1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb Looking at 2005 with 194k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vol96, Apr 14, 2012.

1. vol96

vol96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Test drove it yesterday. Red car with exclamation point always on, battery cooling fan always on, ICE always on except on decel. Leather is in good shape, nav seems to work OK, radio OK. Maybe some lifter noise from ICE. Slight thud when brake pedal lifted, feels similar to drivetrain slack in a RWD.

As I said I'm a newbie, but I have been researching Prii.

I'm interested in this high mileage Prius because 1) lowest asking price I've seen ($7000), 2) I like to work on cars and, tho I have no experience with hy's I'm not affraid of replacing the HV battery if necessary 3) more HV replacement options available, 4) economy, assuming I dont buy a money pit.

Any comments on the issues noted above?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That doesn't sound healthy to me. Could be a failed HV battery, esp with 194k miles. The cooling fan on the HV battery is often on but usually at lower speeds after the car has been worked hard. If it's on full almost straight away then it doesn't sound promising. Also, the engine will run continuously for the first few minutes until the car has warmed up and then it will cut. If it's just always on then that again sounds like a failed HV battery.

It depends how much of a challenge you want and your experience with High Voltage batteries. If you don't have a clue then you really don't want to be messing around with a 200+ volt DC battery. IT COULD KILL YOU!

It is possible to change individual cells and such like but it does involve balancing them and all sorts of stuff like that - which if you're after a project, noting the warning above, might make it viable.

Personally I'd give no more than $700 for a car in the condition you describe. But each to their own.

Good luck.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the high odometer reading isn't a big deal. The master warning light and associated issues definitely is. Unless you learn what error codes are stored, you are going in blind on this Prius

At 7 large, walk away from this one, better yet RUN!

4. vol96

vol96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the replies. You guys know your stuff. I just registered at my toyota and got the service history:

03/26/2012MIL DIAGNOSTICMIL DIAGNOSTIC ~|~THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON ALL THE LIGHTS ARE ON ~|~CODES P0A80 AND P3013 -- REPLACE HYBRID BATTERY PACK-- BATTEYR BLOCK 3 BECOMES WEAK ~|~NO REPAIRS MADE AT THIS TIME

Some good news it that apparently this was a 1 owner until the battery pack died, as the service history (all 4 pages of it) was all done at the same dealer.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will second that motion 7K is too much for this car, at the very least you are facing a traction battery. Look elsewhere unless you have money to burn.

Don't get me wrong, you can fix the car and probably get another 100K or so out of it. The question is: "How much will it cost to get her back into normal operation again".

Salvage traction batteries are under a grand I hear, reinvolt supposed to be around 2K and new one from Toyota 3.5K and up. There are other expensive items on the Prius too...

The P0A80 is definitely a traction battery failure code. Searching Prius Chat reveals that it is saying one or more cells has a unacceptable voltage difference. I have read elsewhere that a repair can be made rather than replacement of the battery, but it does involve knowing what you are doing and being able to diagnose each cell in the battery, along with replacing the bad cells and further balancing the cells whereas the battery will charge and discharge properly. BEWARE, this is a HIGH VOLTAGE battery. If you don't know what you are doing, you can kill yourself working with it.

My best advice is to look elsewhere at this time. Good luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat.

6. vol96

vol96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The next best deal locally is a 2006 38k miles $16k, or 2009 33k miles, $18.5K. Seems like big premiums these days. So I am still looking.

7. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Vol96--

Depending on where you are in Michigan, I recommend giving Steve Woodruff a look. He's in Indiana and specializes in rebulding Priuses (Prii?). I bought mine there a couple months ago and it's run like a dream. He warranties his work for a year, as well.

Here's his page, it changes from time to time: Rebuildable Prius 04 up

1 person likes this.
  8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW those are high prices.

Talk here in the UK is that the second hand values of Prii have collapsed because of the recall nonsense that happened in 2010.

It is said that my 2009 gen3 with 65k miles and full Toyota service history is only worth £7,300 (US$11,700) ! and that figure includes 20% sales tax.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1 on Steve @ Autobeyours. He is awesome. My car drives like new despite over 100,000 miles. The 12 month/12,000 mile warranty seals the deal. The only problem is if it breaks, he fixes it (meaning you have to bring it to him). Michigan to Scottsburg is a haul, especially if you're towing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Constance83

Constance83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    [​IMG]the high odometer reading isn't a big deal.

11. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    get one from out of state then. They are everywhere here in California, plus the body will never have seen road salt.