1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New visitor needs help with hybrid battery error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Les B., Jan 16, 2019.

1. Les B.

Les B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok gang. Time for your thinking caps. I have been getting the triangle of death reporting battery error codes especially the same one ending in 3022 using Dr. Prius and a Bluetooth OBD2 reader. 3022 reports block 12 needs replaced. I see that on the display with Dr. Prius. Soooo I swapped block 14 with 12 and got the same code on the old computer . I replaced the battery computer module 89890-47092. Getting the same code saying block 12 is bad and it shows the exact same a volt and a half difference.. I also bought and installed a new dealer supplied OEM buss bar with the sensors because I saw a lot of corrosion just to be sure. While watching the real time display on the app I saw a lot of wild swings from yellow to red on the battery bars. Also the battery charge amount on the dash display goes from green bars to blue bars. Is it possible that there is another computer in the loop that is the real culprit.

#1 Les B., Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

original battery?

any work ever been done previously?

3. Les B.

Les B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    217,000, original battery. I did replace 2 battery cells last year. I tested every cell and they all showed high 7s. I even load tested the suspect battery cells before swapping block 14 with block 12. I have a dc controls background so i'm pretty saavy in that area. Anyway I would love to track down the culprit that is setting the error code. Thought about replacing the main computer.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you think tech stream would be more helpful than doc prius?

5. Les B.

Les B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it seems to work ok. It resets the battery faults etc. How expensive is the tech stream app

6. Les B.

Les B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok I'm downloading it now. I was wondering if the computer in the front of the car in the right side kick panel is storing the fault. Im going to unhook the battery and try to see if I can get a reset

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No thinking cap required. Your HV battery is bad. Block 12 may have been the weakest, but they are all the same age and mileage. Unless it's a catastrophic failure of a module, there should be little difference between them.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How are you determining which are blocks 12 and 14? The blocks are counted starting from the end opposite the electronics. Do you also realise that blocks consist of 2 modules? Block 14 would be the two modules (27 & 28) closest to the electronics.

I suspect you may have actually swapped one module from block 9 (module 17) with one module from block 8 (module 15), if you only swapped 2 modules rather than 2 blocks. Even if you are counting from the correct end, but swapped two modules rather than blocks you would have swapped module 12 (from block 6) with module 14 (from block 7). Either way you made no change to block 12.

All this is academic, what 2k1Toaster has said is probably more to the point.

#8 dolj, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    davecook89t and SFO like this.
  9. Les B.

Les B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am aware of how the blocks are numbered.. Good to go there, also I am experienced in the dc controls area and made a living designing and selling DC controls and power distribution units Just learning this Prius I own. I use the Dr. Prius app to read and clear the battery fault but it returns. My question is do I need to reset any fault memory in another computer in the chain of this over engineered golf cart with doors.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That being the case, I'm wondering why the fault code did not move to block 14 when you swapped the 2 modules of block 12 with the 2 modules of block 14. Presumably you put a voltmeter over these 4 modules and found no significant voltage variation. If all these assumptions are correct, it would have me leaning to check all the harnesses and connections. Maybe you did not get everything correct when you replaced the buss bar and harnesses. Did the plug/socket into the ECU look clean and free from corrosion/burnt pins?

I'm not sure how Dr Prius works for clearing codes, but in Techstream you can go into a specific ECU and just clear the codes for that ECU or you can clear all codes globally.

Also, any chance Dr Prius is bringing up old scan information and you are not seeing fresh data when you do a subsequent scan?

Codes for HV battery faults can be set over multiple ECU's (eg ABS, HV battery) so if you just clear the HV battery ECU, then others could be left. If you clear a code and it comes back, then the fault is not fixed.

#10 dolj, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly bro, we are here to help. Give the site a chance and you might be surprised

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you clear the codes, all the ECUs are cleared, you even lose the emissions data. If it comes back after being cleared, it is being registered again.

Since you are good with high voltage, and you are in Florida (your location info) I would look at the HV Battery ECU, especially the connector. It is a known problem in high humidity and corrosive environments (like salt washes) that the connectors can start being eaten through and eventually the magic smoke escapes and it doesn't work anymore. As this happens the readings of the module can be suspect because there is another path for the sense current to go other than into the ADC.

13. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The results you are getting certainly suggest that you are mistaken.

No, there are no secrets to clearing the codes. Just disconnecting the 12 volt battery will clear most codes. If the codes return the problem is still there.

Try running a forced charge and discharge while monitoring the block voltages with Dr Prius. Hybrid Assistant & Reporter is another excellent app for battery work.

14. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you do a continuity check on the sensor wire for that block 12? Your sensor wire may have a break or a crack in the tab that causes the faulty reading when the modules are not the issue. I am nor replacing one such harness that got corroded ALL the way from the battery end and into the battery controller. CORROSION!