1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to here. Has anyone bought hybrid battery oversea?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Cooper Jr., Jul 20, 2022.

1. Chris Cooper Jr.

Chris Cooper Jr. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, newbie here.

Last year I bought a used 2012 Gen 3 Prius at a good price. It was 150k miles on it and over the warranty for sure. Dealer only said it may require replacing the hybrid battery. Pump, inverter, and brake accumulator have been already replaced. The driving experience is not bad actually but showed the "P0A80" code for 3 or 4 times. :)Also my car used more oil than I expect.

My dealer quoted me two solutions, a used hybrid battery and a brand new OEM battery. I prefer the new one, but it will cost me another $2.5k. Then I googled hybrid battery suppliers and found a company named TOHOP battery. The website shows they are a manufacturer from China, and offered me 2 years or 100k miles warranty and duty-free delivery to my door. The price is acceptable as well, and the battery appearance is just the same as the one from my dealer.:sneaky:

Just have a little doubt now. Does anyone in the forum know about this company? Trustworthy? Anything I need to be aware of for international trade? Would be amazing if someone helped:giggle:.

Thank you!

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    International trade can be tricky. If a warranty claim comes up, how do you ask for the warranty? The item is super heavy to ship. What is the price you get from China?

You can get an original Toyota battery for around $1700 online. Or you can get an already imported Chinese battery at newpriusbatteries.com for $1600 shipped to your door.

BTW what dealership sells a used battery as an option? First I've heard of this

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the Chinese knock off pack that is built of lower quality material... If you want to upgrade to better than OEM by every measure there's only a day or two left of Project Lithium packs and if you order today, you'll have it on Monday. Then they'll be out of stock till November. I can offer unlimited tech support if you buy with my affiliate link too: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with 'newhybridbatteries.com

and clean the egr circuit before the head gasket blows!

all the best!

5. LanIam

LanIam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my 2012 Gen 3 new and have 242K. It uses about 1qt. of oil every 5K miles and always has. The only thing I've ever done to it is oil changes every 10k and replaced hybrid system and radiator coolant at about 100k. I'm replacing the struts/shocks and adding a 1.5 in. lift kit on it this weekend.

bisco likes this.
  6. Chris Cooper Jr.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! Your comment is very helpful. I have directly asked your questions to the China factory.:)

I can get a free new one within warranty if quality issue is raised. they also said that's brand new, rarely quality issue found before.The battery has 3000 times cycle life and can generally work 200,000 km. I think it makes sense.

They quoted me $1550, covering all expenses. I checked the newpriusbattery the price is high and only offers 2 years or 25k warranty. BTW where I can find a $1700 original Toyota battery? Thanks!

Dealership sells rebuilt/refurbished batteries as an option. That should be a used battery I reckon.

7. Chris Cooper Jr.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you very much Bisco.

I'll absolutely look into it!;)

bisco likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've checked the original Toyota battery for a Gen 2 battery (which uses the same modules as your gen 3), that battery is out of stock and won't be available. I guess the supply chain issues are affecting battery parts as well. The batteries are normally sold online, so for my local dealership Longo Toyota, it would be sold at their online site parts.longotoyota.com.

Seems like an aftermarket China made battery will be the option or a Lithium battery. Prices are all going up because of the supply shortage.