1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius..and excited!! and questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MansTer420, Apr 14, 2013.

1. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought Prius two w/ no option on friday night and just want to get on the road if there is chance..lol

I do about 30 miles round-trip every day for work 5 days a week.

Hwy is about 25 miles and the other 5 miles are local..

Will this Prius still show its power on mpg? (I seriously hope to see the significant difference because I gave up away about 150+ HP by trading Sonata to Prius)

My previous car was Hyundai Sonata 2.0t and it save me 23 mpg which I think was decent.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Longer hwy trips are excellent with the Prius. Keep your speed down to 65mph or less an 55+mpg is possible during the summer.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you will definitely be surprised on the MPG you receive. As F8L wrote, the Prius excels on long trips. Try not to drive it at high speed and it will really give you GREAT MPG. I easily get 50 + in our Gen II on long trips and that is with the A/C running. Now if I drive 70 or 75, the MPG will drop off. The Prius is not a race car, but does give excellent mileage if you drive it respectably.

Enjoy the new ride!

F8L likes this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Soon that 23mpg will suck rocks. :)

5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Welcome! The sacrifice or gain was for mpg. Can't have it all and many of us gave up the power for mpg.

6. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks !!

But I usually do 80~90 mph on hwy thats my issue...so that means I have to wake up earlier like 10 mins from now on..

Or even if I do the same with Prius, will I still see the huge difference?

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At that speed you'll get 45 MPG and in time lose you license or get in an accident or all 3

Rebound, alekska, Chris S and 4 others like this.
  8. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you manage to do 90 mph over the entire 25 miles you'll save 6 mins over going 65.

If you go 80 instead of 65 you'll save just over 4 minutes.

F8L and JMD like this.
  9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Your making a lot of assumptions here.

80mph in many parts in the bay area is the flow of traffic so that's not true.

10. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I agree with JMD. You'll get less 50MPG at 80-90 MPH, unless it's all downhill, and that is a dangerous speed and a citable traffic violation, or worse, on nearly every US highway,regardless of the flow of traffic. I wouldn't think a SFcyclist would be comfortable on the same highway as a driver traveling at 80-90 MPH.

11. Doug E B

Doug E B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new purchase. YES you will be happy with the big MPG difference. I purchased a Prius2 about 4 weeks ago and my wife drives it every day. Had a Ford Escape and was filling up every two weeks (LOML only drives 30-40 miles a week) Now we don't even look at the price of gas as we drive past gas stations. One tank a month or less.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Let me rephrase it, driving 20 or more mph or more slower than the traffic flow, that can be dangerous as well. I'm not saying that is legal. Literally go with the flow or... accidents can happen as well.

I do drive in areas where flow of traffic is that high and it's unfortunate, due to lack of law enforcement, it is what it is. And I do stay with the flow traffic as I feel that's safer. Or better yet, stay off those sections of freeway if MPG is what your after.

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First of all, Welcome! You are going to be pleasantly surprised at the fuel mileage, even at 80 MPH+. You should easily double that of the Sonata. However, don't be surprised when you get your speeding ticket. :( Good luck with youn new ride.

14. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats on your new purchase......came from Ford that got about the same 23 mpg range that you got before and you are going to be amazed at how much a difference that is in MPG and how much you are going to save.....it is still hard for us to believe how little we "gas up" compared to before the Prius cars.....

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sounds like you speak from experience..

But wow.. 1 other person cruising at 80? no way? :giggle:

16. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Believe me, the Prius is no slouch at highway speeds. As I posted before: 60mph to 95mph happens in a heartbeat. The car is very deceiving .

WE0H likes this.
  17. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

with careful driving topping 50mpg average is very doable on highway as others mentioned speed is your enemy for good mpg the sweet spot is btw 55-65 mph. But do not expect such a big windfall for 30 miles a day driving gasoline price must be significantly higher to see big saving your daily saving using your number is roughly 0.6 gallon if you do 50mpg average... so today ny gasoline price is $3.77 let say you save $2.5 a day. Real saving starts for a lot longer daily commute or if gas prices go over $5.00

I do calculate this at every fuel up among other things.

And since noone yet mentioned the car reports about 5% better mpg numbers then what is real you need to calculate yourself if you are interested of the real mpg...

p00kienrayray likes this.
  18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My point was sometimes you have to because it's safer. You will get cut off continuously if the speed differential is substantial and that's dangerous as well.

19. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I fully understand.

20. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a joke but what is the 0 to 80 MPH a good hour on a Prius. You may hit that speed as you reach the work exit in the freeway. :)