1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me 2008 Prius, first hybrid. Few ?'s.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Fightnfire, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone, first post.

I'm trying to figure out a few things about my new Prius. This is my first Prius. After looking for a few weeks I narrowed it down to two Gen 2's with low mileage. I just picked this one up Friday. 67k miles. It came from a Hyundai dealership and they didn't seem to know much about it.

[​IMG]

This is what I know it has:
    JBL - Looks like more than 6 speakers and I have 4 in the front and 4 in the back .. is there a 9th somewhere, is that weird to have 8 that I can see?
    6 Disc CD changer w/ MP3 - Does the MP3 just mean I can play a burned disc with MP3's on it?
    Backup Camera
    Bluetooth - Bummed to see I can't stream music, it does handle calls nicely. What's the best, easiest, solution for streaming music?

No Nav, no leather and no fancy headlights or fogs. The salesman swore I could buy a Nav disc from Toyota and get nav. I don't think that's right because I don't have the nav MFD. Am I right?

I'm trying to figure out what trim package I have ... thinking 3?

I spent all weekend reading the manual, polishing and waxing .. rinse and repeat... insert sore shoulder.. and have the Bluetooth, phone book and many other things figured out. Just looking for some tips, tricks etc.

fileaudio and Burna J like this.
  2. Eggsalad

Eggsalad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you Google "2008 Prius brochure", you'll find doc that can help with comparing option packages (not letting me post link). Think you have #3. It says there are 9 speakers in 7 locations.

I'm pretty sure that's what the MP3 means, as you said.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you stand in front of the car and look at the dashboard through the windshield you will see the 9th speaker located above the multifunction display.

If you had the navigation unit, it would be located under the driver's seat. The JBL audio amplifier is located under the front passenger seat.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Too bad you don't have that salesman statement in writing about Navigation disc. Did you even believe him?

Package 3 if you have the back-up camera and a rear view mirror that auto dims with the "Homelink" feature. Do you see the garage door button at the bottom of the rear view mirror? If yes, then Package 3 most likely. It may be possible that yours could be a non-conforming Package due to massive corporate leasing companies cherry picking specific options to add onto a stripped down base model.

Inside the center console, there should be a 3.5mm mini headphone jack (aka Auxilary audio jack). You'll need a male 3.5mm stereo cable; one end goes to center console, other end goes to the phone/iPod/MP3 player. This will be the cheapest/easiest way to stream music.

If you have money, and want modern conveniences, upgrade the head unit (AKA stereo) w/ a double DIN Navigation head unit. You'll have built in GPS and Bluetooth stream capability.

You should be reading Gen2 Prius Audio and Electronics. It will give you ideas on modifications to add a lot of electronic creature comforts. Also, Gen2 Prius Accessories & Modifications is another good sub-forum to check out.

Get the transaxle (think transmission) fluid changed ASAP, unless the previous owner(s) changed it. You can look up the service records for this car on Toyota's website, if they took it to the dealer for service and the necessary recall work. LINK A simple drain & fill, just like you would on a truck's rear differential. NO flushing like true automatic transmissions.

Tinted windows will be a nice touch to add.

Attached Files:

#4 exstudent, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  5. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did not necessarily believe him but it was the option I was least worried about. My phone provides superior Nav, I was just wondering. I do have Homelink, so package 3 it is.

Thank you for the info everyone, I've been buried in the "Gen2 Prius Audio and Electronics" good stuff in there.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yours is Package 3, unless you notice items that don't belong.

For example, my car was a company car, from a large corporate leasing company. These companies order thousands of cars and can custom pick specific option(s), not being bound to the consumer retail Package 1-6. Mine doesn't fit Package 1 or 2, and definitely not Packages 3-6.
    Package #1
    YES
    -Cruise control
    NO-Heated outside mirrors
    YES-15-in. alloy wheels with trim rings
    YES-Tonneau cover
    YES-Seatback pockets
    Package #2
    PARTIAL
    -AM/FM CD with six speakers(YES), auxiliary audio jack and MP3/WMA playback capability(NO).
    NO-Smart Key System [1]
    NO-Backup camera [7]
    YES-Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [11]​

#6 exstudent, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new baby! my daughter has my old '08 package 2. great year, all the best!(y)

fileaudio likes this.