1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New whining sound coming from front left.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by av8erdunn, Apr 18, 2015.

1. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    while braking I have started to have a whining sound come from my front left of the car. It doesn't happen all the time from what I can tell but my wife drives it daily. I know what a brake squeel sounds like and this isn't it. It will only do it when the speed of the car gets to below 30mph and and seems to get louder the slower the car gets. I think it stops around 6 mph and I'm guessing that's when the regen braking stops and the pads kick in but I could be wrong. I'm going to drive it some today to see if I can get a better idea of exactly when it does it but in the meantime anyone have any ideas? Mpg hasn't changed and she still runs good as well.

After researching I think I need Tom now my MG1 and MG2 temps using my scan gauge. I'm trying to get the xgauge codes to work but I'm not having any luck. I will keep playing with it to see if I can get it to work.

Tom now???? Should be to know. Dang auto correct.

After reading it looks like I was trying to use a gen 3 code for my gen 2 so that's why its not working. I can't seem to find gen 2 codes for inverter temp. Anyone know where to get them?

2. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alright I found some codes that gave me the info I was looking for. It looks like MG1 was averaging aroun 118f and MG2 was averaging around 87-92.
    Is this a normal temp spread for a healthy transaxle?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    inverter whine?

6. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why would the inverter only be whining when applying the brakes? Would it be doing it consistently ?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The electric motors act as generators (and whine) only when you step on the brake. Well not exactly: you'll get a slight amount of generation if you just take your foot off the gas. But as soon as you touch the brakes it signals the car you seriously want to slow, and it greatly ramps up slowing via generator drag.

But if this is a new sound, I'm not so sure. Generator whine was there from day 1.

8. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been trying to get it to do it today but haven't succeded. It did it pretty bad last night twice and since hasn't done it. I am keeping my scan gauge hooked up so if it starts I can see what my temps are doing. Why would the inverter be intermittent with the problem?

#8 av8erdunn, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What if you switch to N around 25 mph? Do you still have the whine? I would think that would take you out of regenerative braking mode into solely mechanical braking mode. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that!)

10. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what I've been waiting to try. Been riding around with my hand on the shifter to switch to neutral when I hear it but haven't had any luck. That should let me know if it's hydbrid system or brake system noise. Dang I hate intermittent problems.

11. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also as for generator whine being there from day one. This more of a loud whine and not normal when it happens. It's loud enough that people in other cars was looking at us.

#11 av8erdunn, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that is loud. no ideas, sorry. i think you're on the right track with scan gauge and neutral.