1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New tires & fuel efficiency

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Steve Lees, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Steve Lees

Steve Lees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I recently bought new tires, going from the well-worn stock Bridgestones to Yokohama Avids. I’ve noticed an immediate decrease in fuel efficiency - I was averaging low 60 mpg on my mostly highway drive commute with the Bridgestones, and I’ve dropped back to the mid-50s here the last week.

I jokingly told my wife all of that tread was increasing the rolling resistance. I wonder if there is some truth to that. I’m running 34lbs pressure in the new tires, same as the old. Any comments or thoughts? I ended my run of 33 straight tanks of 60 plus mpg and was bummed out.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah new tread is deeper, squirms more, accordingly has higher rolling resistance. And the rubber is newer, more pliable, same story. And: a well worn tire has a slightly smaller outside diameter, which means more revolutions per mile, which means when travelling the same distance the car thinks you've gone slightly further, which affects both in the in-dash mpg display and the odometer and trip meters, if you're calculating. And it's two different tires of course.

Merkey likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 wjtracy, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Merkey likes this.
  4. Steve Lees

Steve Lees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks guys. I sort of thought it might be the case but did not realize the effect would be so noticeable. The stock tires were done; I got about 75k miles out of them and they were on the wear bars. They were getting questionable in the rain and would have been unmanageable in the snow if I had kept them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    On most cars you'd have never noticed. But when you're getting 60 mpgs, a 10% change is still 6 mpgs. On a 25 mpg car, that's only 2.5, so you'd barely notice it, or chalk it up to cooler air.

Tyfly likes this.