1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb Prius Car buyer looking for opinions. :]

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Morisato, Dec 27, 2012.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's not too late, pay a different Toyota shop to thoroughly check it out before you buy it. That should cost about $100 and is very well worth it because it can find potential problems that the seller may have, uh, forgotten to mention. (*Don't* buy any service agreement or extended warranty; as others wrote they are a total waste of your money.)

2. Morisato

Morisato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately... it is too late for that :\ Although I did test drive it for a while, and we did inspect all of the lights, engine, gauges, etc. The car dealership is also paying for the inspection (since i live in a different state) at anywhere I choose. Has a clean car fax, and title. Very highly recommended dealer from people I know, as well as from reading reviews from others....

I can only hope o_O

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet! Enjoy!

Morisato likes this.
  4. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This NAC bs is, well, BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save the $1610.45 a year and in 2 years, you will have enough money to cover any 1 MAJOR problem! Battery, tranny, and engine.

You can get a refurbished battery pack with an 18month warranty and you and a buddy install it for the tune of $1700ish, The tranny will run you close to $33-3400 if I am correct, maybe a bit more installed at a mechanic.

Only engine failure I have heard of are idiots running 10k + miles without checking the oil.

Depending on how much you drive, and how you drive, Depending on your car payment amount, you could very possibly make your payments off the gas you save over owning the intrepid alone! The interpid I owned was a POS, and If I recall correctly, on a good week, I could get roughly 24mpg, but mostly I got around 21mpg. With my 2002 prius, which doesn't get the type of MPG as yours, I am still doubling my MPG over my intrepid.

Enjoy and welcome to prius chat!

5. Morisato

Morisato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OOO I already am. I... I think I'm in love :love:

Thanks alot NinnJinn! :D And yes, I couldn't stand my intrepid. Used up so much gas in the city, where I live. :\ AND the A/C started to smell really bad. Took it to 5 mechanics, over the course of a year. No one could do anything about it. Did some research, and it seems to be a problem alot of people have with the '07 Intrepid. Was gonna cost more than the value of the car, which is insane, to fix. Now... I'm an extremely happy Prius owner! :)

6. Morisato

Morisato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so... anyone know if there is a way to make a copy of the electronic keys? According to the manual, the key should have had a tiny metal plate, with a code on it (didn't come with), and I'd like a second pair of keys :p

Also, does anyone know if the 2004 models have touch keyless entry? Not that it really matters. But the manual doesn't say my car doesn't have it. I'm guessing it might just be my key acting up? Dying battery maybe?

7. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    `
    If you are talking about walking up to the car and it unlocking when you grab the handle without having to pull out your fob, its easy.
    If your outside car door handle has a small black rubber square close to the key hole, then you have it.

[​IMG]

Morisato likes this.
  8. Morisato

Morisato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome thanks, mine doesn't have it. But i'm fine with that. :D