1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New (to me) Prius Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hoosierprius81, Jan 6, 2020.

1. hoosierprius81

hoosierprius81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

I recently bought a 2008 Prius with 167,xxx miles. I am unaware of the maintenance history.

This is where my question comes in.
    I plan on doing:
    Oil and filter change
    Automatic transmission fluid change
    Drive belt replacement
    Air filters replacement
    Spark plug replacements

Should I try to completely change the engine and inverter coolant or not?
    From reading on here, it seems that bleeding a Gen 2 cooling system is a real pain.
    Is it something that needs to be done and is it worth it?
    Also, what about the brake fluid?

Are there any other items that I should be doing?
    Hoping to make this Prius last as long as it can.

Thank you!

PS, if I posted this in the wrong thread, sorry as I am new to the forum.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

anything unknown should be done for long term reliability.

check the maintenance schedule for items needed.

all the best!(y)

hoosierprius81 and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats and welcome.

The first thing to do would be to check the owners page at Toyota to see if maybe the previous owner had the car maintained by a Toyota dealer. If so, the records will be there for you to read. You'll just need to join and then enter your VIN. It's at Welcome to Toyota Owners

If there's no maintenance history there, I'd play it safe and replace the fluids. When changing the water pump belt, some people go ahead and change the water pump while they are at it. I would at least take a good look at it to make sure it isn't dripping. The seals are known to fail sometimes. Also, check the bearing on the belt tensioner while you have it apart.

The inverter coolant is a piece of cake. Much easier to bleed than the engine. The engine coolant is annoying in the tediousness of bleeding out all the air. Both should have been changed by now and the brake fluid, too. Give the brakes a good checking over since you're in a salty place. The front caliper slide pins can rust for one thing.

And have fun!! (y)

4. hoosierprius81

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I logged in and put in my VIN
    The only service entry from a Toyota dealer says
    "90L PEDAL MOD FOR TUNDRA AND PRIUS,C0T INSP BOLT HOLE, REPL EXT SHFT, 3 BOLTS, ADJ STEERING,REPLACE THE HV ELECTRIC WATER PUMP - PRIUS"
    So it looks like the water pump was replaced at 109k miles. Is that would you would take from the "REPLACE THE HV ELECTRIC WATER PUMP"?

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the inverter pump. They are also known to fail. Nice that you have a nearly new one But I was referring to the engine coolant pump. I've never had either pump fail and never replaced either pump although my '05 had a very, very small engine coolant pump weep when I traded it in.

When you change the coolant, make sure to use the Toyota SLLC in both systems.

hoosierprius81 likes this.
  6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My engine water pump started leaking at 50k. The GII water pump is a bit infamous for early failure.

Re: replacing coolant. I thought it was super long life....so....it should be good to 150k at least, right? Serious question. I guess I could look it up, but that would require effort.

And, wasn't the inverter something that was replaced under some sort of recall for free....seems I remember that. Sort of....

Rock Auto for very reasonable Denso brand (OEM) oil and engine air filters. TYC cabin filter should be around $3.50. Engine air filter...well,...don't recall, but way cheaper than any comparable aftermarket -- and of course much cheaper than the dealer. Denso oil filter around $3-$4.
    kris

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. hoosierprius81

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I believe Toyota Maintenance Schedule says to replace engine and inverter coolant at 100k miles, but I could be wrong.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife's '07 manual says to replace engine coolant at 100,000 miles. Oddly, it does not contain the word "inverter."

hoosierprius81 likes this.