1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to the Prius/Hybrid Game

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by greekchampion04, Sep 10, 2012.

1. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    have not checked the battery voltage and my tires are also wayy under inflated, i have not checked them and upped them yet, but i am going to put mine at 42/40 and see how things go

as of now, driving pretty much normally i have been getting 49mpg which is awesome, im sure with tire pressure and driving adjustments that mileage will go up!

mostly i have been looking into adding an aftermarket navigation system into my prius, with sirius/xm.. going to be expensive but i think it will be worth it

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Woot woot! (on the mileage).

I have the factory NAV but am DYING absolutely DYING without my Sirius!!! I guess since I have the JBL with the "am/sat" button I can add Sirius but for something for like $199 for the kit. Thats redonkulous. I have a few year old Starmate Sirius receiver and car kit that came out of one of my boats. Im going to install that. I really prefer the OEM look, or at the very least the Sirius to integrate with the OEM stereo and be controlled through that, but for $199 - thats a lot of gas (or window tint - which is my task tmo to get quotes) :D

3. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have to say, the 199 kit is not a bad deal... i put one of those into my fiance's corolla and having it all integrated with the factory head unit is very nice. if i were you, id put it in.

my problem is i dont have bluetooth in my car right now and i consider that to be a VITAL safety feature. i could add bluetooth and sirius to my existing stock radio for ~$300 or get the whole nav/radio/sirius/bluetooth shebang with OEM styling for around $900.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can buy Bluetooth speakerphones for way less. (Some folks refer to them at "car kits", which is a term I dislike and find confusing.)

5. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i know, but i want everything to be integrated and seamless... phonecall comes in, rings through stereo speakers, notification/caller id readout on screen, answer button, call comes through stereo speakers

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I dig the stock OEM look/function too. Totally relate 100%.

I have the bluetooth in my Pri, havent figured it out yet!! LOL... 32 years old and this car makes me feel OLD.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Heh. Not me, I'm 37 and got my 06 Prius new when I was 31. I have package NL, which at the time was every option except leather.

8. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i am 22, i think for sure on the young end of the prius owning age bracket

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius gets 5 stars in all crash rating categories. It is as safe as NHTSA can evaluate. There are a number of anecdotes on the forum about people getting safely out of their totaled Prii. You can do a search from the top right corner of the site.

10. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're glad you're OK. How did it happen?