1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Noobprius, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Noobprius

Noobprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys. I need new tires for my 2006 prius. My tire place has told me to try rather the Hankook GT H436 or Cooper CS3. I am in college, so money is scarce. How are these tires on fuel consumption? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The most efficient tires I ever bought for my 2005 Prius were Hankook Mileage Plus tires. Under the best driving conditions, I got up to 53 mpg with these tires. I have used Goodyear Fuel Max tires and got maybe 48 mpg at best. I will be looking for those Hankook tires again when I need new tires.

Noobprius likes this.
  3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The best for fuel economy are the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, however they're expensive tires for the Prius! - $110-$120 each at the moment). A really good balance of fuel economy (only a few percent worse than the Energy Saver A/S) and cost are the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, ~$75. If you need a good all season (for snow handling) and are willing to sacrifice some fuel economy, the Continental True Contacts are popular for the Prius, ~$80. Consider researching and buying tires online and having them shipped to your door, then taking them to your tire shop and having them installed. I prefer this because then I get exactly what I want.

Noobprius likes this.
  4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got Yokohama Avid Ascend tires on mine. They're a bit better on ice than other all season tires, although not quite as good on snow as some. They're a tiny bit less expensive than the Continental True Contacts.

Noobprius likes this.
  5. Noobprius

Noobprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the help guys! Right now, I have some general tire altimax rt on it. They get 40mpg on a good day (although my car has bad compression and misfires in two cylinders). They are very grippy though, even if they are down to the wear bars.