1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb with a 2003

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FireFighterHill, Jun 4, 2016.

1. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well I just ventured into the land of Prius. Not sure I made a wise purchase. I got a 2003 Prius with a bad Hybrid battery off of craigslist for 400 bucks. Ive already pulled the battery and it has lots of corrosion. Haven't fully disassembled it yet. Found another guy local who will sell me the hybrid pack from his wrecked 2002. He said it was running fine before he totaled it. I talked him down to 200 for the used battery pack. Im trying to bring the OEM 12v battery back to life as we speak. It was dead as a door nail when I tested it. If I have to replace that battery im looking at another 150 dollars for the optima yellow top. If im lucky ill have a running 2003 prius for under 800 bucks. Crossing my fingers.

pshawfocus, bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  2. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a good price. That is what I paid for my 2001 6 years ago and I still drive it. I went through the battery as well. If you have access to a factory scan tool or mini VCI for Toyota there is an on board equalization charge that is available for the gen 1. Clean up all the connector bars,be very careful, class 0 electrical gloves are standard equipment for hybrid repairs. Get them. That battery is 273.6 volts and WILL KILL YOU! The yellow top is the best choice.

FireFighterHill likes this.
  3. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Tony, thanks for the advice. Where can I get a mini VCI? have a link?

4. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check eBay, there are like a dozen listings. Also, Torque is a great app with Bluetooth CAN OBD II adapter.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! just google it, they're easy to find. you need an old windows laptop to run it on. all the best!(y)

6. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm thinking about putting a grid charger on it after I make sure I can get running and driving.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a good idea.

8. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use Orion BMS for hybrid conversions to replace the pack with Lithium. Plus charger, wiring, contactor control module, network adapter. Not for the faint of heart, but well worth it.

9. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    While id LOVE to do that im on a very tight budget. And if I were going to do a lithium conversion id find a Prius with less miles and a better body. The clear coat and pait has faded in the hot florida sun, it has a few small dents and scraps. I bought it cause I got it cheap, I really enjoy fixing things, and I commute about 1,000 miles a week or more!

bisco likes this.
  10. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I forgot this is a gen 1 car. Whoops! It's a bit harder to do on those.

11. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think the first "mod" will be either the Venice grid charger kit or the Hybrid Automotive grid charger kit. I like the price of the Venice but the extras that come with the Hybrid Automotive.

12. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard a few that like the grid charger.

13. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I mainly want it so I can avoid ever having to take the battery back out again. It should greatly increase the life of the traction battery. What a PITA. It wasn't very difficult, just very time consuming.

14. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You get really fast at it after a while.

15. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey Tony, im about to pull the trigger on a bluetooth OBD2 adapter, any you can recommend that work exceptionally well with the prius? Or do I need the USB version that comes with software for a toyota?

16. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are many ELM 327 chip clones. The best is a Bluetooth adapter. I have a USB, wireless, and Bluetooth. The BT is the fastest in my experience. The wifi one barely worked at all. I bought mine from an Australian company off eBay. Use a seller with good feedback is my best suggestion. I'll look through my eBay later to see where I bought the mini VCI, and let me tell you. I have the techstream scan tool (military spec toughbook) and I have the mini VCI. So far it works every bit as well as the techstream. Even better since all the techstreams at work are all loaded to the gills with antivirus software. It works better than the old toyota mastertech scantool.

17. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The one I found on Amazon that has the best reviews is the "
    BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices" And I need the "Torque" app, anything else toyota or prius specific i need to interface with the car?

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  18. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well. You'll have to find somewhere on here is the seawolf list of PIDs you can import to Torque. Some of the math is a bit wonky or nonexistent on there, but it'll get you started.

19. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well I ordered the one I listed in my previous post. I'll have to try to find those PID's. Thanks for your input.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While you have the battery out, consider putting in three, 300-600V, 1-5A diodes wired to charge only. One on each connector pin and the other across the safety interlock. Wired for charge only, it is not a safety or short issue but I would recommend a cap connector easy to reach.

Then find the traction battery wires and add a wire-OR, Schottkey diodes so you charger can cool the batteries BEFOR charging and during.

Bob Wilson