1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by FutureOwner, Aug 16, 2019.

1. FutureOwner

FutureOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy there! Having driven diesel most my life (jetta TDI and F250 Platinum) I moved on to a Tacoma 3 years ago. I fell in love with Toyota! I got bigger tires for the taco, bumpers, sliders, all sorts of stuff...which now gives me 12mpg highway and 15mpg in the city, yeah IDK why its less on the highway. So Im looking for a daily driving car. I just put 1K miles in my truck this past week and I drive that much often. Im debating between a Corolla, Camry, Prius, and maybe an Accord or Civic. I have a corolla and sentr for my drivers. The corolla is far better imo. I also know camrys are pretty darn solid. I want a gas saver that can handle 150-250K miles. Some folks have told me they have had prius' for close to 200K miles, a lot buy em again. All that speaks great about em. I have also heard about some people having nightmares with electric cars and having to replace their expensive batteries often. I was wondering if yall could chime in on them and give me some pros or cons on em. Im looking at the L Eco in particular since it seems to be the more economical trim. So please chime in guys. Thank you.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They only times I am aware of that has happened with a Prius, is when somebody bought a "reconditioned" (aka repaired failed) battery pack. The only source of new packs is Toyota. A user here, @2k1Toaster now sells a kit of new battery cells for less money that basically gives you a new battery.
    My son drove his 2005 Prius to dog shows all across the the eastern US for 10 years before he traded it in, still with the original traction battery. He now drives his 2015 Prius v wagon. That is partially what convinced be to get my 2017 Prius back in October 2017.

FutureOwner likes this.
  3. FutureOwner

FutureOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know by any chance if the drive trains are the same? Or are there different models?

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius is a hatchback that has more room than the Corolla. If you can stand the "big black grille" you might want to consider the Corolla Hybrid.
    Although the Hybrid Camry LE is rated he same mpg as the Prius, I think they stretched things, including putting steel rims on the car instead of the alloy wheels on other trims ( & the Prius)
    The Prius Prime is a Prius that can plug in to recharge to get about 30 miles per plugin charge in EV mode.

5. FutureOwner

FutureOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For about the same price as a base Prius I think Id rather go prius...Isnt it also roomier? For the driver aswell as the rear storage.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

some have great luck, others not so much. we see a lot of the problem children here, but on average, 150-250 is probably a reasonable number.
    bear in mind, the hotter the climate, the more likely the battery will be at the low end of the average.

all the best!(y)

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PRIUS boot is bigger as far as "acreage" is concerned - not quite as high, but I find I want area, rather than height for 99% of stuff.

PRIUS has gone top of the charts for reliability for many years. Batteries - most will outlast the car. As will brakes.

8. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My last car was a Jetta TDI. I wasn't expecting to like the Prius, but when I drove it, I loved it. It has more pep than you would think especially if not in eco mode. I put a LOT of miles on it and haven't had any problems, except right now I have 2 automatic door locks that are stubborn and sometimes stop responding. I'm at 98,000 miles in about 32 months with my 2017 Prius 4 and have had very little unexpected maintenance.

krmcg likes this.