1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to forum

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by bugsy57, Feb 23, 2019.

1. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I’m going to make this as short as possible, I drive a Toyota Camry 2017 and I’m looking at trading it for a 2016 Prius four touring, my question is should I or not I know the maintenance on the camrys are very good but I only get 27-30 mpg and I drive around 90-120 miles a day so would it be worth it to go to a hybrid. I know the gas savings would be better but I’m not sure on the batteries and all the technology with the hybrids. But from what I have read and found on this fourm there are all kinds of problems with the hybrids from little rattles to stuff just breaking down r whearimg out so in the long run will the Prius last 300 or 400k like my Camry should or would the maintanence be more with the Prius.

#1 bugsy57, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome!
    There is no way to know how one individual car will hold up.
    Overall, I suspect Prius is similar to Camry reliability, but if something does break out of warranty, there are several items that are much more expensive ona Prius to repair.

Also, anyone can repair a camry, but hybrid techs are few and expensive.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The only thing that worries almost everybody who owns a Prius is the traction battery. Typically it lasts the 150k miles that it is warrantied for. Some have found that the battery lasts much longer, some have experienced it dying just after that mark. YMMV.

4. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you

Thank you

#4 bugsy57, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  5. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well from my experience my last Prius was beyond amazing. Having several other high mile Prius in the family with similar results- I see no reason you would be disappointed. One other option is getting a 2018 Camry Hybrid. The new version is rated at over 50 mpg too. My sister has one and is getting the rated economy and very close to Prius territory. Either way Toyota Hybrids are amazing and super reliable. If you look at Consumer Reports Reliability records the Toyotas and especially their hybrids have exemplary records.

6. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Cool thank you

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really, I suspect that 99% of PRIUS on PriusChat are absolutely loving their cars, and they've been ultra reliable. Any car will have the odd little problem. There are PRIUS out there which have lasted a million kilometers, almost all batteries last well beyond the warranty.

Gen 4, in 2016 was brand new, a totally new platform for TOYOTA (which now is in quite a few cars) - they always suggest don't buy the first of any model, but they've been great.

But, the reality is - people who are ecstatic with their cars - will often say nothing - but those who have a problem will talk about it. It's human nature - we want to fix problems.

Mine had a brake-light switch fail - I think I'm the only one on PriusChat. And 2 recalls which 1) affected the park-brake on early cars and 2) the wiring harness on early cars.

There are some things to check - I don't think the seats are the most comfortable I've had - check they suit you. The foot-parkbrake is a dumb idea. If you lived in a hilly area, the hill-holder only works facing up a hill forwards - so if you're parked facing downhill and someone parks close in front and you have to reverse back, it's not the easiest.

Oh - and fuel economy is great.

#7 alanclarkeau, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Elektroingenieur and krmcg like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius and Camry Hybrids are used as taxis so mileage/distance doesn’t seem to be an issue. All the Gen 2 Prius cabs are gone now (there might be a few left but they’ve mostly all been replaced with Prius v’s). That doesn’t mean they were unreliable as many have done 600,000-900,000km during their life. (5-7 years). I’ve seen a few Gen 3s and 2 PiPs.

Anyway, the statistics show that it’s generally reliable. Some of those cabs have had their Hv battery replaced but that was at anywhere between 500,000 and 750,000km. That’s a drop in the bucket compared to all the tires and brake pads that they save. As well as maintenance and gas compared to the previous taxi standard, the Crown Vic.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And bear in mind - the petrol motor only runs about 75-80% of the time, and is un-stressed. There is no gearbox - but a clever, but simple epicyclic transaxle - which will be far more reliable than the new CVTs and Twin Clutch - or 8 speed Autos which are inordinately complex. Brakes are likely to last the life of the car.

Should it ever need a battery - they're cheap relatively - cheaper than fixing an auto gearbox or several full brake jobs - and the saving on fuel will have been far more than the cost of the battery.

10. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Very good thanks for the information

11. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you trade out? From a 2017 to a 2016? Your profile shows you’re driving a 2016 prius 4 touring. I have the same model and I love it.

12. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No I’m looking at trading my 2017 Camry for a 2016 Prius 4 touring, how many miles can you go on a full tank of gas

13. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I personally have gone over 600 miles on a tank, with a bit more than 2 gallons left in the tank. That was some hypermiling and in warmer seasons. If I really tried, I bet I can do almost 800 miles on the 11.4 gallon tank.

It all really depends on how you drive.

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got 1116 km on a full tank of petrol. It took 41 litres - 3.68l/100km. But that was the best tank I've ever had - see my average below on Fuelly. I wouldn't normally let it go that empty either. Depends on how you drive too.

15. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have three 800+ mile tanks. But it wasn't easy and requires driving past DTE of 0. I would say that most people can get 600+ miles on single tanks with moderate hypermiling techniques and little or no risk.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. bugsy57

bugsy57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Very good information thank you all 90% of my driving is highway driving 65-75 mph so I was hoping to get at least 600 miles per tank.