1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NewB General Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SimiPrius, May 11, 2010.

1. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I just purchased a 2005 with 75K miles and have a few questions. Had it checked by a dealer and its in good shape, just needs a few minor repairs.

Oil - I have always used Mobil 1 in my cars. Any issues that anyone has expericenced with synthetic oils?

Timing Belt - I've reviewed the maintenance schedules but don't see anything about timing belt replacements. Is there a recommended mileage. I am assuming that at some point it should be replaced.

Smart Key - I only got one with the car. Called the dealer and they want about $350 for a programmed replacement. Is this my only option? I have seen keys on ebay, but they are programmed and I have heard that it is difficult/impossible to reprogram - and most dealers want to sell the key. Any options?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mobil 1 is ok to use as long as it is 5W 30. The fob is not programmed, the car is programmed to accept a NEW fob. The programming must be done at a dealer. I suggest you call around to various dealers for the price of a new fob and the programming. An eBay used fob can only be programmed as a dumb fob (i.e., it has to be inserted into the slot to start the car and none of the buttons on the fob will work).

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agree on the Mobil 1. I've used it since my first oil change (I'm now at 70K miles), and many others around here use it.

There is no timing belt. The car has a timing chain.

5. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    OK..thanks everyone for the quick responses....So I called the dealer for an appointment to clear up the few items to be fixed and he asked me if they valves were adjusted at 60K...said this was critical...and about $400, including replacing the gaskets, etc. I never saw anything in the book about valve adjustments....does this make sense?

Thanks again,
    Dave

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The valves are supposed to be inspected at 60K miles, which means listening to see if there is unusual noise, caused by excessive valve clearance.

If there isn't unusual valve noise, then don't worry about it. Use the $400 to buy a new second fob and have the car programmed to recognize the new fob.

Beyond following the maintenance schedule for 60K miles, I suggest that you have the transaxle ATF changed now. It needs 4 quarts of Toyota ATF WS and this is a simple drain and refill process.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Look for Galaxee's sticky thread about what services you need & what you don't.

I am surprised that so many people buy used cars with only one key. I'd walk out on the deal.

8. roderunner

roderunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or have the dealer supply a second fob as part of the sales price.

9. jrgarrett

jrgarrett New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The same think happened to me with the car having only one key fob. I had the dealer knock off $200 thinking this would cover the cost. After being quoted $365 from my local dealer for a new one I ended up buying a new fob on ebay and my local Toyota dealer charged $85 to program it. Ended up losing $20 on the deal.

10. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the club, Simi! :D I purchased an 05 with similar mileage a few months back and have enjoyed it immensely. I'm taking it in on Tuesday for it's first round of PM love - transaxle and inverter and brake fluid changes, synthetic oil change, and the recall work (maybe). I'd be curious what you are quoted for prices.

And to everyone - will a dealer set your tire psi higher if you ask for it, or will I have to drive it off the lot and then adjust up.

11. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    It turns out that I needed a seal replaced on the wheel, about $200, and the fan belt replaced, about $125. The dealer also made a smart key for me and gave me a bit of a break...about $250. Other than that, I did an oil change and a full detail this past weekend. I really enjoy driving this car....