1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bluefever, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Bluefever

Bluefever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just recently bought a new to me Prius. It's an 08 has 111,000 miles on it, the factory navi and jbl. I own a few other vehicles, one of which being a 2013 ford c-max energi. So i'm not extremely new to hybrid's, but may have a few questions along the way.Just figured i'd say hi.

Chodronish and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

sounds like a keeper, all the best (y)

3. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2007 and 2008 and love them both. Welcome, and Prius Chat is a great resource.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pay careful attention to the charging and discharging behavior of the hybrid battery. Bad hybrid battery or it has an engine that eats alot of oil are the main reasons people sell there G2. Then the new owners end up on this site and say wat happened?

If the battery spends alot of time in 1 or 2 purple bars that's not good but can be recovered. Pay attention to the oil level keep it at the full line always.

The car takes 3.7 quarts with a full new oil filter.

You can go to toyota.com/owners and join the forum and list the cars vin found on your insurance card and you will see every time the car was serviced at a toyota dealer. It will give you some insight into the cars service history.

My wife's best friend lives in Raymond, NH. I'm from Vt. Welcome.

Btw, know where the flag picture came from?

5. Bluefever

Bluefever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The battery seems to charge and discharge fine. But the VSC light came on recently. C2318 is the code my friend came up with. The 12volt battery itself tests good, but once the ice comes on it's only supplying 12.5 volts. It doesn't seem to be going through oil, though I haven't driven it much yet.

6. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Gen 2 Prii are legendary with regard to reliability, so the odds are in your favor. :) I've had both of mine for over three years now. One thing about 12V batteries in case you don't know is that they can read as okay but if weird things are happening, replacing the 12V battery can solve them. I've had to do that more than once. Even dealerships don't always know that. Also, it is the 2010 Gen 3 models that are known for problems with burning oil.