1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new to prius/

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blk05prius, Oct 24, 2016.

1. blk05prius

blk05prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2005 prius hybrid and im completely confused on some things. first my check engine light came on throwing p1121 so I changed the coolant valve. but my real problem is my maintence required light stays on and sometimes randomly the red exclamation point, the maint required and vcr light comes on. its not at any certain time just random. it has gone a month before coming on until yesterday.does anyone have any clue what this means. when I scan it it says no codes found but I have to clear it to re start the car.

2. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Get a better scanner. If the MIL (red triangle) appears then there must be a code. Your code reader might not be capable of talking to all of the different computers and unable to see all codes.

The maintenance reminder light is unrelated and is triggered by mileage. Instructions for resetting it can be found searching the forums here. The MIL is a bigger problem, so focus on that first.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you have tape stuck in the VCR. (y):whistle: All joking aside, I assume you mean the VSC light.
    ... in the owner's manual too.

Have you checked your oil level lately?

#3 dolj, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a bit of pedantry on these symbols in the pursuit of clear understanding:

The red triangle with exclaimation point is actually the master caution light.
    The engine symbol with the word CHECK under is the MIL (Message information light or aka CEL, check engine light).

fotomoto likes this.
  5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the correction