1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me 2008 Prius, What should I look out for, and what maintenance should I do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MPGHokage, Dec 25, 2017.

1. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Guys!

I recently bought a 2008 Prius with 132,000 Miles, and I'm wondering what maintenance should I get done to ensure its up to date? And should I watch for with the hybrid battery? I do believe it's the original battery, and I was just looking at a battery re conditioner on hybridautomotive.com, would It be worth buying the 600$ package to maintain and possibly extend the life of the battery?

Also, do you guys know any good places I can order a battery with a warranty that's relatively inexpensive if my battery were to go out?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    check your owners manual for maintenance schedules. you can sign up at the toyota owners site and put your vin in to see previous dealer service. then you can complete any unfinished maintenance.
    you should check both air and cabin filters, and the intake grille for the hybrid battery cooling fan for cleanliness.
    you may want to change the tranny oil, although toyota doesn't require it.
    i wouldn't worry about the battery, but others may have different opinions.
    all the best!(y)

3. SpectraBob

SpectraBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check the starter battery (tiny battery next to the spare). Google how to test with the dashboard monitor. You do not get much (if any) warnings of a bad battery like you would with a non-hybrid.

SM-G930V ?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot depends on your ability to check it's service history, verify what has and hasn't been done. If not sure, proceed conservatively: better to overdo than neglect, say with coolant and spark plugs.

Also, have you got the maintenance booklet? If not, you can download from the Toyota TechInfo site, in the "manuals" tab.

In addition to what's in the booklet, I'd recommend:

Transaxle fluid change
    Brake Fluid change

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Change engine coolant and Inverter coolant and trans fluid and sparkplugs and air cleaner filter and water pump belt and clean throttle body and under dash ac e-coil.

Yes buy the Hybrid Auto Charger/Discharger asap. If your car is not throwing codes yet it will very soon then its to late. There charger wll bring it back to life.

Raytheeagle likes this.