1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Hybrids (2016 Rav4 AWD)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by drbtz, Feb 11, 2021.

1. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all!

I bought my first ever hybrid in October 2020 after my beloved 2015 Honda Civic SE was totaled by someone who ran a red light. Never thought I'd love another car again but then the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid came into my life and I fell in love with it.

I enjoy everything about the suv and I'm learning new things about the HSD system all the time. I'm a fast food delivery driver working full-time in the Wisconsin-USA in a mid sized town.

If you all can give me any tips on improving my MPG and some things I might not have known like general maintenance items that are not common on non-hybrids. I've always DIY'd work on my cars but being it's my first hybrid I don't always know what needs to be looked after. For example, didn't know the traction battery had its own filter that needs to be cleaned!

The only other forum I've checked out is Rav4World, decent site but MUCH more HSD information and hypermiling information here.

If you're curious about what I'm doing currently for best MPG or my set up here is some info.

~
    Tires: Goodyear All Assurance all-season 18"
    Oil: 0-20 (What they recommend, not sure why you'd do anything else)
    Grill is blocked fully since it's winter here in WI (right now averaging 2 degree F)
    Driving style is typical, try to stay in the upper portion of 2 Eco bar when accelerating, back off pedal, use as little as possible throttle to glide, use as much traction battery as possible.

Think I might actually use TOO MUCH battery as I've seen some people say their battery hovers at 3 bars and that's "too low", I am a 3-4 bar person (whoops).

I use a Carista OBD-II and Hybrid assistant app to monitor coolant temp and even fully blocked the poor Rav still has trouble staying between 70-80C sometimes.
    ~

2. JohnnyPR

JohnnyPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Japanese cars are highly respectable. Ever had a Prius?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does your reply have to do with the OP?