1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New VW Diesel Could Match Hybrid Mileage

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Whirldy

Whirldy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    being a "convert" to hybrid (my 1st ever!) after owning vw tdi for almost 10+ years, I can appreciate this! :D

2. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

Wayne did post a graphic for the 1.6L Ford Fusion Ecoboost...

[​IMG]

Ford February 2013 Sales up 9.3% + 2013 Fusion SE Review - CleanMPG Forums (Post #1)

He notes that the mileage may be 3 mpg low, but even taking that into account, the Passat TDI has about 50% higher fuel mileage than the Fusion at those cruising speeds.

Edmunds achieved almost 52 mpg at 70 mph with a Passat TDI DSG in the highway test they did last year...

The 40-MPG Challenge

seftonm likes this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get trapped by thinking 1 mpg has a fixed value. In terms of consumption (L/100km), the difference between the Passat and Prius is greater at 70mph than 50mph.

50mph L/100km:
    Passat: 3.4
    Prius: 3.6
    Difference = 0.2L/100km

70mph L/100km:
    Passat: 4.88
    Prius: 5.16
    Difference = 0.28L/100km

Going by mpg is not a good way to measure consumption. The Prius is also more aerodynamic than the Passat. The Passat is fighting an increasingly large difference in drag compared

Trollbait likes this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First I said jetta, and the graphs are for the passat. There isn't a inconsistancy. The graphs don't go out far enough for the knee in the prius curve. The passat should be compared to the camry hybrid cures. My claims were diesel versus atkinson, and talked about hybrids not getting their varried speed bursts at higher speeds. Cruise control isn't the best test of a hybrid. We all know the prius is more aerodynamic than the compared cars, which should help its curves. We see this. The diesel energy premium is in % compared to gasoline, not in mpg. If you have lower efficiency, you need fewer mpg differencial to make up for it.
    I would definitely trust bob's tests, but they use different methodology. If he were to test a jetta tdi I would think he would also get higher than clean mpgs methodology. I trust wayne in testing cars in the same way. We should not compare apples and oranges.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As I was passing by the closest-to-my-house gas station today, I noted a 50 cents difference in the fuels used by a Prius and a Diesel Jetta or Passat. $3.899 versus $3.399

So lets talk miles per dollar since that is what the consumer feels at the pump. How do the two compare on that scale?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You will not be able to find ONE_RIGHT_ANSWER because the price difference between diesel and petrol vary across the country as does the highway:city use between car owners.

I can show you how it pens out for my wife as an example:
    She drives 50% highway, 50% city
    Say the diesel car is 45 mpg highway, 35 mpg city
    The Prius is 49 mpg highway, 51 mpg city
    Petrol is $3.30 a gallon, diesel is $3.70

The mpg is correctly calculated as a harmonic mean, but I'm feeling lazy and will just take the average... (this will be to the diesel's advantage)
    The diesel would be (45+35)/2 = 40 mpg
    The Prius would be 50 mpg

Diesel pennies/mile fuel cost is 370/40
    Prius pennies/mile fuel cost is 330/50

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I swear those are your charts showing MPG, it is not like I introduced them. Similarly, this is PriusChat, of course we will compare other cars to Prius. Had you wanted to compare to different cars, this may be the wrong forum.

I am not anti-diesel, I am not even anti VW, but fussing that I used charts you brought to the discussion in a way you dislike is pretty silly, if you can do the math to make charts that show the points you want them to show, I would use those graphs instead.

(I once made this graph showing how rarely I make graphs:
    [​IMG])

ftl, godzillaismad and SageBrush like this.
  8. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They aren't my charts. They are made by Wayne Gerdes at CleanMPG. I was hoping it would be clear enough for people without me needing to re-plot everything. Here is a table for you though.

L/100km
    Code:
    Speed Prius Passat  Difference
    50	3.60	3.53	0.07
    55	3.78	3.72	0.07
    60	4.06	3.98	0.08
    65	4.50	4.35	0.15
    70	5.16	4.88	0.29

If you don't like L/100km then you can simply do some math on the charts. At 50mph the Passat gets 2% higher mpg, but at 70mph, the Passat gets 5.9% higher mpg. Again, since 1 mpg does not have a fixed value, it can sometimes be confusing to use those units. The point I want to show is that the Passat does become increasingly more efficient relative to the Prius at higher speeds, hopefully I have done that now.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These numbers look quite believable. If CO2/mile was calculated the Passat would break even at about 65 mph and win at 70 mph. Is there really any argument that the Passat is a match to the Prius on the highway ? The point we keep making that the diesel propaganda press ignore is the urban cycle.

10. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Like others in the thread, I am not a diesel hater, I even go as far to recommend another colleague to get a diesel if the travel is mainly highway. But admittedly I am a bit of a VW hater because of the flaks I cop from my ignorant VW loving work colleague, also I would not recommending any VW because of the potential unreliability issues like others have mentioned in this thread.

However, diesel prices are a little dearer than petrol in Australia, so all the so-called diesel advantage (@ a mere 5.9%) quickly vanished at the pump before you drive.

austingreen likes this.
  11. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Why did you mix MPH with L/100KM?

There are not any places in Australia where you could do 70mph (or 112kmh) anyway, maybe travelling to interstates or something.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An unfortunate result of his Canadian origins I presume. :D
    The French and British never reached an understanding.

godzillaismad likes this.
  13. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And diesel is $4.20 gallon here

cm_tenderloin ? 2

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Here" would mean so much more if you filled out the Location in your Profile.

15. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Diesel car emits less particulates than the Prius, yeah, right.:rolleyes:

DBCassidy

godzillaismad likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    By happy accident, I've been looking at Prius efficiency by tracing from vehicle drag. Some of my earliest Prius studies of our NHW11 involved modeling the vehicle efficiency based upon the known drag formula:
    [​IMG]
    This chart dates from September 2007. Some of those green diamond data points date from October 2005. That gray line with the peak at 18-19 mph reflected addition of the ~450W vehicle overhead. But I never did a similar analysis of the engine.

Like most folks, I took the BSFC as gospel for engine efficiency, either spark or diesel but the problem of engine overhead, the mechanical drag kept bothering me. I knew the trick of using starter power as a metric for engine drag but that only works up to about 1,000 rpm. Then I started thinking about the idle engine fuel flow, a direct metric of the engine drag. The break through was realizing cycling the engine, the hybrid trick, allows our Prius to:
    • turn off engine - not running, the engine mechanical overhead disappears but we all knew this.
    • bury the overhead - when running the Prius engine produces excess power which dilutes the engine mechanical drag. This excess power is normally banked in the traction battery but it can be banked in potential energy.
    So when I looked at the vehicle drag power and found it was in the same order as the engine mechanical drag power, the light finally came on. Of course it helps that I wasted nearly 30 hours staring at Scangauge II data during that fool, marathon driving stunt.

Thermodynamic efficiency and ignoring the engine mechanical drag leaves City mileage a puzzle:
    Column 1 Column 2
    0 [th]City[th]model
    1 [tr][td2]26 MPG[td2]Chevy Eco Cruze 2013
    2 [tr][td2]30 MPG[td2]VW Jetta 2013
    3 [tr][td2]51 MPG[td2]Prius 2013
    Source: Fuel Economy

The diesel and gas cars could be brothers but the hybrid blows them away. Only including the engine mechanical overhead and the hybrid engine cycling provides quantitative numbers that explain the difference.

As for highway performance, the old "Green Human" nonsense drive, Portland-to-Portland, found at their speeds, probably closer to 75 mph, the Prius and Jetta had nearly identical numbers . . . that shocked them too. They were expecting inefficiencies of the Prius transmission at high power and speeds to give the Jetta an advantage that never showed up.

Bob Wilson

17. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo was asking at what point the diesel becomes more frugal, I am providing data to answer his questions.

Also, I figured even fewer people use gal/100mi than l/100km.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Then the question remains, why are you not including urban numbers too ?

dbcassidy likes this.
  19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. I am the one wjo was trying to get numbers to back up the claim that the faster you drive, the better diesels are. I estimate 10 % of my driving at 44 MPH or lower, 10% at more than 65, and 80% between 45 and 65. Some one who uses freeways more than I do may indeed do better in a Diesel.

And yes I pressured Seftonm into using fuel per distance when he objected to me using the MPG graphs he presented. He could have converted round MPH to odd Kph, but no one would have been helped.

20. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see anybody asking for them, and even if they did ask for them, I don't have any numbers to give them.