1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tires For My 2021 Prius Prime XLE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by prime grip, Nov 11, 2022.

1. prime grip

prime grip Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have 55,000 Miles on my original Bridgestone Ecopia EP 422 PLUS 195/65 R15 91S .
    Toyota wants $ 170.00 ea and American Tire wants $163.00 with the 110.00 . Any ideas before i go shopping ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does that mean?

3. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think he is referring to their current promotion of $110 rebate on a set of four tires.

There have been plenty of threads on here regarding tires. It seems to mainly come down to are you happy with the current mpg that you’re getting while sacrificing braking/traction, or are you okay with losing some mpg to get better braking/traction performance.

If you’re happy with what you’re getting from the current tires, you could always get the same tires if they’re still available.

Tirerack.com is always a good resource for tire reviews, even if you don’t end up getting the tires from there. Just try to compare the tires you’re considering to like vehicles when reading their reviews.

prime grip and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tirerack's tire decision guide. Rank the attributes most important to you. After you run the search, if you wish, look for a low rolling resistance (LLR) tire on that list. This may save a sliver of gas or add a sliver of electric range. (There is no industry standard for LLR tires. They are whatever the manufacturer says they are.) Buy your tires wherever you wish, and tirerack is a good place to buy with the tires shipped to an installer near you.
    https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html
    upload_2022-11-12_9-36-42.png

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I chose Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires, because most important to us is getting home in our semi rural area with long distances between tow trucks and tire shops. The DriveGuard is said to be able to run without air 50 miles at 50 mph, but then the tire's junk. A shorter slower drive will leave the tire as repairable as any tire. Traction isn't the best, and the ride isn't the smoothest or quietest, but this is what works for us. You set your own criteria. There is no one "best" tire for everyone.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: it’s LRR (Low Rolling Resistance).

Too, it’s worth treating that label with a grain of salt: there’s no independent LRR testing/rating in North America; tire manufacturers are rating their own tires…

prime grip likes this.
  7. prime grip

prime grip Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    "American tire" tire shop wants $ 163.00 per tire and they will give you $ 110.00 REBATE That's included in the price.
    (It"s Just short hand so i don't have to type all there words that i'm typing now . )

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Costco has Bridgestones on sale now. $150 off a set of 4 with installation.

TGrracie and prime grip like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry about that, should have figured it out. And thanks for your patient explanation.

prime grip likes this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I highly recommend Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S OEM tires that came with my 2021 Limited! They handle much much better than Toyo NanoEnergy A41 OEM tires that came with my 2020 XLE. The fuel economy is great, too.

I would have any tire installed at the dealer. I don't have good experience with tire shops when it comes to installation, balancing, and especially alignment.

I recommend West Coast Toyota in Long Beach. They are very good.

11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It depends on the shop. I've had very good results with Discount Tire/America's Tire (same outfit) for tire choices, price, mounting and balancing. They don't do alignments. I've had good results with Les Schwab Tires for alignment, but I don't like most of their tire choices as well and prices can be high. I've had mediocre results with Firestone alignment...I had to tell them how to do it. I've had good results with Walmart mounting and balancing. It depends on the shop. New tires do not signal a need for an alignment. Uneven wear on the tires is the sign that you need an alignment.

12. prime grip

prime grip Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks Merkey . I ordered my New Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus from Costco @ $ 518.04 OTD W/ $150.00 OFF.

Merkey likes this.
  13. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on your decision. I hope you like them. The Costco techs say the 422 Plus is better than the original 422.
    I had the originals and I liked them.