1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tires for best fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Terrigee, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Terrigee

Terrigee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Base model Prius and need new tires. Should I stay with the OE Goodyear Integrity or consider Yokohma Avid Touring or Goodyear Assurance? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires and are very happy with them. Don't notice any change in mpg's compared with the old Integrity's

1 person likes this.
  3. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are many tires that are available to replace the original Integrity tires. I replaced them on my 2005 with Michelin X from Sams and was surprised at how much better the car handeled and the milage after 1500 miles came back to the same as the orginal tires with far better handling.

2 people like this.
  4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two (or is it three?) words. Nokian WRg2s Simply the best tire out there (IMHO), especially if you ever drive in the rain, or even more especially if you drive in the snow! No mileage hit, we are into ours ~30k miles and they look brand new. I have them on another vehicle (subaru) and they are unstoppable in the snow.

2 people like this.
  5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your primary consideration is fuel economy, then take a look at TireRack.com's recent tests of fuel efficient tires on a 2009 Prius:

When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

For the most recent and most comprehensive tests of a wide variety of tires, read Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

If you need an all-season tire that performs well in all 4 Wisconsin seasons (i.e., including snow and ice), then I would get the Hankook Optimo H727 in the 195/60R15 size.

It's Consumer Reports' highest rated tire for real 4 season use. Its performance on snow and ice rates higher than any other all-season tire, and astonishingly, rates as well or higher on snow and ice than most of the winter tires tested by Consumer Reports.

And it's relatively inexpensive, e.g., Gripston.com sells them in the 195/60R15 size for $77.22 each or 4 for $308.88 including free shipping and no tax:

Gripston - Search

6. Terrigee

Terrigee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. I have used Tire Rack for my Miata but don't have time as these tires need to be replaced now. Discount tire has the GY Integrity for $415 and Yokohama Avid Touring for $468 OTD. Sam's has Goodyear Assurance Atour for about $420. I will have to choose one of these because of lack of time to research. Just don't know which one to choose.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're just going to throw money at a tire I'd go with the Ecopia EP100. Seems to be a great tire all around and is inexpensive from TireRack at about $360 shipping. The article Boo posted should give you all the info you need.

8. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live close to Milwaukee, you need excellent tires around here.
    Buy these Gripston - Hankook Optimo H727 for about $308, have then installed in town for $60.
    Top rated tire at a good price, just did it myself.

Good luck..

9. rickius

rickius Junior Member

I live on the California Central Coast. No real adverse weather conditions. Replaced the OEM Integrity tires on my '07 with Goodyear's Assurance Fuel Max at 25,000. Good ride at 41/38. Mileage seems to be at or better than the OEM's...but I've only had them for a few weeks. We shall see.

10. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any additional user feedback?

1 person likes this.
  11. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at purchasing the Yokohama Avid Touring-S in either the stock size or 195 60/15 for my 2006 Prius.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I purchased Michelin Hydroedge and they're great in snow, for stopping distances and haven't impacted my MPG. Michelin still manufactures tires in the USA, if that's important to you.

Big difference in snow handling from that of the stock tires. I no longer get stuck every single year.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, but FWIW, they are a French company, if that matters...

14. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, did a Japanese company not buy them out about 10 or so years ago? H

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope.

Might you be thinking of Firestone which was bought by Bridgestone?

Michelin owns the BFGoodrich Tire and Uniroyal brands now.

It's difficult to keep track of who swallowed who in he corporate world.

1 person likes this.
  16. Racr

Racr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What has been your experience with your choice in tire? I also live California coast, but North. We replaced the original tires after 16K! And went with the Portenza and 38k miles later need to replace the tires again. We are considering the tire you chose.

17. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Racr, I just install GY assurance fuel max .Very happy with tire. They perform well on snow and ice as well. Added benefit! FE is as good or better than the OME Integrities. Hal

18. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    fyi, i have been ordering tires from tirerack for years, and i am amazed how fast they deliver.
    i have to say honestly that most tires i get within 24 to 36 hours, i dont know how they deliver within 24 hours, but they do.
    so dontthink if you order them it will take 2 weeks till you get the tires,i would say within 2 days tops.
    dont overpay at a local tire place, same tires, just cost 50% more.

19. schoonie

schoonie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Had I known what a difference a change in tires would make, especially in snow driving, I would have replaced the original GY tires long before they wore out. Since then I've tried Bridgestone and General all weather and the differnce in snow driving is dramatic with no drop-off in fuel mileage.

20. oguiang

oguiang New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi. Am new to this so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a 2010 Prius (bought in summer of 09) with about 26K and my tires are already in need of replacement. The Firestone near my office is recommending Bridgestone Ecopia100 tires. So far I've found that Michelin Energy Savers, X Radials and the Ecopia tires are commonly used for the Prius. Has anyone had any experience with Ecopia? Appreciate any input.