1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New/used 2013 mpg Qs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by uboreeves, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. uboreeves

uboreeves New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there - I just purchased a used CPO 2013 with 43K mi on it and I am new to understanding how to maximize mpg. I drive less than 10 mi on most trips around town (hilly terrain in Asheville NC - mix of highway and city for those miles) and so far in the 2 days I've had it I am getting low 40s mpg (41, 42, 46). I've needed AC a little bit, but I'm not too impressed with this mpg and was expecting higher. I've heard of this "warm up penalty" but I don't know if that is what is contributing to the lower mpg or if it's something else. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

the best thing to do is read through some of the mpg advise threads. there's a particularly good questionnaire sticky in the gen 2 forums.
    then calculate your mpg's at the pump by the tankful. a few quick things to check are tires pressure, air filter, oil level and 12v health.
    all the best!(y)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Certainly 10 miles is still going to be warming up, and in my rare visits to Asheville, it was very hilly. (To be honest, in part i was there to experience hilly, Mississippi is very flat) I find that the Prius likes high temps into the 90sF, before the MPG begins to drop off again. Use the A/C, you do not want the battery to get too hot.
    I would make sure I bought Low Rolling Resistance tires when they need replacing, and that the oil is not over filled.
    You will also retrain yourself to drive more frugally, low gentle braking yields more MPG than sudden sharp braking, as an example.

If I was you, I would drive the first two tanks just to familiarize myself with the controls, instruments and outside views. Find a gas station you intend to use each time and always do fillups. I use Fuelly.com to track mileage, but a piece of paper is fine.
    Once you are consistently filling to the same point each tank, you can get accurate measurements. The onscreen Mileage is only an optimistic guess.

Fuelly lists 46 MPG as the owner's average, but your MPG is not outside the range of owners.
    2013 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 689 2013 Toyota Prius owners

RMB and uboreeves like this.
  4. uboreeves

uboreeves New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, I will start tracking my tanks and will search for that questionnaire... Everything is all topped off and new AF, etc. as it just came from the dealer. I am not sure how to check the 12v health - will have to research that.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A quick and dirty, no tools way is to wait until it has not been driven for 8 hours and press POWER without pressing the brake, twice.
    Now run the power windows down and up. (this uses the 12 battery) Press the brake and start the car and run the power windows again. (this uses the charging system) If the battery is healthy it will take about the same period of time. If the first time is WAY slow, you want a more elaborate test.

Most Auto Parts stores have a meter.

here is the best questionnaire to get thinking about MPG. You can answer it in this thread if you like.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat

#5 JimboPalmer, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    PriusNeckBeard and uboreeves like this.
  6. uboreeves

uboreeves New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much! I will try that for sure.

7. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    A couple of things:

1. You're mpg is what I get in hilly Ohio with not enough WARM up (ie. Short trips). It is what it is.

2. Yet and still....There's not much difference between 43 and 50 mpg any way, so it's much less of an issue than you think.

For example..at 15,000 miles/year,
    50 mpg results in 300 gallons x $2.50= $750/ year.
    At 43 mpg, it's 15,000/43=349 gals/year x $2.50= $872.
    So...it's a $122 difference per year. At these high mpg, a few mpg difference doesn't affect things much, percentage- and dollar-wise

3. Try 40 psi front tires and 38 rear. I find that's the sweet spot for reasonable comfort and a little mpg boost.

4. You say you've had the car for two days. That means you're relying on the prius screen to estimate mpg. Just as an fyi...That's imprecise. For example, IIRC, the shorter the trip, the less precise the screen is. It's like a pretty good estimate. Also, an overall drop in elevation between trip end points can have quite an impact on mpg. but yeah, it's good to get a sense if what's going on, so you're on the right track.

Also, just so you know...mpg will drop in the winter.

5. All other things being equal (ie especially prices) BP Invigorate gas or similar (gas adhering to that standard) should improve mpg by like 2 mpg.

6. Just all you know...even though mpg is great but not mind-blowing, know that you will save a ton of money (and the environment) when this car doesn't break down, need as many oil changes, nor brake changes as your last car.

- PNB

uboreeves likes this.
  8. uboreeves

uboreeves New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! Good info! I've read a lot more since buying the car and driving for the last few weeks. I'm tracking my fuel inputs and mileage now in Fuelly so I'll get a better long-term overarching picture of mpg. Definitely hilly challenges here in AVL and I realize many of my trips are short, so I get that warm-up penalty alot. But I do drive distances sometimes and I'm seeing much higher mileages on those trips. really appreciate all the input and resources folks have shared re: this. Thanks again.

bisco likes this.