1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to forum

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 2002_Pri_Rod, Dec 9, 2017.

1. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All

Been reading the forum for a while but just signed up. I just bought our second first generation Prius after my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid died. My wife had been driving a 2001 Prius for 4 years - 60,000 miles - trouble free so decided to buy a 2002 Prius for myself as I now have a 180 mile round trip commute two days a week - now dealing with some issues with the 2002 as I get it set up for me. More later

bisco and RCO like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! all the best.(y)

3. Castanea

Castanea Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also new to the forum, and not quite a Prius owner yet: I'll be completing the purchase of a 2013 Prius C on Thursday. It is a low-milage car that has belonged to an older lady whom I've known for about seventeen years. She is turning 90 and decided it is time to quit driving, so she offered the car to me at a good price. It is going to replace my beloved 1996 Civic (purchased new and driven with much enjoyment all these years), which is getting too expensive to repair - one thing after another is corroding out and it is time to call it quits. Latest is the oil pan, rusting through and leaving a slow drip wherever I park.

I think it will fit my needs well - mostly commuting (and no interstates; the maximum speed limit on my half-hour commute is 40 mph with thirteen stop lights), plus an "errand-and-grocery" day once a week. The best I can tell from my test-drive, it is going to be fun in a different way from the old Civic. I've always been into fuel economy (the Civic was very good for its time; my overall milage last year was just under 36 mpg), and the geekiness of the Prius hybrid stuff will be enjoyable. I like the coziness of the Prius C and find it a very comfortable car to drive. And all these newfangled gadgets! A CD player! Electric door locks and windows! (I will miss having passengers try to figure out how to open the window with the hand crank.) More seriously, way more safety features than any of the 1990's cars - that was another reason that it is time to replace the Civic.

But I have a lot to learn, basically everything. That is what brought me to PriusChat. I probably won't post much (unless I have a question), but I plan to read a lot in the Prius C forum.

RCO, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. kandamby

kandamby New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the community!

bisco likes this.
  5. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All
    Thought I would throw out some more information. Sorry for the long post.

As I mentioned I bought a second gen 1 prius last October - I have already put a little over 8000 miles on it - mostly commuting on North Bay highways here in California. I purchased this car to replace a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid that the hydralic control unit (HCU) had gone out and I decided to go another direction.

I bought a Gen 1 because we purchased a 2001 Prius for my wife in 2012 and have had basically 60,000 trouble free miles - only replaced the 12V battery with the Toyota suggested battery upgrade soon after purchasing the car ($300 battery + kit) and I installed new front rotors and pads about a year ago. She gets about 42 to 46 mpg (I record mileage for every tank) so this has been an excellent car for us - and surprisingly it is fun to drive - and we only have about $7000 invested in it.

So when came I looked at Gen 2s - drove a bunch of 2006 to 2009 models and a couple of Prius C models - I liked the C a lot but too pricey for me right now - I did not like the Gen 2 model much after using my wifes so when I saw an ad for a nice looking 2002 came up I decided to take a look.

I liked the car - owner had receipts for a lot of new or replaced parts - new inverter, replaced transaxel, reconditioned battery etc. Price seemed reasonable and the owner had driven it so that the trip meter was reading 62 mpg over 54 miles.

So paid $2300 initially
    within 2000 miles mpg started dropping significantly from high 40s to about 40 mpg and then check engine light came on - 0420 - new catalytic converter and a little over 1400 dollars later (I live in California so no aftermarket cats are legal) got that light off - car is running better and mileage was slightly improved to around 42 - now have about $3700 invested

Car was running well but started noticing abnormal tire wear - bought new aftermarket wheels and tires and a lifetime alighnment so I can get it alighned as needed - total about 1200 dollars. Did not go low with resistance tires as I drive pretty aggressively on windy mountain roads a lot. Performance increased significantely but mpg went down - again to around 40.

Now have about $4900 invested. But car looks and drives better - still needs shocks.

Then about 1000 miles ago I get the triangle of death. I figure I am outside my experience level and take the car to a hybrid mechanic here in the north bay. Look at all the options and since I plan to keep the car at least 5 years and I am pretty much all in I opt for a new battery from Toyota - little less than 2800 dollars installed

Now have bascically 7800 dollars invested - much more than planned - more later

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, you're a trooper!(y)

7. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last post on this topic - not sure why I am recounting this information in the forum - although I am over my $6000 initial budget I am not bitter about buying the car as I feel/hope I will have a good commuter car fot at least the next 5 years - I enjoy driving this car - any suggesstions on what I should buy or any upgrades you would recommend?

I am hoping to use these two cars to teach myself how to work on the first gen prius as it seems that a lot of mechanics don't really want ti work on the 2001 to 2003s.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! you should ask the mods to move this thread there, there are a few very knowledgable gen 1 members left.

RCO likes this.
  9. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bisco - Who are the mods? And are you recommending moving this to the Gen 1 threads? That would make sense to me.

Thanks again

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you ever need help, you’ve got some helpful members in the area;):

Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont

I find my way up to Santa Rosa every so often (the wife has family there). I have Techstream too if you need it:).

We’d also love to see a classic at the meet ups(y).

RCO and SFO like this.
  11. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good - I live just west of Santa Rosa along the Russuan River - I would love to attend the meet ups and learn more about techstream

I have heard of techstream through this forum but have not used it

RCO, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry - that is the Russian River

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With a 16 year old Prius you’re trying to keep on the road, Techstream is a great investment ;).

Here’s a shot from last weekend when I was perusing the health of our 2010’s pack at 172 k miles:

640757C8-4A6C-4E49-910F-FC86A2AE6A66.jpeg D6040D18-87E2-46DF-937C-031D16A48BA9.jpeg

Looking good and balanced :).

We could do similar things and look at all the different menus and options;).

Oh the possibilities(y).

RCO and SFO like this.
  14. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a great offer - I would appreciate meeting with you when convenient - right now anything I can learn will be great as I try and keep these two Gen 1s running efficiently

What do you think about Scan Gauge?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Reply to the meetup thread and we’ll see what we can do;).

Scan gauge is a good tool, but I have not used it:(.

Good luck with your classic Prius (y).

SFO likes this.