1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbe with a few questions about the Prius battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PrimaryPriusPal, Dec 11, 2015.

1. PrimaryPriusPal

PrimaryPriusPal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello fellow Prius owners!
    My car is a 2012 Prius 5 door hybrid with just under 47K miles on it. Whether it is a "Generation 3" is unknown to me as I am in no way a technical kind of guy.
    As a rule, I would buy a new car every 3 years. But, ever since owning and LOVING my 2012 Prius I am having 2nd thoughts about trading it in.
    Now, for my questions to y'all:

Once my battery is "fully charged" (according to the battery icon on the dashboard) Just how many miles can I expect if I use the battery only? I ask this because the battery is constantly charging and discharging as I drive. My Prius averages 51.6 MPG on long drives (From Ocala to Dallas to OK City to Mt Rushmore and back as an example) which I have no complaints at all other than road noise.

Being a "Hybrid" I realize it operates on both the engine and battery together, both or one of the 2 whichever the computer decides. What I want to know, and just cannot figure out even when I try to is just how many miles can be expected if using the battery exclusively?

The most I have gotten is 4.6 miles before the engine kicked in. Somehow this seems very wrong. Especially when 100% electric Priuses get HUNDREDS of miles per charge.

Is there something wrong with my battery?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly: Have any of you given thought towards the Camry Hybrid?

Regards,
    Premium Prius Pal

2. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Toyota states something in the vicinity of 1 mile for electric range. In practice, it uses the engine most of the time excepting when you're creeping in traffic, or driving a steady speed under 40mph on a flat to downhill stretch of road. I've found electric range to be determined by the length of the downhill stretch in a 35 mph zone.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!(y)

1) you cannot go more than a mile or two on electric, unless going slightly downhill.

2) my pip (plug in prius) gets 10-16 miles on a charge, based on how fast i drive, accelerate, outside temp and hills.

3) we're on our second hycam (hybrid camry) fantastic car, average low 40's mpg's, quiet, powerful, smooth, comfortable. my wife loves it, and i do when we head down your way.:cool:

4) all the best!

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Except for in low speed situations like parking lots, you usually don't want to use as much battery as possible. All the energy for a non-plugin Prius comes from gas. The battery is there to mainly to help boost the small engine's power, capture energy when braking, and to allow the engine to turn off and on as needed. Trying to see how far you can go on the battery in everyday driving will likely lower your mileage.

The battery in your Prius is about 1/20th the size of the battery in a Nissan Leaf and only about half of the capacity is used in order to maximize the life expectancy. Tesla's are currently the only EVs that can go hundreds of miles per charge. They can only do this because they have batteries about 4 times bigger than the Leaf's.

This video is a good intro into how to maximize mileage in a Prius.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You own a Gen 3.

You seem to both grasp...and yet not understand the hybrid concept.
    Even the PiP is a hybrid.
    No Prius is going to allow you to use the battery exclusively for too long, regardless of state of battery charge.
    If yours is a standard Prius and you coaxed 4.6 miles of electric travel out of her....good job.

HSD or Hybrid Synergy Drive is dependent on the "Synergy" part. That's a cooperation between ICE and Electric Motor. There's software mojo at work that automatically will determine when the engine should kick in. You can have a fully charged Hybrid Battery and if the engine get's too cold the vehicle will kick on the ICE to keep it up to temp, for emissions purposes.

The longest periods of time I've been able to stay in EV mode have probably come in traffic jams, and in that case I'm just happy about the gas I'm saving while inching along, not really how far I'm getting on electric.

In any case, I personally enjoy the freedom of NOT paying too close attention to when my engine is kicking on and off. I trust the software. If I develop a problem, I figure I'll get a code or the operation will be so evident I notice. What I judge my Prius's performance on is full and multiple tank MPG, as long as it's giving me good/great efficiency at the pump? Then I say The Prius is OK.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ... and lower the life-span of the battery, too. There's really no point in trying.

7. PrimaryPriusPal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all so much for your input.
    Quite honestly, I was floored by the all-electric Prius getting so few miles per charge.
    It has been my experience over the past 3 years that getting up to speed (especially on highways) by using the PWR button and then the ECO button once up to speed is best. Having the advantage of living in Florida where hills are a rarity allows me to play around with the gauges. (As shown in the YouTube clip. Which I did not watch in its entirety due to time constraints.)
    Completely letting up on the accelerator actually charges the battery at speeds over 40 MPH.
    I have also found that if you watch the MPG per minute gauge which is done by holding the selector button when the 5 minute graph is up and letting up on the accelerator at exactly 58 seconds (With enough in the battery) it will consistently read 100 MPG (A cheat? yes. BUT it does work.)
    One experience I will share with you:
    While coasting down a very steep, long hill in AZ, the Prius got as fast as 105 MPH! The battery charged fully by the time I was at the bottom of the hill. That was quite the rush.
    Overall, I comprehend the gas to battery ratios etc. Thus my quite acceptable 51.6 MPH average.
    The PWR button really impresses people who think a Prius is a slow car!
    Now to figure out how to get rid of the road noise...
    Has anyone considered a Camry Hybrid?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're on our second hycam. fabulous machine. if you can put up with 45 mpg.:p

for road noise, you may want to consider quieter tyres and some dynomat.

9. PrimaryPriusPal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have replaced the tires which added 0.6 MPG!. What is dynomat?
    45 MPH w/o the road noise would work. Just as long as the Camry was loaded with every available feature.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dynomat, and other brands, are sound deadening insulation. people start under the spare tyre, and are so pleased with the change, they pull the carpets, and do the whole floor. then inside the doors and wheel wells and voila! lexus.:p