1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New wipers smearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tech Tips, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I just bought new Bosch Icon wipers about 2 weeks ago, and now they are streaking like mad in the rain:( Does anyone here have and thoughts about how that would be happening?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your windshield needs cleaning? I like this stuff:

upload_2018-2-1_11-8-18.png

Kleen-Flo | Products - Glass Kleen

Available locally for me, at Princess Auto.

After doing the windshield I'll wipe the blades themselves too, with the cloth still damp with the stuff. Can be used on the inside too. I'll usually spray one of those interior glass paddles with a dollup of the stuff, rather than directly on the interior windshield. It's supposed to wipe clean off the dash if you overspray, but I prefer to avoid that issue.

Tech Tips likes this.
  3. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks! I’ll check that out:)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did they work well when you installed them?

Maybe they just are bad?

I try to avoid Bosch wipers.
    I know many people who have had problems with them. When I have had them (got them for free or had no other choice) they did not last long. I have seen them leave a streak right out of the box. Other time Bosch rear wiper for some other car rear wiper (special one for only that model) did only clean at the edge of the blade. After returning it we got another one of the same (no other brand available) and it had exactly the same problem. Sometimes I have seen them working the other way around and only cleaning the center of blade.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See there's a Princess Auto in Langford, north west outskirts of Victoria. I'm not sure other places would carry it, Canadian Tire for example.

Tech Tips likes this.
  6. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I first got them they worked like a dream, the windshield was always streak free and clean.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When is the last time you really cleaned the windshield, not with Bon Ami, Windex etc, buy claybared the glass, treated it with a good Super Hydrophobic coating? I do my windows twice a year, first using an aggressive soap like Dawn to remove any wax or other old coating, Then hit it using a fresh claybar and glass cleaner as the lubricant. You will be surprised at the amount of crud the claybar will pick up. Then I use Chemical Guys "Jet Seal", or you could use RainX. I prefer Jet Seal however.
    While you are at it, do all your windows, and the lenses on the headlights. You will be surprised what you can see clearly, and when it rains it will sheet off! When you do switch the wipers on, they will perform much better!
    Mine sure do!!