1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sharnold, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What average mpg does everyone else get I have two gen 2 prius the 2005 I'm driving as a daily commuting work car and a 08. The 05 is usually 46-49 now mpg but the 08 only gets 40-45

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be sure to tell that to the set of Ecopias I had to replace at least a year early. Plenty of meat on both inside and outside edges, but down to the minimum in the centers. I was running 38 PSI Front/ 36 PSI Rear. I now run 36/35 now, and wear is much more even across the tread.
    I'm averaging 4.7 L/100 km (50.1 MPG (US)), but get tanks varying between 4.0 L/100 km (best) to 5.4 L/100 km (worst) (58.8 - 43.5 MPG (US)) and can't really figure out any particular reason except the worst seems to happen a lot more when SWMBO is driving. :whistle:

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Count your blessings: Our current tank the gauge was sitting around 5.9 (terrifically short trips, grocery runs). Missus went out for the day, got it back down to 5.5. So I don't even wear the mpg "pants"...

Both numbers pretty pathetic, struggling with new tires on 17" rims. Oh, and the block heater had given up the ghost, about a month back.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that tire pressure is way too low for minimizing tire wear.... Unless of course you drive on really rough roads regularly... Up above 45psi for their entire lifespan my last set of ecopia's wore perfectly evenly, despite not being rotated often enough and I got an additional 10K miles above the amount of miles the tires were warrantied for. That's my experience at least. But most of my miles are highway miles...

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    45 psi? geeeeezzzzz. It feels as if my suspension is made of bricks when I'm at 42 and 40. My eyeballs would probably pop out if I went higher. (but I may try it anyway...)

Sharnold and PriusCamper like this.
  6. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    45 psi does great on the highway its these pesky country roads that recently caused me too run 40psi on all four. It was like riding in an old hay wagon.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't make sense. What I describe is indicative of over-inflation. I don't know what the rules are in the US, but here tires are measured at the lowest point across the width and something like 75% of the circumference. If the tires measure 1.5 mm or less, they fail. We have inspections here also, so you can't get away from having worn tires. Air pressure affects the way tires wear, but both under and over inflation will mean we have to throw out a tire that has adequate tread on only either the centers or the edges due to over-inflation or under-inflation.

I don't know how what you describe works for you, but going higher in pressure for me just makes it worse, as in the centers wear down even faster.

Maybe the air pressure works differently in the southern hemisphere, although given the number of kilometers of chip sealed state highway roads, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the composition of tires here are different in some way to those in the USA.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe it's driving style? :) Whatever it is, I know what works for me!

Sharnold likes this.