1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to the Crew 2005 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kwame616, Jan 18, 2017.

1. kwame616

kwame616 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'ello everyone. Just got a silver 2005 w/ ~95,000 miles. Had an 02 accord since 2004 that, despite some pretty dire neglect until recently, served me like a champ until overheated last year. Tried for a few months to get her back on the road but in the end better since prevailed and after much deliberation decided on a prius. Been devouring info for the past week or so, and man there's alot to chew on. Averaging about 55mpg w/out much effort. Had about 2/3 of a tank pulling out the dealer and decided to try and fill up but the pump just kept clicking and then spewed out some gas. Was kinda pissed but have cooled off since, especially seeing how awesome the mpgs are. Had read about bladder problems in the cold but it's been really warm lately so wasn't expecting that. Haven't tried again since. Driven about 150 miles so far and I don't think she's dropped a bar on the fuel gauge (could be wrong, didn't count exactly) so I'm thinking it needs to be reset but haven't tried the method I saw on here yet. Gonna carry 2gal gas just in case something is way off so I don't run out of gas till things get sorted out. Any pointers or words of wisdom w/ these issues would be great. Overall still pretty pleased so far despite the issues. Cheers

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.
    Enjoy your car. I believe there may be some recommended maintenance for you to consider at that mileage. The users in the Gen 2 threads are very helpful.
    Fortunately for us, the newer Prius does not have the problematic bladder of the Gen 2 US Prius.
    I believe some people says it takes 3 gallons to get going after you run out.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! try another pump. let the tank breathe for a few minutes after removing the cap. pump as slowly as possible. try holding the nozzle at a 45 or 90 degree angle.
    all the best!(y)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spoken like a former Gen 2 user. Thanks, bisco.

bisco likes this.
  5. kwame616

kwame616 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up about the 3 gallons as well as those fill tips. Also read somewhere about sticking a finger below the fill hole to let it vent. My thought factoring in the gauge issue was that the gauge was off and that the tank was already near full causing the pump to click but that's a shot in the dark and probly just as likely if not more a pump issue. Gonna try again to fill up tomorrow and hope with fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be a significant issue. Everything I've read so far has given the impression it's a sporadic thing. I'll be getting into all the maintenance stuff asap.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a way to reset the gauge, if you can find it.

7. kwame616

kwame616 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Bisco, yeah I've got that procedure bookmarked. Still haven't gotten the reverse and seat belt beep nix codes working yet, but only tried twice. Feels like i'm entering the cheat codes in Contra on the original nintendo doing some of this stuff, lol. Weird, but pretty cool. Way different than my honda.

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.