1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to the site and very new to hybrids. Looking at an 04, a little help would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MrSteveB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone, I always thought I'd be the last one to own a Prius but ever since the C came out I've really changed my opinion about them and am looking to get a Gen II model soon. I'm currently looking at a local 04. The car has 92,000 miles on it for $7495. The car also has a prior salvage but has already been inspected by the state of MN and passed. I know the salvage is a good bargaining chip for the car but after looking at Prius' for weeks and weeks I still am not too great on judging value of these cars. Wondering what you guys think..

Also how difficult is it to install an after market stereo in this specific car. I have installed quite a few stereos in other cars with little to no issues.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the site.
    Your post is a little confusing but I think you are saying used 2006 Prius Package 4.
    Blue book value is approx. $8000-$8500 or so.
    I have no idea what salvage means but sounds like they are knocking off some value.
    Believe MN is not a CARB state so your hybrid battery would be going off warranty at 8yrs or 100000 miles.

3. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, sorry about that, I now see what you mean about confusing.
    The prius is a 2004 and I'm not sure which package it is. The salvage means that at one point the car was totalled out by an insurance company or the state and this could be for any reason such as flood, theft, too much damage, or a collision damage. In this case the car was in a front end collision and was repaired already. The salvage title has been removed which means the state has inspected the car and said it's good to go. However depending on what you guys say and what else I learn I would have a mechanic take a real look at it too.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK well that price sounds a bit high for a salvage 2004 Prius.
    Check out Carmax.com for prices are compare to certified used at Toyota.

5. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay thanks for the info. I've also been a little weary about buying prior salvage anyways after some of the info I've read on here!

6. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an 04 on my local craigslist with salvage title, only $5300. It's been there for a long time too. To me a salvage takes 50% off KBB private party even if it was repaired correctly. Personally I'd steer clear of any salvage vehicle. They are never the same after being repaired.

At the price range you're looking at finding a clean prius under 100k miles will be tough but not impossible. Good luck.

I'm new here and found an 07 touring edition with 122k for $8450 after 3 weeks of looking. Very happy so far.

7. frtsniffr2004

frtsniffr2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey,

Kindda in the same boat as you...i bought my 04 package 6 salvaged with 140k the other week. Has new title and seems to have been done correctly, i got it for 4600. Carfax said no airbags deployed and a front end collision. My take on it was that insurance totaled it out due to having 139k when the accident happened, it doesnt take long to reach 70% of the cars value with an almost 10 year old car and 139k. so far so good, getting 54.2mpg on my 88mile a day commute!!!

8. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For a while I was planning on steering away from all salvage titles because I was worried about the batteries or electronics becoming damaged from the wreck. I found a guy in southern Minnesota that literally only buys and fixes salvaged Prius'. He's got about 25 on his lot and he pulls from the bad ones which are his donor cars and repairs the decent ones. I just picked up an 07 touring package today for 8300 bucks with 94,000 miles on it. I'm not sure about where you live, but in Minnesota when a Prius is listed for under 10,000 people go beserk and jump on that like a hungry lion. While I was looking at the car he had several other calls on that one alone. He does the repairs right, being he cuts away what was damaged and replaces it from one of his donor cars. My car was hit front left and you can't tell it was ever damaged except for under the hood where you can see where it was welded. The car runs like a dream, feels excellent to me! He also stands behind all his work and will fix anything that goes wrong if it was a faulty fix. Pretty excited about this car! Averaging 53mpg already. Full synth oil change, spark plugs, and air filter tomorrow! Annnnnnd I just wrote a small novel. haha