1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New World Record Challenge: over 50km/L(117mpg) tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ken1784, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found his major challenge road.
    It is not a main road, but it is sub road like Honda Insight Marathon run as follows where very few cars are running;
    The Insight Marathon 2006 -- World Record 2,254.4 miles on one tank of fuel - CleanMPG Forums

• max pulse speed is 45km/h (28mph)
    • glide as long as possible
    • if he knew the stop sign, he did neutral glide for 1600 feet from 30km/h (19mph) speed to the stop sign
    Ken@Japan

Photo from the Honda Insight Marathon run
    [​IMG]

dave77 likes this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the route info and this brings up another side question I had: I remember seeing lists of top MPG logs from users in one of the web sites (cleanMPG maybe?) and there were lots of Insights with very high MPG numbers (more than 100 IIRC) and only a few Prius with relatively lower MPG numbers. Is Insight inherantly better than Prius in fuel economy?

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, Insight I is clearly ahead of Prius. But that is a 2-seater against a 5-seat mid-size hatchback.

1 person likes this.
  4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It also was a very light all aluminum bodied car with a 1.0L 3 cylinder engine. The hypermilers always use the 5 speed since the CVT was hard to glide and it could do lean burn at higher speeds.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  5. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a standard Prius with 45L tank that he pumped to the brim? I hear that it's easily done by raising the left rear wheel 3 inches :D but I find it hard to believe 15 additional litres can go in !

How did he calculate the 'fuel refill' ?

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was not a calculated value. It was actual fuel refill value.

Ken@Japan

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Ken is saying is that 60 litres is what he put into the car (until fuel is showing at the brim) and yeah apparently 15 litres do fit in somehow (never tested it myself).. not sure where since I thought the filler pipe only holds a few litres.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This almost makes me want to take of my 17" tires and put the 15s back on. Unfortunately my commute has a huge hill that kills my mpg such that I can never break 56mpg. The 65mph freeway speeds over 50 miles don't help either. With the 17s I can only acheive 46mpg-47mpg.

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find stories like thisentertaining, which is to say not really meaningful.

That the record was achieved at ~ 18 MPH is not surprising, it is a necessity,
    given the Prius Gen II's MPG vs. MPH relationship. Two examples:

[​IMG]

This one from Bob Wilson. Its the red line:

[​IMG]

I keep wondering, to avoid start-up inefficiencies, was the record run one continuous
    1800+ mile drive? That would be ~100 hours, 4+ unbroken, unrelieved days behind the
    wheel at the very limits of our understanding/application of the Prius' operating algorithms.

If so, that is something truly amazing.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rokeby, are the mph numbers based on an average mph or what was observed with instantaneous mph over a short period?

For example, I am pretty confident that if I mainted a speed of 60mph on a flat high that I could acheive between 58mpg and 60mpg. That jives with the first chart your posted. A Geniii should do even better. My average speed for the trip would obviously be lower so then if we use my average speed the first chart doesn't work but Bob's chart does.

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know. I have the first graph on my computer, but I can't find it
    on the web. I probably "grabbed" it from a document, but I failed to
    note where it came from.

It pretty much reflects my experiences with my Gen II. I have used it
    to formulate strategies to max my MPGs. For example: Driving local
    streets, get up to 20 MPH asap. Even though PSL is 25, traffic allowing
    stay around 20.

This graph also shows that in a Gen II 60 MPG at 60MPH is achievable.
    What the graph does not show, or even suggest, is that MPG is also a
    function of air temps. My understanding is that 60 MPG at 60 MPH at 60
    degF is achievable.

I do not know exactly how MPG varies with temps. However, from my
    experience I do know that for my specific ~28 mi round trip daily
    commuter route with temps below 60 degF, a very good target MPG is:

VGM (Very Good MPH) = Air Temp + 1/2(60 - Air Temp)

The formula only sort of works above 60 degF.

CAUTION: I now suspect the Bob Wilson graph is for the Gen I; it shows
    only about 48 MPG at 60 MPH. I'd edit/delete it but it's now part of the
    conversation.

Here is another MPG vs. MPH graph pretty-much like the first.
    It is from CleanMPG. Lots of discussion in the thread, a must read.

[​IMG]

NortTexSalv04Prius, babybird and F8L like this.
  12. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wowsers! :eek::love:
    He must be FAS/NICE 80% of the time... :rolleyes:

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is an excellent result, well done. However, I'd like to add some details that might not be obvious in some of these charts:

[​IMG]
    DISCLAIMER: Please feel free to make local copies of this chart while I'm on 'this side of the grass.' You have my permission to use it. Please realize the drag formula came from a Toyota sales document shared by Ken@Japan and the vehicle electrical overhead from my measurements using a Graham miniscanner. The set of black-dots came from the first Prius marathon drive, an NHW20 model.

Some other things to share:
    • 10 miles (16 km) - is my standard benchmark distance because the Prius normally has engine ON/OFF cycles and this distance is long enough to minimize variations from Prius cycling impacting the results. Shorter distances, 2.5 (4 km) can be used if the start and stop correspond to the same point of the Prius ON/OFF cycle.
    • heat is critical - the "hack" is an engine coolant spoof that causes the engine to show at least 70C as long as the actual coolant temperature is 40C and above. Below 40C, the engine is subject to stalling.
    • engine warm-up to 70C takes ~300-360 seconds - this is the time it takes for that mass of metal to get warm enough to enable full hybrid mode. The NHW20 improved the warm-up cycle with better control laws and the North American thermos. The ZVW30 threw the game with the exhaust heat recovery system.
    • transaxle warm-up to ~60C takes ~20-30 minutes - transaxle temperature controls lubricant viscosity and there is about a 3-4x reduction as it reaches operational temperature. This was improved with the "Prius c" that optimizes heat transfer via the transaxle oil. It is part of rolling resistance
    • tire rolling resistance - maximum pressure which is even higher than max sidewall and perfect, four wheel alignment. Thinnest possible tread (aka., worn tires) reduces tire rubber flex.
    • minimize aerodynamic drag - blocking the air inlets results in measurable, lower drag, as the engine compartment is in effect a parachute at the front.
    • reduce weight - wheel/tire rolling drag is a function of vehicle and payload weight.
    • optimum temperature ~80-85F (27-30C) - experimental data suggests temperatures above 90F (32C) see a reduction in vehicle efficiency. It may be due to increased engine and battery cooling fan losses. There is a knee in efficiency loss around 55F (13C) as the heat losses lead to higher drag.
    At one time, I researched how I would approach a marathon drive. But the only way that made sense for me was to have a robot driver, a "Johnny Cab," driving on a closed course:
    [​IMG]
    Source: "Total Recall" TriStar Pictures (Sony) 1991

There is a human part of marathon driving, the 50+ hour, seat time following a narrow set of rules on an optimized course. Using a "Johnny Cab" or super sophisticated cruise-control eliminates the human part but then I've always been fascinated by the vehicle engineering and my heros look like this guy:
    [​IMG]
    The chief Toyota engineer on the ZVW30 project.

Bob Wilson

dave77 likes this.
  14. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ahhh, cant get GT3 (in the right sizes) here in au, but can get Ecopia EP100 (not s)

15. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II