1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius..Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djtech2k, Mar 29, 2011.

1. djtech2k

djtech2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello.

I just purchased my first Prius 2 days ago. I now have a 2008 Prius Touring.

I have a few questions and was hoping the experts here could help me.

1) How can I tell if mine has the remote start option? I only got 1 key fob and it only has 3 buttons. The lock/unlock does not seem to have good range, but I was wondering how I can tell if I have remote start.

2) Since I only got 1 key, where is the best place to get a second key fob? It has the proximity start or whatever, so I need all that.

3) Mine has XM/Sirius satellite radio, so what process do I need to follow to get it activated? Is there anything special with the car or is it 100% done by Sirius/XM?

4) The navigation system seems out of date. My street is even missing. How can I get this updated? Is the Nav system run on a DVD? If so, where is it? I think my map version says something like version 0.71. How can I get this thing updated....hopefully cheap.

Thanks!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1) Remote start is not a factory option. If you have it, it was added after market.

2) You will need the dealer to program for the new key, so you might as well buy the fob there too. Check prices first, as they tend to be expensive.

3) I believe it's done by Sirius, but I'm not certain.

4) The Nav DVD is under the driver's seat. You can order it online or buy from the dealer. Either way it is expensive.

Tom

3. djtech2k

djtech2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

I thought remote start was a factory option. My bad.

Any idea on what prices will be? I saw one online but it was over $100.

I will check on the satellite radio more. I have never owned one so I was not sure which company I needed to use or what I needed from the car to get it hooked up.

I will search for the NAV DVD. Any idea what the price is or who makes it? I have found some of them on the internet before, but never looked for a Prius.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota uses XM. You can ask for some special rate that they normally don't advertise until you ask for it (I've seen PCers here mention it). The radio code is on Ch000.

The nav disc runs into the $200 range I believe. It runs on Navteq data. The navigation system is by Denso.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I was quoted $200 by my local dealer for an updated map DVD. :( (no surprise) I called Toyota customer care to log a complaint about the price just so that they have this sort of thing logged, as a data point.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's best that your street isn't listed. You shouldn't set your "home" as your actual home anyway.

7. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I set my "home" a block away from my house.

BTW, I believe an extra fob from the dealer is VERY expensive--around $300 or more. The ones advertised on EBAY often won't work; and I believe they have to be programmed for your car, which only the dealer can do at a high cost. So, they've gotcha either way.

8. klm48116

klm48116 Owner of Gen I and Gen II

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2) Since I only got 1 key, where is the best place to get a second key fob? It has the proximity start or whatever, so I need all that.

I just got a new key at my dealer. $210 for the key $100 to program it.

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are instructions on PriusChat for programming a new fob. Search for it.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It doesn't make much difference if your registration & insurance card are in the glovebox. If someone is using the GPS to find your house it probably directed them down the street.

11. djtech2k

djtech2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a DVD version that says its 9.1 but I am having trouble getting it to burn on a DL DVD+R.

I have one completed, but not sure if it will read.

How do you change it in the 2008 Prius? I looked under the driver seat today and there was a black box with a snap-off door. I opened the door and there was some other kind of "slide" button, but I couldn't see it because it was dark. Anyone have a pic or a video of how to get the DVD out to try a new one?

As for the sat radio, I am waiting to hear back from XM to see if they offer a better deal.

I saw a few online stores selling key fobs for like $125, but have no idea if they work. I need a 2nd key fob, but would rather not spend hundreds for it. The one I have only transmits lock/unlock from about 10-15 feet away. The range is not good.

12. bigmike5

bigmike5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer I get most of my Toyota parts from charges $192 for the fob. That's the price I'm remembering. And I was surprised when they said that includes programming.

I got mine on eBay, though. Around $60 in very good condition. Took me two tries to program it (via free instructions from Prius Chat).

Change your remote battery, because I get 30 to 100 feet. FWIW, the panic button worked from 150 feet inside the drum of a washer....I held it because the red button popped out and I lightly glued it back in....I heard the horn beeping....I just laughed.

DVD, probably eBay, too.

I have the dealer do NOTHING. Stevens Creek Toyota wants like $60 to change a cabin air filter. Its a $5 part on eBay. 30 seconds to change.

For major servicing: Luscious Garage in San Francisco. I'm not a fan of San Francisco. But, in my book Luscious is GOLDEN. They will blindside you with fast/friendly/knowledgable service and reasonable pricing.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/luscious-garage-san-francisco

13. djtech2k

djtech2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally found the eject button and tried my burned DVD's but none of them will read. I have tried it like 5x and a few failed to burn and 2 that did burn will not read in the drive.

Any advice on the burn process?

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At 0 & 5 you should probably give up. If burning at 1x with write verification won't work there is probably some form of encryption or copy protection you can't break. Maybe it is looking for data on a track you can't physically write to. Maybe it is looking for a damaged sector at a specific address.

15. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other threads have lead me to believe the drive in the Prius simply won't read burned disks. I have read tales of peoples burned disk working in a Lexus (of the same nav generation) but not working in the Prius. Maybe find a Lexus Nav owner who would swap your burned disk and a few $$$ for their new one?

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, it could be some sort of copy protection. I don't know what media the OP is using but digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide is a decent guide (digitalFAQ.com | DVD-Video Guides | DVD Media Guides & Reviews is the shortcut to get to the top of this site). Brand that you see on the disc doesn't necessarily mean squat.

You need use tools to read the media code. Buying discs from known good manufacturers helps. There's a fair amount of crap media floating around.