1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cnc97, Mar 17, 2018.

1. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I had been researching the Prius about 1 year. I was considering trading in my vehicle and getting one, but on 2-16, someone ran a red light and totaled my other car. So I picked up a 2010 Prius III. It had 209k miles. It was originally listed at $5995, as a Prius I when I found it. I watched the listing for a week, and I went to drive it on 2-28. It was raining and nasty here and about 38-40 degrees. It ran fine, but it had some engine misfire codes in current and history when I scanned the computer. Dealer would not negotiate on price and I walked away.

Fast forward to March 3. It was sunny and in the low 60’s. I saw the dealer had lowered the price to $100.00 over my offer from 2-28. So I went back. I drove the car again and it still had a few issues. But the issues were dramatically reduced. I was able to get them to meet my pricing and I drove it home. 40 minutes down the highway and it was doing pretty poorly on economy. High 20’s on the display. No indicators of battery issue, but a check engine light.

I replaced the plugs, and all four coils. I also topped off the antifreeze and brake fluid. Since then I have put nearly 500 mile on it and couldn’t be happier. It is now returning 44mpg on dedicated in town to and from work commuting. I had a different dealer inspect it after I had done my work, and they asked me if I was aware that I had a III trim. I said the selling dealer told me it was a I trim. They explained the options mine has make it a III. They also asked if I was ready to trade it in. They offered more then the sum of purchase price, licensing, and the tune up.

I share my story to let anyone reading the forums for information, as I had, to say if you see a Prius that you like, go for it. I think I have even provided enough info to a co worker to convince them to get one. This is the second Toyota I have ever owned (81 Corolla RWD) was the first. But I can’t say enough good about it.

RCO and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6k for an 8 year old car with over 200k on the clock? wow, they must be like unicorns out there.:p

congrats, all the best!(y)

3. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My original offer was $4600

bisco likes this.