1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New way to unlock Pruii when keys misplaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by raintree, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"102201)</div>
    I should point out that my fob sits maybe 8 feet from my car, on the baker's rack near my carport door, and the car shows no sign it's close enough to ever just walk out and open the locked door.

Usually, I have to walk right up to the car, no further than arm's reach, for the dome light to come on, so if somebody told you 30 feet is close enough, either they must have a plutonium battery in their fob or I have one lame fob...

2. AMARCUS

AMARCUS New Member

I had dealer make extra keyfob. Now I have three. Took spare and wrapped in two layers of aluminum foil. This prevents keyfob from transmitting. Also purchased spare keyfob battery. Stored both well hidden inside car. Had locksmith make copy of driver side door key. Hid this operating key on vehical exterior. This is an expensive safegard but the alternative could be disastrous.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually 30 feet would be close enough to remotely unlock the door. would that drain the battery?

4. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Wrapping in aluminum foil will prevent any battery drain/engagement? (both car and FOB)?

hmmm

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The fob responds when it hears the SKS transmitters calling for it. The outside transmitters only activate when the car is locked or being locked.
    When the fob hears a transmit request, it transmits using the same mechanism used for the remote door lock function, and the car uses the same receiver. The SKS transmitters only have a range of about 3-5 feet.
    You can see when the fob hears an SKS request when you see its LED light up.

6. AMARCUS

AMARCUS New Member

Wrapping the keyfob in aluminum foil blocks it's radio signals, thus the car can't detect it. If not detected it has no effect on the car's battery.

As to kefob battery life. Battery has a shelf life of a few years. However, I keep a spare in the glove box. Keyfob is not easy to replace but not impossible.

A spare keyfob will cost several hundred dollare. Cost of fob + dealer install. Cost if all keyfobs are lost is several thousand dollars.

Best regards,

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AMARCUS\";p=\"102456)</div>
    The presence or abscence of the key fob has no affect on the car's battery drain. The sks, when active (ie turned on and car locked) continuously sends out a signal (300hz is the default I believe). Thus there is a continuous drain on the car's battery.

The fob does not transmit any signal at all, unless you push one of the buttons and does not drain at all until you are within range of the car when the sks is active. At that point it can drain relatively quickly if left in range for an extended period of time without deactivating the sks on the car.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Evan, I hope you also include the fob transmitting when it gets an SKS request.

The aluminum would more likely prevent the fob from hearing the SKS transmission. OK, it prevents both.

If the car is unlocked, the SKS doesn't transmit, though its circuits probably still pull some drain, just as the auto-off of the headlights does.

If the car is locked, it will look for the fob periodically. I think I remember that it will stop looking after 14 days.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"102471)</div>
    Isn't that because the 12V battery will have died by then?... :mrgreen:

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I knew someone would say that! :lol:

11. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Thanks Efusco and DanMan for your relevant comments!

regards,

12. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An interesting phenomenon. Back away from your car until pushing the "ulock" function will definitely not work. Put the fob up against your forehead and now push the "unlock" function. You'll be amazed! Try it before you post a response. :?