1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New World Record! 112 mpg 1,456 miles/tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ken1784, Aug 16, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, no, she's probably "staying out of the battery", as the
    the hypermilers phrase it, and DWB [look it up at www.cleanmpg.com].
    I'd be interested in a translation of that whole xrea.com thread,
    none of which the usual translators appear able to handle, to see
    what major things she pays attention to while driving. Everyone
    learned about P&G from the Pittsburgh marathon, now maybe all that
    can be taken to the next level.
    _H*

2. klaux

klaux New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 17 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]304915[/snapback]</div>
    She says in her last post (posted 8/17 Japan time) that she intends to post more details soon.

Interesting that she wasn't even trying to set any mileage records in particular....

Ken

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 17 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]304756[/snapback]</div>
    That probably meant she always glided and never recharged by pressing the brake pedal.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 18 2006, 02:57 AM) [snapback]304756[/snapback]</div>
    Good point, I think.

I rarely see the regen icons everytime when I see hyper-miler's screens.
    I believe it shows their environment were very good, such as no steep hills, less stops, no hard braking required and so on.

Ken@Japan

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the sermon I've been preaching for a long time.
    When you must brake regen is better than no regen.
    But not braking and not regenerating is better yet.

6. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 18 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]305269[/snapback]</div>

I'd really like to know if the car-leaf icons represent all energy poured into the battery or only kinetic energy poured into the battery while braking or coasting (with the engine off). If these 50 Wh icons represent all energy poured into the battery (including from the engine, when the engine is operating under a light load), then it seems that she minimizes arrows going to (and from) the battery.

Was she dead-banding (pulsing the engine with little to no energy flowing to or from the battery) or was she using Dr. Fusco's more traffic friendly prescription of mildly charging the battery during pulses and drawing a little energy from the battery while 'gliding'?

7. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Aug 18 2006, 05:14 AM) [snapback]305218[/snapback]</div>
    It also seems to demonstrate that she is not actively using the hybrid system, except to easily restart the car. For extreme hypermiling under such kind conditions, it seems that one might do better without the weight of a full hybrid system.

If Toyota made a 'Prius' with no hybrid system but with the Atkinson engine, the low resistance design, and a manual transmission, I wonder what hypermilers could achieve. They might have to manually turn off the engine at the end of a pulse and may choose to bump start the engine at the end of a glide by engaging the clutch (just like the original pulse and glide before the Prius). I suspect real world mileage would suffer with traffic and braking. I also suspect that record braking hypermiling performance under ideal conditions would improve.

8. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 18 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]305423[/snapback]</div>
    The leaf icons are only from regenerated power not energy supplied by the engine from MG1.

50wH is enough to propel the card about 1/4 mile, although the efficiency from mechanical -> electrical -> chemical -> electrical -> mechanical is much less than 50% so it is best to try to avoid it altogether.

kevin

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 18 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]305433[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, the ICE-off time would be a problem in your Atkinson-only vehicle...one would need a way around that. I suppose some sort of manual transmission could be designed that would allow the car to accelerate at a fair rate of speed (0-60 in 20 seconds?), and obviously some of the weight issues of the HSD system would be eliminated. But so what....who on earth would want such an underpowered, under torqued slug of a car....they just won't sell.

10. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 18 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]305458[/snapback]</div>
    So true.

I often laugh when people say that a Prius has to be driven differently to get good gas mileage. In my mind the benefit of the hybrid system is that it enables the driver to get good mileage while driving normally. The hypermiling techniques bring the biggest payoff in conventional vehicles in which 0% of braking energy is captured, more aggressive pulse and gliding is more necessary to keep the engine operating at efficient loads, and more fuel is being used and could potentially be conserved. Using hypermiling techniques to decrease fuel consumption from 20mpg to 40mpg would save more than twice as much fuel as would using hypermiling techniques to go from 50mpg to 100mpg.

I find pushing the fuel performance envelope in any car is fun, educational, and inspiring.

11. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 19 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]305433[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, she is using the HSD system.
    Please note that the MG1/MG2 combination works as a kind of an electric torque converter.
    The blue part of following chart shows this...
    [​IMG]
    The eCVT works better, I believe.
    A driver push throttle telling "I need this much of power" -> ICE runs to meet the required power(torque and rpm) -> MG1/MG2 works together as a torque convertor to meet the vehicle speed.

Maybe, a very good belt driven or toroidal CVT can overtake the eCVT of HSD, but I don't believe a manual transmission can't beat the eCVT.
    http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/vi/w4_works.../Miller_W04.pdf
    Please refer to above presentation, especially page 49 - 62.

Ken@Japan

12. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Aug 18 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]305477[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you TWICE, Ken, :) for the references to the new record and to that excellent presentation with a wealth of information, including Atkinson engine maps :D . I hadn't imagined that the PSD serving as an eCVT could be more efficient than a good manual transmission. I remembered Kevin17 stating elsewhere in a thread on series hybrids that the mechanical -> electrical -> mechanical losses were large (%20) compared to fixed ratio gears (%5).

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 18 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]305423[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it's from regeneration only and doesn't include the engine charging the battery.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 18 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]305433[/snapback]</div>
    The Atkinson cycle for a heat engine is more efficient but sacrifices power for that. This is why the Mazda Millenia had a supercharged engine running on the Atkinson cycle (Miller Cycle) on the 2.3 litre V6. In the HSD system, instead of a supercharger, the battery and electric motor supplement the loss of power from the engine.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Non-hybrid hypermiling is happening all the time. Go read it
    straight from the people DOING it every day, over at
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/ and you are most heartily
    encouraged to sign up and join the fray. Much good info.
    My own bit of "non-hybrid" experimenting can be read in detail at
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302
    Green car icons are ONLY from regen. For those who haven't read
    it N times before, it's about the amount of energy you would expend
    by PUSHING the non-powered car around a parking lot vigorously for
    about 12-15 minutes while someone else steered. If you could keep
    that up for an hour [4 green cars?] you might be able to get a mile.
    _H*

15. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 19 2006, 04:24 AM) [snapback]305505[/snapback]</div>
    You describe the Atkinson cycle engine + manual transmission is so superior, why has it never been marketed yet?
    HSD engine always runs at ideal torque and rpm combination, but a manual transmission sometimes has to run at poor efficient range.

[​IMG]

A manual transmission is not almighty.
    Honda automatic on 2006 Civic beats the manual transmission at EPA highway mileage.

Ken@Japan

16. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update...
    Deatil was posted at CleanMPG site...
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793

Her technique was using pure Pulse and Glide w/ a 50 km/h (31 mph) high to 30 km/h (18.6 mph) low or 55 (34 mph) high speed - 35 km/h (21 mph) low speed with a maximum 20 km/h (12 mph) range.

Ken@Japan

17. Autosmiler

Autosmiler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Aug 19 2006, 03:37 AM) [snapback]305791[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Thanks for the update! If only my commute were that clean, clear, and under control...

18. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Aug 16 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]304415[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't this lead to inaccuracies in the mileage? For every revolution of the wheels, the car will have travelled less than it thinks it has, which would lead to inflated MPG calculations. Or am I missing something?

19. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JasonQG @ Aug 20 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]306359[/snapback]</div>
    The rolling circumference of the 185/65-15 and the 195/55-16 tires are nearly identical. The tiresize hasn't thrown anything off. Of course using fully worn tires as opposed to new tires can make a 2% difference in the measured distance traveled. Worn tires will increase true fuel efficiency due to lower rolling resistance and then increase measured fuel efficiency a bit more due to the smaller rolling circumference.

20. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 16 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]304307[/snapback]</div>

a high of 38.1 here!!!!