1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb to Newbs! Besides MPG, what attracted you?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by KingToph, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live in a suburb of Chicago. Yesterday at a Shell station near me gasoline was $3.64. This morning at the same Shell station it is $4.00. Why did I buy a Prius? I rest my case.

KingToph, Centis and jdk2 like this.
  2. Centis

Centis New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can see where that would be a turn-off for some people. Honestly, I haven't had a flat in probably 15 years. Not that a flat tire doesn't happen, or wouldn't happen at an inopportune time, but the lack of a spare didn't raise any concerns with us.

I believe the spare is the first thing jettisoned on many EVs in order to make room for the battery.

KingToph likes this.
  3. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally figured out how to search old threads on here under the ( Search Forums) tab. That is what I was trying before, but just recently, it allowed me to search. Before it was kicking me off the site. Maybe it was my ipad it didn't like in the beginning ???

KingToph likes this.
  4. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A spare tire is VERY important to people living in rural areas, where your next neighbor is literally miles away, and it might be HOURS before someone comes along. And, not everybody carries a "digital leash," i.e.: cell phone!

In fact, when we bought our 2011 Cruze, the dealership "threw-in" a spare tire because it was NOT standard, when we told the salesperson that, without it, we weren't interested in the car.

KingToph likes this.
  5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Miles per gallon and that is it for me.

KingToph likes this.
  6. SudeepHArya

SudeepHArya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Besides the fuel mileage, I would have to say the fact it's a chick magnet ;)

I too am a Ditto head and love the PIP

KingToph likes this.
  7. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, I used to think the Prius was just about the ugliest thing on the road, but then I've never really cared for the look of hatchbacks in general. I prefer coupes and sedans with trunks, but still, cars are mostly a utilitarian thing for me, so it wasn't a serious aversion I had to overcome. I mean, my first car was a Chevette, and I was pretty fond of it, but no, not a lover of the hatchback look in general.

I am a big Toyota fan and have had several different models and loved them all. My previous car was a 2010 Corolla, but it was a very basic car with stick shift and do-it-yourself locks and windows, and that's exactly what I wanted, the simplicity because for me it was about getting from Point A to Point B. It was perfect. It had one big feature that I think really prepped me for a Prius, though. It had the live reading of my MPG. I watched that thing like a hawk and started hypermiling (Lite™ because I'm not hardcore enough to not run the a/c or to take corners at insane MPH to maintain momentum) before I even knew what that was. It completely changed my driving style, and I consistently maintained a 40 MPG average in that car. I loved it to the moon and back and planned to keep it forever. However, life and stuff and things happened, and I now spend much more time in my car which has become much more like a mobile office. I'm no longer Point A to Point B, so I really wanted the convenience of push button windowing and door opening and all that instead of fiddling with keys and locks and having to reach behind seats to unlock doors and all that when my hands are usually full these days. My life and needs have changed a lot since I first bought my beloved Corolla.

So there was my Toyota loyalty and the appeal of high mileage already. It helped that the Prius is more roomy inside than it might appear from the outside. Like a LOT bigger than I expected. My friend who hates cars in general and prefers the up-high ride of the-bigger-the-better pickup trucks said this is the first modern car she's sat in that she doesn't absolutely hate. That whole generator on wheels thing was a big appeal as well. My husband and I are planning a three week cross country trip next year and plan to do a lot of car camping, and being able to maintain climate control was a really big appeal as was the more-than-we-expected space.

Add to that, people in my life including my sister have Prii, and everyone I know who has one loves loves loves theirs. Like people who aren't major car freaks and who view cars as a utilitarian thing as well, but they love their Prii dearly. My sister is really hard on hers. I mean, she is brutal to that thing, not a gentle driver at all. It's either an '06 or an '08, I forget, but despite the way she beats it up, it has never given her a minute of trouble and is still solid and efficient. I drive very sensibly, especially after becoming so fond of the live MPG monitor, and I take very good care of my cars, so I had every reason to believe a Prius would be a wise investment for me. Unless something changes, I intend to keep it forever (but then that was my intention with my Corolla, so...). At this point, I'm putting about 24,000 miles a year on a car, so I should have a good run with it. It seems perfect for my needs.

KingToph likes this.
  8. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, and yeah, not having or being able to carry a spare tire and related tools would be a deal breaker for me as well even if everything else were perfect.

KingToph likes this.
  9. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This goes back a ways but I used to make fun of the Prius. Then in 2009/2010 friends of ours got a used 2009 Prius. We had to check it out when we went over one evening and it was quite nice. I liked the MPG and the styling wasn't bad plus it was deceivingly roomy inside. I wanted one for my next car. Well, 2012 came and I was going to get a car for my birthday. I convinced myself and my husband that a Mustang would be great. He cautioned me against it as we were planning a family soon. Well, I got a 2012 Mustang v6 Premium with heated leather seats, ambient lighting (it sounds fancy and I liked it, I'd change it up with the season), 6spd manual and the most important part it was Grabber Blue. I loved that car! I had my son in March of 2013 and I made it work. The infant seat wasn't bad in the Mustang. When he moved to the convertible seat (still rear facing for safety as the recommendation is 2 years) it was HORRIBLE on my back! I swallowed my pride and told my husband "You were right". He acted as though I nearly gave him a heart attack. So I began my car search, yet again. I started out looking for a Prius that would be the same as what we owed on the Mustang since I was unemployed after a layoff. I couldn't find one with the features I wanted for that price with low miles. So he told me to consider other cars.

I tried to consider other cars, I really did. The Fit turned me away immediately because it didn't have Bluetooth phone. Then after pulling teeth with the local Ford dealer (not where I got my Mustang from) to do a warranty repair on a bad motor in the seat controls and fix the slack job they did I ended up getting a loaner 2007 Mazda 3. It was a cute little car, fun to drive and I liked it. I began looking at the newer ones and the used market but they didn't have much and the ones they had were the base models but I liked the Mazda Speed3. Though, I kept coming back to the Prius for the MPG and the extra hatchback room. No sedan would do, I liked the hatchback and SUVs don't get the MPG of the Prius.

After increasing our budget a little I still couldn't find much. Then I got a job again! We went from the idea of a used 2010 to a new 2014 with the caveat that I keep it until it dies. So here I am with my shiny new 2014 Prius Three with all the features I want (Blizzard Pearl, solar panel, Bluetooth and backup camera) and couldn't be happier. I like the exterior styling, the MPG and the technology (I'm a software engineer, so a nerd). Plus when I'm driving I feel like a captain of a Star Trek ship. :)

TLDR: I liked the MPG, the exterior styling, the trunk space compared to other hatchbacks I looked at (Mazda 3) and the technology (Bluetooth included, back up camera, hybrid technology and solar panel).

10. longroadtrip

longroadtrip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For me it was the combination of several factors. I really like the looks of this generation, the interior, the tech toys, along with the MPG. Couple that with the price I got it at, compared to what I was paying for my previous vehicle, it was a no brainer. I'm actually saving money and was able to move to a brand new Prius!

11. UserError

UserError Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excited to see so many people from Chicago here. I love cars. Mostly BMW, and other luxury brands. But I love the way the Prius looks. It's unique, futuristic, and a little weird looking. I don't know how to put it, but there is something about it that just draws me.

This. I'm a major geek/nerd. The shape of the car, interior, instrument cluster, all remind me of Star Trek and it's awesome. That and I'm coming from a low end old focus so the 2014 Prius 4 w/solar will feel like a huge improvement. Living in SF has taught me a lot about Prius. Mostly that they are dependable, and according to uber drivers that I've talked to, they love them. None of them have ever said a bad word about them and they were their personal vehicles. I asked them tons of questions and they were always happy to answer and always had good things to say. I can't wait to get my Prius. :)

12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I needed a sedan with great mileage, the right colors (in/out), all the tech features, and reliabilty. For me, it fits just perfectly.

13. Midesaka

Midesaka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The closest dealer for my wife's car is about 100 miles away. After a few years of making that drive for service, I knew I wanted a car with a local dealership. I'd been planning on getting an Avalon Hybrid Touring, but some unexpected expenses left us with a lower car budget. I found my v as a dealer service loaner in a nearby city, and our teens really liked the adjustable second-row legroom.

14. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had two Chevy HHR's back to back. When the second one met an untimely demise I needed a vehicle with similar interior capacity (ok did not really NEED the space but had gotten used to it). The Prius worked plus I get the benefit of mileage that is twice as good as the chevy for my daily commute which is the cars primary duty...

15. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checking Gasbuddy.com, regular is selling for $4.11 (lowest found), to $4.55 a gallon near Pismo Beach, CA! Most of the stations are in the mid $4.20 range. This area usually has the highest average prices in the continental USA! (Nothing to brag about, for sure)! :(

So when we were looking for a replacement for our soon to be turned in, lemon law-ed 2013 Dodge Dart, we were looking for HIGH MPG, but also a hatch back. I was one of those that would never dream of owning a Prius. NOT EVER, as i knew the batteries would fail, they cost too much, you will never make back in gas savings the additional cost you pay, you really only buy one just to be green,, etc. etc.. I had heard all the nay Sayers lines, running through my head. Yet when I saw a hatch back sitting on the lot, walked over, and looked it over inside the hatch back first, then asked myself, "hey, this is nice, what IS THIS thing," only to see it WAS a stinking PRIUS! I almost walked away,, but by then, a sales person was upon me, putting to rest all my nay saying facts! The Fact was, it only cost us $1500 more than a Mazda 3, or Hyundai Elantra GT with similar options, after using a newcar.com quote to get them down to $3K+ below MSRP !!

Besides MPG, the other TOP reasons for buying:

1. Largest space in the rear hatch for cargo with the seats folded down. Better than any similar sized car - hatch backs! Loved the fact the rear seat headrests folded down, rather than needed to be removed, when you fold the seats down. That was a WOW for me in engineering! (If they thought to do this, what else have they though of?)

2. Highest rated Hybrid, for reliability. After the Dart from L being lemon law-ed, and our previous problematic 2010 Honda Accord, I wanted a "purebred track record" on what ever the next car would be. Never owned a Toyota, so will see, but its reviews, and track record, are very impressive.

3. Interior comfort, ride, & space. Better than the Mazda 3, and can live with its disconnected steering wheel feel, for the bonus MPG. Wish it had more Zoom Zoom driving fun factor, but this is basic transportation, Zoom Zoom just gets me into trouble anyway!

Things I wish they would have done a bit different! (Not to complain, but to suggest).

1. Put the Nav, up on the dash where all the engine display stuff is at, put that engine display down where the nav is currently at. I mean really,, nice to see all that gee whiz stuff, but it is not as important as where I am suppose to be going. Get the Nav in the best possible line of sight, and shield it from the sun, so it does not have such a glare where you can not see it. (Yes, I already have bought the aftermarket glare shield).

2. Add back up lines to the back up camera, so you know where the car will be as you back up. I think Toyota is the only one left that has not added green, yellow, and red lines to show you where your car will be going, and how close you are to hitting something.

3. Raise the door -- arm rests. They seem down too low by a couple inches, but then, maybe that has something to do with the side airbag deploying....

4. Get the Nav and Entune to be more like the Dodge U-connect. U-connect is one serious user friendly system, not so much the Entune....

With those improvements,, Prius would be even MORE Purrrfect!

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very funny, but so sad.

How did you get saddled with so much nonsense ? How do you prevent it from happening again ?

17. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All of those negative rumors are out there, mostly from other sales folks trying to sell you their non Hybrid car.

Buying one, will surly prove out what is fact, or Fiction!!! So far, those rumors were all fiction! Of coarse, I have owned the Prius for all of near 3 weeks! Time will tell, and I have wishful thinking, with lots of posts from hear supporting that.

18. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife says "...beam me in, Scottie..." for me to click the remote and unlock the doors (ha,ha).

DrPepperholik and NR427 like this.
  19. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Nice!

I too used to wonder the same things initially but after Prius had been in the US a while I began to notice they weren't doing badly at all and owners weren't having to replace batteries often. When I decided I wanted one (2010 or so) my dad was one of those who said it will take too long to come out ahead on gas savings vs up front cost of the car. Last year, my sister got a used 2010 Prius and a couple of months ago the four of us (mom, dad, sister and me) went to Hendersonville NC, about 45 min up the mountains from home. Dad wanted to drive her car and he liked it. He asked about the batteries and how long they last. My sister (not very technical like our dad and myself) looked up the costs and saw they have gone down since the Prius was first introduced and they have been lasting a long time. I didn't mention anything about being on the market for a new car as I didn't want to hear the whole fatherly speech about saving money, having a loan on the Mustang, yadda yadda so I kept it to myself. Funny thing was when I got the dealer to order it I called Dad to talk about something unrelated and we ended up talking about my sister's car. He went on about how he liked it and it was a nice car, drove well, rode well, roomy etc. I told him "I'm glad to hear you like it because I just got one." He laughed and said "Are you sh*#@*ng me?" He's been impressed with my MPG and says they're good cars. My sister and I converted a naysayer, our own father.

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Overall monthly savings from 1200 a month to 800 :)

iPhone ?