1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to boards and am looking to buy a Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by traydragen, May 18, 2007.

1. traydragen

traydragen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys I have been lurking around this site for around a year because I have had my mind set on a Prius for a while now. A couple of questions:

1) Is there a major significance in the difference of suspensions when regarding the Touring edition with the regular Prius and is it worth the extra 2-3 thousand.
    2) Also, I want to get a Prius with nice soundsystem. Is the JBL 9-speaker system a good system? Meaning I don't want something to blast my ears off continuously I just want something that could if I wanted it to, and still sound nice at the same time.
    3) I am torn over rather or not to buy a new Prius or not. I have always been told to never buy a new car but I look at the resale on Toyota's (especially the Prius) and a car that is 3 years old and has 40 or so thousand miles on it only takes off 5 thousand off the price; is it really worth saving the extra 5 thousand or does that just depend on my financial situation.

Thanks for the help guys and if you have any other suggestions for me I will gladly accept them.

2. nickshelley

nickshelley New Member

Buy the best warranty you can because they are helllllllla expensive to fix.

3. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tray- I suggest calling dealers and asking if they have a Prius in their rental fleet. I rented one for a day before buying. It was a real eye opener to drive the car and explore it for an entire day without the pressure of a salesperson looking over your shoulder.
    When I decided to buy, the dealer wrote me a check back for the $36.00 daily rental. If I hadn't liked the car enough to buy it, it would haver been worth the $36.00 to find out.
    By the way- I love the car!

4. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(traydragen @ May 18 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]445309[/snapback]</div>
    The Touring suspension is supposed to be stiffer, which means the car will lean a little less if you drive more aggressively. Unfortunately it also means that you'll feel the bumps a little more.

I think that Toyota discovered that most American Prius owners don't drive their Prius like a race car (which is less efficient) so they're discontinuing the Touring edition. I'd actually prefer the non-Touring even if the Touring was same price.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(traydragen @ May 18 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]445309[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's pretty nice. I've yet to hear any distortion at higher volumes and I find the steering wheel controls and iPod jack pretty convenient. A big improvement over my old car's stereo.

It's not absolute top-of-the-line but I know it suits my needs.

The Prius is a very reliable car, so I don't think it's unwise to buy one used. I personally bought one new (because I could) and haven't regretted it. I think the main differences are that the backup camera comes standard, you get side-curtain airbags, an iPod/aux jack, improved resolution on the MFD, faster acceleration and more updated GPS information (though you can upgrade the older systems).

All of that stuff is pretty cool, but is it 5 grand cool? Your call.

You can't go wrong either way.

PS - The factory warranty is pretty good to begin with, but if you buy an extended warranty, Google for a Toyota dealer willing to sell one for $1000 instead of $2400 (there are several that will).

5. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With the newer discounted packages, and getting later in 2007, prices have gone down in some parts of the country. Shop it well.

It seems folks paid a premium (there was little negotiating) on these cars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 18 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]445429[/snapback]</div>

I also got package 3 with the 9 speaker JBL. I think it sounds fine. I listen to singer songwriters, Lucinda Williams, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Guy Clark, Rodney Crowell, lots of Austin classic music, Van Morrison, classic rock and roll, etc. Very little rap, although I like R & B and Jazz. I grew up on the Austin, Lafayette, New Orleans music scene in the 70's and later.

I don't like the overkill of thumping bass. I listen to Sonus Faber speakers at home, so I am somewhat particular.

I also love the bluetooth aspect.

6. chezypuffs

chezypuffs New Member

I am actually looking to sell my Prius. It's a 2006, Blue, 32,000 miles. Navigation, Blue Tooth, JBL stereo, bra, and all season Prius mats. I am selling it for $20,000. Recently got it's 30,000 mile service. Up to date on all service. Excellent condition, clean, garage kept. Let me know if you have any interest.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(traydragen @ May 18 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]445309[/snapback]</div>
    Very personal issue. A new car depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot, but with a used car you never know how it's been treated. I will never buy a used car again. But financially, the most economical transportation is a used car, not a new one.

Which is more important for you: reliability or economy?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicks @ May 18 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]445400[/snapback]</div>
    All cars nowadays are expensive to fix. The extended warranty gives you some peace of mind (assuming you will keep the car for that many years) but Toyotas are so reliable that the warranty is a losing bet on average. It's really not a warranty at all: It's an insurance policy. And the insurance company comes out ahead in the long run.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi!! and welcome to PC... Glad you decided to post and not just lurk :D

Looks like you have received some excellent suggestions and answers here. Actually Withersea probably gave you an wonderful idea, as the best recommendation of all would be yours... rent a Prius for a few days and see how you like it.

BTW Withersea, good to see you my friend!! I'm still gonna have to get over the mountain to see you sometime... B)