1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to owning a Prius - Noises are they Normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sdrocker, Feb 2, 2015.

1. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,

I bought a 2007 Prius last Wednesday and it's my first time owning a prius. It has 162,900 miles on it and was taken well care of and maintained well according to the previous owner. The owner was very honest and showed me all the service records. There are no maintenance or warming lights coming on.

I'm hearing some noises and wanted to make sure they are normal. Can anyone tell if they aren't and what I should check for?

1. Occasionally at a stoplight I will hear a faint beeping noise almost like an alarm clock but quite faint. I think I've seen this a couple of times when I first start it up and am in my driveway. I haven't heard it while I am driving. Is this normal?

2. Occasionally I hear a short duration buzzing noise (it is also faint) while at a stoplight or even in the driveway and occasionally while I am driving. I'm not sure if that buzzing noise happens when it switches from electric to gas and then back from gas to electric. As I said the noise is faint but audible. Is that normal?

There may have been another noise I heard but I forget the behavior. I will post when I remember or if I hear it again.

Thanks!

2. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Can't recall hearing this one

2) Is it the same buzzing you hear when you shut down? I get that one when I shut down and I think it's the pump moving coolant into the thermos (someone will correct me if I'm wrong there).

Make sure you don't hear any gurgling noises in the dash. That would indicate low coolant or bubbles in the system. Gotta get those out or could lead to inverter failure. There are several threads about that here.

3. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks, I think I have heard the buzzing noise when it shuts down but I will pay more attention to it... it might not have happened when shutting down. I don't think I heard gurgling noise in the dash but I will try to listen.

In general, is it a good idea to take the car to a Toyota dealer just to have them look at it inside out for any potential issues? Would this likely cost a lot? I can also just keep monitoring noises and describe them here.

My 53' Chevy hotrod is getting a lot of work done in my garage so I won't be able to do much or any car work on the Prius in the next few weeks. Also this is such a different animal it's hard for me to know what is normal and what isn't. Thanks!

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius makes many different noises compared to normal cars. Sometimes you will hear a motor noise when you open the drivers door. This is the brake accumulator pump pressurizing the brake system. This is the noise you are hearing at note (2) as using the brakes uses some pressure, and the pump restoring the pressure.
    You will hear a pump start for a short while at being made read and being turned off. This is the thermos coolant pump using or saving the hot coolant.
    When made ready at all times there is a slight hum of the inverter and transmission coolant pump.
    When parked for some time with the car locked the brake pump will operate. Shortly after pressing the start button you will hear two muffled clunks as the HV battery relays come into connect the battery.
    On occasions with a certain level of pressure on the brake pedal while stationary a gentle knocking can be heard this will disappear with more or less pressure on the pedal. Possibly the noise you are hearing at note (1).

John (Britprius)

#4 Britprius, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    alekska likes this.
  5. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. that is good to know I should expect many different noises with this type of cars.

When something is going bad are the noises really obvious and louder? I just want to make sure I am on top of things. This is kind of why I'm not sure if I should just monitor myself or just have a Toyota dealer take a quick inspection to make sure everything is good right now. I'm guessing everything is... the car drives and stops just fine.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when something is going bad, you will get a light on your dashboard display and trouble codes will be logged in the system computer that can be read by a code reading device. other than that, the only beeps you need concern yourself are the three after closing the door with the car still in ready, and the one that comes with the low fuel last blinking bar.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The pump that pumps the coolant at turning on and off is known to go very noisy on some cars. It makes no difference to it's operation, and even if the pump "or it's control valve" fails the car can safely continue to be used. However the malfunction light will come on. These cars are very reliable just read the posts on cars that have done 2/3/4/500,000 miles.
    Wheel bearings can at times fail giving plenty of warning "many thousands of miles" by making a humming noise that over time gets more pronounced, and higher in pitch as speed increases.

John (britprius)

8. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much! So just to make sure I understand, with these Prius cars, unless I hear a loud unusual noise, or see a warning light come on, I should be fine? Tire wear, and other obvious stuff I'm not referencing in that statement.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I should have added. Keep a close eye on the dipstick oil level. Some have reported oil usage at 100,000 miles +. To start with check the oil each time you fill with fuel to get an idea how much oil if any your car uses. Even if the car does not seem to use oil check the level on a regular basis. Never overfill the oil "it causes problems" so check it just after an oil change and make the shop that changed the oil drain to the correct level. The oil level is better just under the full mark than just over.

John (Britprius)

valde3 likes this.
  10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What is that sound? I can sometimes hear it but can’t remember reading about it.

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is one short, faint beep to let you know your fuel gauge is on empty. If you missed that "alarm" you should see the last bar of the fuel gauge flashing continuously.

As for the whine, the brushless motor-generator can do that under load, due to the switching of the three-phase current used to control it.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes you are correct. The only other item I would check is the 12 volt battery in a Prius from 2007 is the 12 volt battery. If it is the original it is due to be changed. The 12 volt battery is not used to turn the engine over as with a normal car so you get no warning by a slow cranking engine.
    Check it,s voltage first thing in the morning before starting the car Preferably with a hand held meter. It should be at least 12.4 volts and a really good battery will be as high as 13.2 volts. If you do not have or cannot use such an instrument let me know, and I will link you to a test procedure built into the car.

John (Britprius)

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's one of the valves in the brake system opening and closing. (Normal)

14. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh awesome thanks for the advice. I will check the oil and fluid levels consistently. I have multimeters and oscilloscopes from some EE related work I used to do on the side. I will take a look. Thanks! I recall the previous owner saying the 12V battery was changed but not sure when.

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That’s what I guessed already. But would you happen to have any more info? Not that I’m scared of it or that I think it’s not normal. It’s just weird that while holding steady it still wants to move some valve back and forth.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did have some notes on this leave it with me, and I will see what I can dig out.

John (Britprius)

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Link to checking the 12 volt battery using the MFD (multi function display). Be aware the MFD reading can be out usually reading low by up to 0.5 volts. Checking against a voltmeter will give the offset if any so that a corrected reading can be made in the future. A considerable charge level difference is represented by a voltage change of 0.5 volts.
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery

John (Britprius)

#17 Britprius, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  18. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a used Prius in for a pre-purchase inspection and I think they charged me $75. Just understand that they MAY take this as an opportunity to write down every tiny thing that may be fixable and not just those that are urgent. Some may even put down things that are unnecessary. So take it with a grain of salt. Trust and verify.

Read your owner's manual, check the service history and bring everything up to date. Change the trans fluid and clean the HV battery fan. Load test the 12v battery. Clean the hell out of it inside and out and you will find things on your own inspection. You can do your own maintenance inspection if you have the inclination. It's all outlined on this site...just search.

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I was car-hunting, any dealer who asked me for my credit card up-front was seen by me for the last time in my rear-view mirror.

20. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ??
    Don't think I understand. If your comment relates to mine, my situation didn't involve credit cards. Located a used Prius from a private owner that I wanted to get checked out by the Toyota Service Center before buying it.

If I'm misinterpreting your comment, sorry.