly the same tires may register up to about 3-4 mpg less when new due to various factors including more thickness so less revs per mile. Not to mention if you changed kind of tire, could be even more than that. Sometimes too much pressure fells stiffer. I've never aligned mine it's 125k miles old.

4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

That's the stuff! I like that. I never aligned mine either, but I did get this nasty flat that they claimed was from them being out of alignment.

5. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

oops, sorry, I sent that too soon. I do not recall what the second set were, but they were fine and we used them at relatively low pressure compared to people here on Priuschat. We just used the recommendations on the tires themselves, which I think was 35 or 36 or something? all the way around? Now, we have Ecopias and I don't know if there is a specific type or if that matters. They are the right size for the Touring, which has the special size tire. He is driving the new ones at 35 as well, though initially, they were up to 45. It didn't help when they did the second alignment and reduced the pressure.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Are these LRR tires?

7. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

the tires I bought on 6/7/2013 Ecopea EP 422 195/55/16

8. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

no, but what does LRR mean? See below post or my exact tire type.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Low rolling resistance (good MPG)...I think you have them

10. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cancel the Firestone one and go to San Francisco. You will have no regret.

11. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people like the Ecrapea Tires and other hate em. I've never use em, but I've heard they're junk.
    I have the Eco Wing made by Kumho Tire. I like em and they are LRR tires. Mine are bigger than stock and still return the same MPG's. I had stock 175/65/15 and moved up to the 185/65/15 with aftermarket wheels off my Civic. I do run 42 PSI. You might check your tire pressures to verify what's actually in them. If you had the oil changed, you should also check the oil level, cold. Make sure it's not over filled.
    These two thing being wrong will reduce your MPG's.

12. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There would be an expected difference in the handling after putting on the new tires and having the front end aligned. The Ecopias are one of the top choices for the Prius as they are a low rolling resistance tire. I assume it would be too late to have them replaced at this point anyway. Tire pressure may be a factor too with 2 lbs more in the front being needed. I tried the 42-40 and higher and the ride was too harsh so I backed down to 38-36 and like that just fine.

The MPG really sounds typical for new tires until they get maybe 5k miles on them. From all the reports I've read, you can't go wrong with Luscious Garage. They will give you Prius specific personal care that will address any concerns.

13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires don't need to break in. They're not gonna start getting better mileage after 5K Please don't help spread the internet urban myths and/or misinformation :confused:

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

"While many of these individual differences may seem insignificant, it is easy to understand that when they are added together, the new tires may appear to reduce vehicle fuel economy. It also means that a Toyota Prius appearing to get 50.0 mpg just before replacing its worn-out tires with new tires of the same brand, type and size, might be reduced to registering just 47.25 mpg afterwards, even if all of the driving conditions were identical.
    Remember, "your mileage may vary."
    Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires

uart likes this.
  15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The overall diameter of the tires change as they wear. This can effect MPG numbers based on inaccurate mileage.
    The speedometer accuracy changes, but I doubt it's a significant amount. Maybe 1 to 2 MPH over the life of the tires.
    Usually the biggest issue is lower tire pressures are set when a shop works on or replaces tires. Oil changing services
    can alter MPG's by using the wrong oil as well as over filling the engine. Dirty air filters don't help either.

16. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this the Firestone on Water? I've used them in the past. There probably isn't much for Luscious Garage to look at. The only way for us to narrow down the issue is for you to tell us which tires you previously had (before the Ecopia).

iPhone ?

17. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I'm back from San Francisco with a VERY interesting resolution to my problem. At first, the mechanic was very reluctant to look at it and basically said he didn't want to charge me still more money, when surely things are okay and its just that new tires are like this... same thing I heard from many of you. I told him I was not happy with the MPG and that my husband was so unhappy with the way the car drove, that I was worried about our upcoming camping trip.

I insisted that he check out the car for a minimum dx of 30 dollars. Guess what? He immediately noticed that the steering wheel was not centered, which is often an indication of a poor alignment. He drove it around and said it didn't drive that badly. He gave me a choice as to whether he should basically check in and do the alignment. I said absolutely.

He discovered that it was OUT OF ALIGNMENT again/still/ !!!

Also, though my husband was supposedly standing right there when Firestone discovered that the tires were inflated to 45 and that they should be 35, they actually put in only 30 all the way around.

So the car has been going on 30, has been out of alignment -- tows out, not in, and one caber is off. He said this would wear out the new tires much more quickly.

So I'm home, I have 40 lbs of pressure all the way around -- his usual pressure advise to all Prius II owners -- and I have a fresh alignment.

Here's the kicker. MPG on the way to SF was 46. On the way home 56!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, even if there's some slight increase in altitude on the SF side of Highway 1, it isn't much. I've made this trip many times and notice a possible 1 to 2 mpg difference, but I can't recall which direction was higher MPG.

I'm happy that I went to all this trouble AND the Firestone shop's brand new manager said that the guy who talked me into these tires and who managed the two "Alignments" thereto, no longer works there. She has offered to pay for the alignment I had at Luscious Garage. I will be taking her up on that deal to be sure.

Also, Luscious Garage says there is no reason why the alignment will suddenly fall away, once it is correctly done. Also, they could not detect any sign that an alignment had been done recently, though they claim that should be easy to do, from marks left by tools?

So that's my update.

uart likes this.
  18. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I think I meant "camber"

Merkey likes this.
  19. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they were giving you lip service and charging for doing, nothing. I would never go back
    after this lack of proper service. Some shops just think they can get away with ripping people off.
    Glad your car is fixed, this time. I still wouldn't buy a Firestone tire :eek: Happy Trails :)

Merkey likes this.
  20. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too, have never had a successful alignment by any Firestone. The steering wheel is usually off-center and they fail to recognize the importance of doing the zero-pt calibration after the alignment.

However, my recollection is that Luscious Garage does not have a computerized alignment rack, so I'm guessing that they did an alignment via the old-fashioned method? I am curious how accurate this is - but clearly, the results speak for themselves.

iPhone ?