1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New wheels hit brakes on 2013 Prius Five

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CampHamp, Dec 14, 2016.

1. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a steep driveway and live in New Hampshire. The standard, low-tread tires and the Prius traction control system (which stops vehicle after minimal slipping) make winter driving impossible for us.

So, I ordered some winter tires from a local, reputable tire chain store: 16x6 steel wheels (offset +41, 5x100 bolt pattern) and a set of 205/55R16 studded snow tires. I decided to put them on myself.*

The first tire I put on (front-left) bolted down fine, but touches the brake (caliper) and does not spin. The company took the tires back and gave a full refund.

My car is a 2013 Prius Five (lift-back).

I kindly request any suggestions on what I might do to improve the chances of getting snow tires to fit. I wonder if the trim FIVE has any special clearances over other trim levels or if I should suspect something else (like the wheel was faulty or my caliper is not in the correct position).

Also, I learned of a way to disable the traction control system. I haven't tried it yet. Is there a reason not to disable it just temporarily (just while driving up our long driveway)?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

*I opted out of using the TPMS sensors because they where an extra $200 to install and I would need to re-program the car at the dealership twice a year (more $$) when I swapped the tire sets. The tire company said I would need to put the tires on myself because there is a federal law against disabling these fancy pressure sensors and they fear prosecution if they install tires without the sensors. I can live with the pressure warning light.

#1 CampHamp, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It seems to me the stock 15" wheels have a 45 mm offset. If you have a Five I guess your stock wheels were 17" (I've never looked up the offset for those). Either way, 16" with offset 41 seems like an odd choice. Did the shop not have something closer?

-Chap

3. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This was the only steel wheel offset they have for that size wheel. I thought the offset is how far away the outside wheel rim is from the rotor face and did not indicate clearance from the brakes.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These rims work fine:

Corolla 15" black steel rims p/n: 42611-02471
    With lug nuts p/n: 90942-01007

(With 195/65R15 sized snow tires. Our Canadian Touring also has 215/45R17 OEM.)

When I bought them (new) in 2010, about a week after car purchase, the rims were $70 apiece, and the set of lug nuts $31 (Canadian funds). They have advantage too, that the hub opening is exact match, no need for adapter rings.

I would not disable traction control, btw. You're probably reading about Maintenance Mode, which is (as the name implies) for maintenance only. Not meant for use when driving, no real advantage, just a good way to toast the transaxle. I believe there's strong cautions in the Repair Manual (where the mode is described) against driving in Maintenance Mode.

You're problem is tire traction, disabling Traction Control is not going to help matters.

Out and about yesterday:

upload_2016-12-15_10-52-55.png
    (I'm using a 2" ABS end cap as a hub cap.)

#4 Mendel Leisk, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info on the parts, and the picture of a Prius plowing through the white stuff!

I'm giving it a try with an online tire store before I fork out for the OEM wheels. Its only $588 for 15" steel wheels with studded Altimax (includes mount/balance/shipping). I let them know what happened and he said these wheels will work well on a Prius. He's confident enough to pay the return shipping costs if there's any issue.

I'll update this thread with any progress (or other hurdles).

As far as disabling traction control, I agree that there is a risk of damage noted by the engineers to the transaxle if accelerating/decelerating too fast, especially while not under load. We'll start with good winter tires before even considering that! I do think that the TCS on the Prius is too extreme, because it cuts all drive power on the slightest spin and waits seconds before allowing a re-try. When moving up-hill in snow, momentum is crucial and a little spin is better than a complete cut-out on both tires...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That seems to be missing the actual behavior a bit. Toyota's literature shows the system is programmed to target a wheel speed that is slightly above the actual vehicle speed, that is, to build in a small amount of spin (just as the antilock brakes target a controlled amount of slippage, wheel speed slightly under actual vehicle speed, based on their tests of where maximum braking is really achieved).

[​IMG]

This post here has some video examples of Prii where the driver makes optimal use of the traction control (by providing a steady, moderate go pedal input, just as in the graph above). What I like about the snowy-driveway example is how close it comes to being an exact translation of the graph into video. :)

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm rather surprised reading that you mentioned there being a Federal Law, since my local dealer (I also live in NH) had no problems obtaining a set of Blizzaks and fitting them to a set of steel rims I'd purchased from TireRack.com, balancing them and installing them (without TPMS) and swapping the wheels back to the summer wheels (shod with Michelins, and with TPMS) back in the late spring. I'd done some research about TPMS here on PriusChat, and asked the dealer about it, and they said no problem, if you don't like the flashing NagLight (my term) you can always put some black tape over it! BTW I always check the tyre pressures every couple of weeks, and have never been caught out (well, yes I've had punctures (haven't we all?)) and in my 50+ years of driving I consider TPMS to be merely another expensive complication, invented by the manufacturers and supported by the Nanny-State government (…and dealers) as another $$ source! (…in my view TPMS is in the same category as self-dimming headlights, and auto-dimming rear-view-mirrors!) (…end of rant)

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Passenger airbag status light is more noticeable than TPMS light!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Town Faire Tire has the policy I mentioned. Perhaps just a way to up-sell some TPMS devices. The Fed law requires TPMS in a new cars equipped with the capability and says it's illegal to disable the system. Some states (or individual mechanics) interpret that as being a violation if they put on tires without the TPMS sensors, but I think it's more their Sales people than their Legal dept deciding that policy!

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I mentioned in other threads, my TPMS system is not disabled, in fact if I park the car in the garage where the summer wheels are stored (or even nearby) the system in the car detects the sensors, and the light goes out, however it comes on and flashes after about half an hour of driving, eventually staying on continuously. My car has its state inspection in June at which time the summer wheels (along with the TPMS sensors) are on the car. My last wheel swap was done (at the end of October) by the local Town Fair Tire (where I had purchased a set of summer tyres back in June, and which they had fitted, balanced, and offered lifetime swap for as long as I own the car) and they never queried the lack of TPMS on the winter steelies. My Prius is a 2009 Gen II and so is not exactly "new" but I understand what you're saying - perhaps TFT are giving me a break!

BTW Welcome to PriusChat, I'm in Nashua, so perhaps we're neighbours!

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it is illegal in the states, for a tire place to mount tires without TPMS, if the vehicle has the system. I wouldn't assume it's an upsell. It's probably a royal hassle for them, problematic.

If there's a tire seller willing to forgo TPMS, they're likely flying under the radar (don't need publicity). And worth their weight in gold.

Can you do an end run around the whole issue if you come in with loose rims? I'd guess no, and then again you can be gambling regarding fit. Isn't legislation great?

It's still ok to waive TPMS in Canada btw, for now.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TFT's recommendation of the Antares Ingens A1 as a replacement for the Michelin Energy Savers (worn out, noisy, and sidewalls developing fine cracks) was spot-on! The Antares are less than ½ the price of the Michelins, whisper quiet, and very smooth, and all-season not needed since I have Blizzaks which are amazing in the snow, so here's a shout out for Town Fair Tires (Nashua) to which I have no affiliation or connection, BTW…

13. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In my situation (with a steeper incline than in the video and probably more accelerator), it feels like the cars dies (i.e. there is no drive wheel for a moment before power resumes). Maybe an undocumented feature is that power is also suspended when both wheels slip?

14. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Even though this store didn't get my tire fitting right, they were certainly professional and responsive. I told the manager (who was apologetic and made sure that my return was painless) that I plan to be back when my CRV gets tires this summer.

15. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had read this article, which made me lean to my "up-sell" comment. I wonder if any shop has been successfully prosecuted for installing non-TPMS after-market tires.

If new TPMS sensors were cheaper and cars automatically adopted new sensors without dealer involvement, then I'd be all for a strict interpretation of this law. However, at this time, there is a high initial and on-going cost for someone who needs to swap summer/winter tires twice each year. In fact, it would become cost-prohibitive for many to enjoy the added safety of winter tires.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly right. Your last sentence is especially ironic.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure the depth of the temporary cutback is affected by how high the slipping wheel speed got. If the tire patch has enough traction on the surface to hold at 100 pounds of thrust and the right foot on the pedal is asking for 115, there will be a small slip and a small correction from the computer. If there's enough traction for 100 pounds and the right foot is asking for 700, the wheel speed is already high by the time the computer reacts, and the reaction is big. So a careful touch pays off.

There can always be circumstances that reach the limits. If the tire-to-surface traction drops to 100 pounds and the driveway is steep enough that 2 ✕ 100 pounds won't pull the car up, prospects are not good without better tires, traction aids on the tires, or improving the surface. You started this thread with the idea of better tires, and that's the real solution. With adequate tires, you can let the traction control work with you, instead of suspecting it of working against you.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @ChapmanF : My brain is full, but that sounds good! Especially the last sentence.

(Again, I'm thinking with the third gen: disabling traction control via Maintenance Mode, for driving in the snow, is foolhardy. There are strong cautions against doing this in the Repair Manual, especially hard/sudden acceleration needed when you're stuck.)

#18 Mendel Leisk, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  19. CampHamp

CampHamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IMG_3708.JPG IMG_3709.JPG
    I got my tires and they fit this time! I went with 15" rims and 185/65R15 studded winter tires from on on-line store. I decided to get 21mm Hex lug nuts so I could use the standard car wrench if I get a flat (and they were cheaper on EBay).

Total DIY spend: $633.26 Everything was free shipping, except the torque wrench, which I picked it up at store. Below is the detail (in case someone is looking for a workable solution):

Tires & Wheels & Studs $588
    from discounttiredirect.com

I worked with (and recommend):
    Christopher Reed
    1800-589-6789 EXT.51827
    [email protected]

Product Cnd Extended Ship
    Code Cde Qty Size Description Price FET Price DC
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    26125 1 4 185 /65 R15 88Q SL BSW 70.00 .00 280.00 WDOH01
    GEN ALTIMAX ARTIC STUDDABLE
    Vehicle: 2013 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID 17"BASE

90303 1 4 DIL TR413 SNAP IN VALVES RUBBER 3.00 .00 12.00 WDOH01

72514 1 4 15 X6 5-100.00/115.00 41 BKMTXX 59.00 .00 236.00 WDOH01
    UNQ 83 72.00

80086 1 4 13''- 15'' STUDDING 15.00 .00 60.00 WDOH01
    LABOR

Lug Nuts $13.33 (21mm Hex - same as Prius wrench - no "key" nut)
    20 PC Steel Closed End Acorn Wheel Lug Nuts M12x1.5 21 mm Hex Chrome | eBay

Torque Wrench $11.99
    Savings Coupons at Harbor Freight Tools

Wheel Covers $15.25 (this was NIB, but described as "Used - Like New")

Toyota Emblem $4.69 (not here yet)

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any reason for not going with stock, 195/65R15? Please god, don't say it was due to a typo in one of my posts, lol.