1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb, How to tell what OEM Head Unit and where's the Amp?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by You-got-passed, Feb 27, 2019.

1. You-got-passed

You-got-passed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey everyone,

Just bought a '12 Prius Three with Solar Roof and NAV and 6 speakers. I'm working on upgrading the sound system but don't know what's in it to begin with. There is not any amp under the passenger seat. I don't see any JBL logo's anywhere. However, I've turned the Treble, Mid and Bass up and have to say it sounds pretty damn good for factory. Especially when the volume is at 30 or higher. I don't get any distortion which leads me to believe there must be an amp. Somewhere?

Any specific help would be amazing. (y)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Naturally there's an amp. You'd be surprised what can fit inside a headunit nowadays.

The JBL systems are the ones where the amp is a separate box, located under the seat.

3. You-got-passed

You-got-passed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks ChapmanF

Did a bit more research and realized there's an ID # 57032 on the face of my HU. This is definitely not "JBL". As I initially mentioned the sound maintains it's integrity without distortion at max volume, all the way up to 60.

So it must have a built-in Amp as you mentioned in the HU. I think for now, I will add a Powered Sub-Woofer and see how that improves the quality and range of sound.

Does anyone have any comments on the Bazooka Powered Tubes? I'm looking at the 8" 100W unit (BTA 8100FHC).