1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New UK Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcevedy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Aug 13 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]494709[/snapback]</div>
    Is this true? If so what is the point of a mirror here?

2. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 14 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]494670[/snapback]</div>
    My apologies, I misread my owners manual. :blink: We do only have the 15 inch. For some reason, the "compact" spare is 16 inch.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 12 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]494378[/snapback]</div>
    I think this must be a question for a Toyota spokesperson. Well, nobody else made that joke. Probably for a good reason too I suspect.

For UK Priuschaters I just renewed my tax disc for a year for £15. Half last years! :D The Yaris was £115 I think.

4. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My dealer provided 12 full months tax and paid an extra £3 so that the last day of the month (when I bought it was covered!) The Aygo has cheap tax as well - £35 a year instead of the normal rate which can be up to £300.
    I do however also have another petrol driven car which due to the vagueries of the British tax system, is actually free to tax - it costs the government money to send me the disc! Best time of the year!! :D

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Aug 14 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]495282[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: ... I didn't actually mean a reflective mirror by definition, rather as an expression to mean that the layout is reversed. :huh:

North American Prii have a shifter in an "h" configuration as pictured here, while the OP's photo shows that the UK Prius is just the opposite, where Reverse is "Up and Right" and Drive is "Down and Right".

Just an observation, that's all...

6. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Aug 14 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]495402[/snapback]</div>
    And are the foot pedals reversed so that your left foot is operating the accelerator? Difficult to see why the designer felt it necessary to change the configuration of the shifter. Any suggestions?

7. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I suppose it feels more natural. Anyway, this is how the car was originally planned to an extent as the Japanese very sensibly drive on the correct side of the road! :lol:
    Very impressed with lots of little details. I am completely converted to Toyotas - we now have three! The Prius, the Aygo and a 1993 Camry Estate V6. I realise the last is a common car in the US, and indeed is made there, but in the UK, this is a very unusual car! We have a magazine called Car and this ran a feature in 1993, the year we bought the Camry. It described several large estate cars - the Mercedes E class was thought to be best with the BMW 5 series Touring next. Could do better was the Citroen XM estate (lovely car) and finally came the Camry GX V6 which was described as 'The Salesman's Nightmare!' In the previous year, a grand total of 6 were sold in the UK, our's being one! The 2.2 sold more admittedly but it has been an incredible car and no small part in my decision to buy the Prius. In the true Toyota spirit of the time, it is massively over engineered. I hope the Prius proves to be the same!

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Aug 14 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]495473[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... no, the right foot/right pedal is always the accelerator regardless of which side the driver is on (AFAIK)... I don't think any automaker would ever risk changing that convention for any country! :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 14 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]495509[/snapback]</div>
    Touché!

9. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 15 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]495509[/snapback]</div>
    Control movements towards the centre plane of the body are more accurate (when you control for handedness)
    Moving the shifter towards the steering wheel (centre plane of driver's body) means that the shift pattern is reversed.

And, after driving my RH drive Prius for so long now, the Nth Am one just looks weird... B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Aug 15 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]495600[/snapback]</div>
    Just for the heck of it,
    here's a Model T. Brake pedal on the right.
    [attachmentid=10650] [attachmentid=10651]

Seems to me an Italian car had brake pedal on the right until the late 60's also. Anyone recall which one?

Attached Files: