1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i got 45,000 miles on my OEM integritys, trouble-free, notwithstanding the usual tendency to wander a bit on the freeways.
    replaced them with the highly recommended Falkens (Consumer Reports, etc.) 2 weeks ago, total cost, including lifetime this and that and balance new valves, etc. at discount tires for $253. great price.

hate the tires!

quite a rough ride, and i took an MPG hit of easily 4 MPG. same size tire as OEM.
    they wander more than the originals, and now for the first time, the car JUMPS lanes when hit by a wind blast, even reacts to 18 wheelers, like never before.

i ordered goodyear comforttreads, they gave me full credit on the falkens, and the add'l. cost is $183. i await installation, i hope, today.

i will post my reactions to the new, new tires ere long.

i should add that my lifetime mpg average is 50.3, at 45,701. the falkens were turning in around 46, if i kept speed at 60 mph, less if i increased. my normal driving speed is 63 to 65 mph. unless i'm in a hurry. i have gotten 105 mph, just to see if it would. please don't tell. :)

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I predict you'll love the Comfortreds!

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, strike two for Consumer Reports. They sure aren't batting a thousand in this neighborhood. I'm happy with the ComfortTreads, hope you will be too.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually went with the tripletreds (195/60/15). Excellent tire!!!!! Rated # 1 on Tirerack/1010tire/CR. It is better than the Comforttred.

5. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I've learned that CR is BS.

So far everything they recommended had a superior competitor.

For example i was looking for an air purifier... they recommended this electrostatic purifier...
    They may have checked it for 10 minutes.... cause the effectiveness of those plates decrees very fast ( a week or so) . and its a bitch to clean them.

Any one knows of another magazine that is honest?

CR must get some kick back from companies, how else can you explain their bias?

6. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    got the comfort treads on yesterday, so far, a joy, smooth, no wander, and re mileage, i do not know, because i've only gone 30 miles.
    and they're pretty!

7. sb_in_nc

sb_in_nc New Member

are they any quieter than originals?

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    welcome to the life of owning comforthreads. you'll love them and they last forever too :)

9. Xsparks

Xsparks New Member

I see they are $116+ on the Goodyear web site. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Walmart has the cheapest price on Comfortreds in my area. Something like $77/ea plus installation (which is also cheaper than other stores). I got my favorite store (Wheel Works) to price match Walmart and I'm a happy camper.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got mine at wheel works too. It's the best place. Unfortunetly i didn't try wal-mart first. I paid that high price. Mine wasn't quite as high though.

12. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well, the tires are quieter than originals, and very smooth riding.
    but, my main concern is mpg, and...it doesn't look good, less than one tank so far, and mileage is reduced, i think. not by very much, maybe 3 mpg. do not know, will continue to track and see.

13. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

What pressure are you using? I'm using 40 front, 38 rear and the ride doesn't seem to suffer, but the milage is improved over lower pressures.

14. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

CR has poor testing methods for example lets go with beer a few years back they rated the "beast" the best beer and any one who has ever had one knows its some pretty bad stuff but because they rated based on sales apperantly 8 million broke students know what tastes best. Or when it comes to consumer electronics they rate it on repair rates well what do you do when a $30 POS VCR breaks? You throw it out, what about a $400 model? You fix it, results POS brokesonic products get rated highly while a hitachi or JVC gets a low rating. Make sure you read how they are making their decisions prior to putting any trust in CR.

There are plenty of sites online where real people review products I trust the person who spent their money on it to give an honest review rather than CR.

15. Xsparks

Xsparks New Member

Well I got my ComforTreds today at Discount Tire and have all of 20 miles on them. In those twenty miles I have definitely noticed a smoother, quiter ride. I am amazed at how different 2 sets of tires can be. They set the pressure at 38/35 which I will check when the tires are cool. I reset the mpg reading and have 54 in very light city traffic. For me this is an improvement as I was averaging 47 highway and city. I'll have a good ride on I-4 on Friday for a real test.

Thanks all for your help,

Brian

16. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    re my new comforttreds:
    i instructed the store to set the front at 42 and the rear at 40. after a couple of days i was curious to see how well they set the pressures...the rears were exactly 40, the front tires were both EXACTLY 30! yup...i couldn't believe it, i have an excellent guage, for my m/cycles. the tires were looking a bit low

i refilled them, this time to 42, 40, to see what would happen. i'm taking a good 3 mpg loss of mileage and the car tracks in the raingrooved freeways worse than with the integritys.
    the ride is smoother, but i am unhappy nonetheless. 51 to 47.8 for the first 300 miles thus far.
    discount tires were the culprits for the air "crime".