1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to gen4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by rosencrantz, Oct 13, 2018.

1. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello all, well my 2013 Prius met with an untimely end.... 82k miles. I REALLY liked that car. I just bought the replacement— a 2018 Prius two in blizzard pearl. Paid $22,800 + TTL. I initially thought this was a great price...now I think it’s a good price? All in all, I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the new ride- especially with the included technology. I haven’t felt the need to buy used vehicles for some time, BUT was tempted to in this case because I liked my 2013 so much. The new car does seem quieter and a bit more “planted” while driving it. Is this the general consensus of folks going from gen3 to gen4?

Tande and krmcg like this.
  2. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations! For what it's worth, that price is pretty close to what I paid for mine and I'm pretty satisfied with the way the car is performing so far. I had the chance to drive a Gen 3 Prius a few years ago and it seems the Gen4 has more responsiveness and pep to it. Also, I really like the mid 60 MPG's I've averaged so far!

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations. Yes, I believe you will be happier with the '18 except for storage areas.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - spot on "Is this the general consensus of folks going from gen3 to gen4?". Couple of things different - storage is different as mentioned above, but the driving is so much more secure, tech works much better. Safer in IIHS crash tests too.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. The redesigned rear suspension and lower centre of gravity (the battery is now under the rear seat rather than under the cargo floor) gives it's a more compliant ride and better handling. It is also quieter. (Higher models like the Four are quieter still with the inclusion of acoustic front door glass)

Congrats!

Smaug1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be honest, given the technology, I’m surprised the car doesn’t MSRP for more. I did see on the sticker that there was a credit for a “safety plus” package. Question- and I know it’s probably early yet..... has there been any speculation as to whether the gen4 has suffered (or will suffer) with any EGR issues (gen3 @ 100k miles)?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MSRP - has changed continually - every year, you get more for your $$$$.

My 1996 Mazda 323 (Familia) Manual - cost $22772
    A 2018 Mazda 3 Manual - $20,490

The 2018 has AEB incl Pedestrians, 6 airbags, Brake Assist, Hill Holder, Reversing camera etc etc. Oh, and electric windows, Keyless start, central locking.

8. pikesfish

pikesfish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Third Generation 2010 took her final breath on Monday evening coming home from the theater. Had her towed into the Dealership that night and struggled with do I repair whatever it is or bite the bullet. Well she gave me 246,975 wonderful miles and was still averaging 54.5 miles to the gallon so I pulled the trigger...the new 4th Generation will arrive this afternoon and I stepped up from the Prius 3 to the Prius 3 Touring model. Pricing was not bad $26K. Looking forward to a lot of fun adventures with the new car and seeing how far this one will go....

Smaug1, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious— did you have any “unusual “ maintenance on your 2010 to get that nearly 1/4 million miles? Bearings? Multiple EGR system cleanings? Congrats on the new one!

10. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations! More miles, more miles, more miles.

11. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations Rosencrantz. I came from a 2012 Accord EX (manual) The Accord had better seats, more power, better handling, better visors and was more fun to drive on a twisty road.

However, the Prius (mine is a Two) has better tech, and quieter cabin and is twice as fuel efficient. The only sad thing is that I don't ride my motorcycle locally any more, since the Prius does almost as well, fuel-wise. Oh, and I sure missed having a hatchback. The Accord was my first and last sedan. Truth be told, I probably would have bought another Honda if they still made a hybrid hatchback.