1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New (to me) 2013 model 4, few questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OC63RAG, Jul 11, 2021.

1. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, we recently bought a 2013 with 150K miles and everything seems fine with the car except for the a/c. I'm not sure if it's typical for Prius' or if there is something in need of attention. I've owned multiple Toyotas and Lexus cars and I've loved them all. The engineering is amazing and I'm impressed with them every time I drive them.
    We bought the Prius in SoCal where we live and my son took it to AZ (Phoenix area) the following week. Before he left, I changed the oil, air filter and cabin filter and everything else seemed fine. The a/c seemed ok when we drove it around SoCal but not ice cold by any means. The weather on the way to, and in, AZ has been 100+ every day and as high as 117. My son said there are times when he's literally sweating in the car with the a/c on because it just does not blow cold air.
    My son had been driving the car in Eco mode with the a/c set to "Lo" and the recirculate option on with the fan set to full speed. After seeing some forum threads on here, I suggested he try setting it to 78 and take off Eco mode and reduce the fan to medium speed. This seemed to help a bit but it's still not blowing "cold" air.
    I've done a lot of searches on here and I can't find a definitive guide on troubleshooting the a/c system. What would you all suggest? Are there things we can check ourselves or would it be best to bring it in to someone who understands the Prius better than us?
    I'm not a fan of dealers based on past experiences. If anyone has an honest, reliable service person in the Phoenix AZ area (Mesa, specifically) I'd really appreciate a recommendation.
    This is our first Prius and first hybrid so we're trying to figure out the quirks and differences from regular cars.
    Thanks for any help. This site has been super helpful and a great reference.

2. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick note: I've recharged the a/c system in other cars myself with the basic auto parts recharge options. It sounds like the Prius is different and more sensitive to how this is done so I'm hesitant to try this option.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do not expect cold air when you set the temperature to 78. Set it as low as you can and take it off eco mode. You are dealing with 115 degree heat in Phoenix, you need the coldest temperature settings and near high fan settings for that car to remain cool

themzlab and OC63RAG like this.
  4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, nobody with a Prius will be bragging about freezing cold A/C but we don't have the typical A/C system. At 117, I don't think ANY car will be able to stay very cool!
    I work on cars and the Prius A/C is something I'm not willing to touch...you could have a Toyota dealer take a look at it, might be worth the expense to get it fixed right the first time. (Toyota technicians take pride in "fixing it right the first time")

Valiant V, OC63RAG and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    fix the bad flywheel before worry about the ac.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    mine is freezing cold on power mode :rolleyes:

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple of years back out AC was getting so-so. Gave the dealership service department $150~ and now it’s nice and cold.

Valiant V and OC63RAG like this.
  9. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did it just need a recharge?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, apparently. The service was described something like “evacuate, test and recharge”.

OC63RAG likes this.
  11. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Get a thermostat and stick it in the vents to get an accurate reading of how cold the ac is blowing. Take a pic.

Valiant V likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think there’s some specs on how cold it should be blowing, in the attachments.

Valiant V likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can’t turn on the ac unit by placing a thermostat on the vent. The thermostat has to be electronically wired to the ac system and used to turn the ac on, if that is possible.

14. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My bad, I meant a thermometer. LOL. I was adjusting the ac in my house at the time.

Valiant V likes this.
  15. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I knew what you meant the first time... :p