1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New UK Prius Coming Soon! Does it have ASL and Auto folding Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Bowruss, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Bowruss

Bowruss New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all

My first time here - I'm hoping to take delivery of a new Prius, the UK Excel, in about a month.

Could anyone tell me if it has ASL - adjustable speed limiter , independent of the cruise control - which you set for say 30 mph and even if you accelerate, it will not allo the car to exceed the set 30? If it has it, how do you set it up? The brochure says it has ASL but we couldn't find it! I had a test drive the other day and the salesman and I could not fathom it out.

Also, does the Excel UK spec include the auto door fold mirrors feature on (say) Mercs that allows you to set the door mirrors to fold in when you lock the car? Again, I couldn't see an auto feature.

BTW - I mention UK specs because from my trips round the net looking at all things Prius, it is clear that specs are different depending on your country.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Russ

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Hi and welcome to Priuschat Russ. Yes the Excel does have the speed limiter. To set it, you press the button on the dash, just to the right and below the steering wheel, accelerate (or brake) to the required speed and push the cruise control lever down (set) to set the speed limit. You can adjust the set speed by pushing the cruise lever up or down. You can also cancel and resume the limit with the cruise lever too. Fully depressing the accelerator overrides it. The mirrors do fold in and out when you lock and unlock the car and this can also be done manually or switched off with the mirror switch on the door if you prefer. ASL actually refers to Automatic Sound Leveller on the audio system.

pakitt likes this.
  3. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    As the car is capable of auto braking using the Dynamic Cruise Control, does it auto-brake when using the speed limiter, for example when going down hill, to avoid exceeding the set speed?

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, DRCC will decelerate the car when traffic slows. It will resume set speed when the condition clears. ASL will do its best to prevent the car from exceeding the set speed.

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    No, although DCC does, the manual states that the speed limiter function does not, quote:" set speed limit may be exceeded when going down hill".

6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks for the info.

Shame that - as the DRCC does, it seems like a missed opportunity on Toyota's part not to design the speed limiter to do the same, as the car is clearly capable of it.